Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#158816 - 04/05/2003 10:19 Getting drunk in Phoenix
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Anyone have any suggestions before I get on the plane? Since I'll be meeting 4 of the guys I used to work with there, this will certainly be the first order of business. We're staying downtown at the crowne plaza (north first street), so either in that area, or the number to a decent cab service would be helpful.

Also, since I'll probably wind up in one whether I like it or not, a decent strip club.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#158817 - 04/05/2003 12:10 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
decent strip club
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

(In other words, isn't the point of a strip club deliberate indecency?)

#158818 - 04/05/2003 13:13 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Downtown has some great bars. Just south of Washington (behind America West Arena) is Alice Cooperstown. Good food, rock/sport theme. I like it. Also around there is Jackson's on 5th. Majerle's is on 3rd st, just south of Van Buren. It's a smallish sports bar, but fun also. Networks seems to be the place where a lot of business types hang out. Arizona Center on Van Buren and 3rd St. has Phoenix Live - like 3 bars in one. That place is fun.

Your hotel is central to all of them - nice location.

I don't know the number to any cab services here...

Edited by Tim (04/05/2003 13:21)

#158819 - 05/05/2003 18:22 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

(In other words, isn't the point of a strip club deliberate indecency?)

Not the intended meaning of decnt. I meant more like not too disgusting, decent looking women (no cesarian scars or cellulite) and the chairs aren'ts ticky..
I'm still holding out hope that I may one day get a decent drink when they insist on taking me along. They get whiny when I don't want to go out with the group.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#158820 - 05/05/2003 18:40 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
They get whiny when I don't want to go out with the group.
Try insisting on going to a club of your choosing if they want you to go out with them, then take them to a male strip club.

#158821 - 05/05/2003 22:59 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I meant more like not too disgusting
I know, I was just making a joke...

and the chairs aren't sticky
EEEeeewwwwww....

#158822 - 05/05/2003 23:01 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

then take them to a male strip club
And what makes you sure she'd want to go there instead?

For that matter, what makes you think the guys would NOT want to go there?

#158823 - 06/05/2003 05:51 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI

I guess if we've established they want to go to a strip club nothing is impossible. I've never been to one of either type, and I really doubt I'm missing anything.

#158824 - 06/05/2003 06:12 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Daria]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I guess if we've established they want to go to a strip club nothing is impossible. I've never been to one of either type, and I really doubt I'm missing anything.
I certainly don't go to strip clubs, but they are wildly popular around here (San Antonio is a military town). Our ex-help desk guy used to swing by the one next door to where I work at least once a week with one of our other programmers. It's really a concept I can't get my head around; it just seems a strange thing to casually do for lunch. I suppose it’s just so far off my radar I wouldn’t get it, though most of the guys I work with have frequented such places at one time or another (granted many of them are ex-military).

#158825 - 06/05/2003 07:14 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: JeffS]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Yeah - I have always been very into the opposite sex, in a pretty physical kind of way (settled down now - married with kids does that to you) but I could never understand the appeal of strip clubs. I mean, you pay to see someone take off their clothes and pretend to be into you for a few minutes. Sounds emotionally disturbing. Admittedly, I know lots of guys and girls who really dig it and they seem well balanced (relatively) but I always found it was fun to get friendly enough with girls that they wanted to take their clothes off without requesting money up front (fnarrr!)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#158826 - 06/05/2003 07:22 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
There are two places I wouldn't miss..

One is Richardson's restaurant. They have things like "Chorizo stuffed pork chops" on the menu. Really delicious and strange.

The other is Oregano's pizza right near the convention center. They have Southwest style pizza that is way better than it sounds and server half cooked cookies for dessert.

#158827 - 06/05/2003 07:34 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: larry818]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
half cooked cookies
Mmmmmm.... Salmonella....

#158828 - 06/05/2003 07:45 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Tim]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
On a slight tangent, how is the tech job market in the Phoenix area? That is one of the areas of the country that I have lightly penciled in to focus my job search on, should I not be able to find anything around here. I have friends down that way, and its close-ish proximity to several other points of interest has me thinking it might be worth looking into. I have plans to visit friends down there later this summer, and it probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a few job interviews lined up, if possible.

#158829 - 06/05/2003 07:52 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

And what makes you sure she'd want to go there instead?

Exactly. Penis + thong + lip gloss = WRONG! Unless you've completed the look with the dress and heels as well. Yucky. Man panties. I'll take the titty bar any day.

It wouldn't even phase these guys. They came along with me and some of my friends to the gay roller disco and didn't think anything of it.

#158830 - 06/05/2003 07:56 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: frog51]
Heather
addict

but I could never understand the appeal of strip clubs.

I don't either, and I worked in one very briefly. After a year in the business, most of the women there tended to become sexually attracted to other women, and I never got that bit either. But it did keep me out of a situation that might have led me to filing for bankruptcy.

#158831 - 06/05/2003 08:18 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I never got that bit either
got meaning acquired or understood? Or both?

#158832 - 06/05/2003 08:31 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
TheRhino

Loc: Aurora, CO
There are some really excellent bars next to the Bank One ballpark. The stadium itself is also pretty sweet if you want to take in a game. The coolest thing I did down there is go tubing down some river (forgot the name of it). You basically tie all the tubes together with a beer tube in the middle and float down the river whilst getting drunk with your friends. Fun time had by all...

#158833 - 06/05/2003 08:37 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: tonyc]
Tim
veteran

On a slight tangent, how is the tech job market in the Phoenix area?

Honestly, I don't even know. I don't pay much attention to job availability outside of my area of interest. I'll try to check around and let you know.

#158834 - 06/05/2003 08:41 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: TheRhino]
Tim
veteran

The coolest thing I did down there is go tubing down some river (forgot the name of it).

The Salt River. I don't think it opens until Memorial Day weekend. It is fun, as long as you do the simple basic stuff to keep from becoming dehydrated (no fun) or getting 2nd-3rd degree sunburns (also no fun)

#158835 - 06/05/2003 10:38 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: frog51]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
I must ask about the sig...
A quick search alleges that you are an evil ritualist who does
terrible and strange blood rituals
Hmmmmm.......

#158836 - 06/05/2003 10:56 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

But it did keep me out of a situation that might have led me to filing for bankruptcy.
Now that sounds like a very interesting story!

#158837 - 06/05/2003 10:59 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: frog51]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I could never understand the appeal of strip clubs. I mean, you pay to see someone take off their clothes and pretend to be into you for a few minutes.
My main problem with the idea (among many others) is that the performers all have fake boobs. Mind you, I've never been in a strip club, so perhaps the way they're portrayed in films and television is inaccurate. But my point is that I think slicone breast implants are unattractive, so why would I enjoy paying to look at that sort of thing.

#158838 - 06/05/2003 17:23 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: tfabris]
davekirk
journeyman

Loc: Las Vegas
Just a few comments from one of us degenerates who HAS been in a strip club. (Gimme a break, I live in Las Vegas.)
My main problem with the idea (among many others) is that the performers all have fake boobs. -tfabris
This is not true. I wouldn't even say that most have fakes; although the percentage is certainly higher than in any other group you could choose.
After a year in the business, most of the women there tended to become sexually attracted to other women, and I never got that bit either. - bxgurl
I have also noticed that this definitely IS true.
"I've never been in a strip club; but can't imagine why anyone would want to go." -various (my paraphrasing of similar comments)
I thought (and had said) the same... until the day I was talked into actually going to a club. It always seemed like it would be sleazier than the reality.

Be careful. It is absolutely true that it can quickly get very, very expensive; especially for those who have been drinking excessively.
and the chairs aren't sticky
I also have to say... EEEeeewwwwww....

#158839 - 06/05/2003 18:33 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: davekirk]
Tim
veteran

Just a few comments from one of us degenerates who HAS been in a strip club. (Gimme a break, I live in Las Vegas.)

Oddly enough, the only strip clubs I've been to have been in Vegas. Crazy Horse Too use to have these twins... One was named Diamond, don't remember the other's name though. It was good harmless fun, mostly

#158840 - 06/05/2003 18:48 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
It wouldn't even phase these guys.
Ah, well. Just a thought. Most of the guys I know that frequent peeler bars would balk pretty heavily at knowingly going into a club featuring man panties (thank you ever so much for expanding my vocabulary there).

#158841 - 06/05/2003 20:47 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I'm not sure which shocks me more;

a) You admitting that on a public male-dominated internet BBS.
or
b) That no-one has made any leery comments.

#158842 - 06/05/2003 21:12 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: genixia]
Daria
carpal tunnel

We're a high class crowd.

Or we play one on TV.

#158843 - 07/05/2003 03:45 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: ashmoore]
frog51
pooh-bah

My current sig was the best line from a googlisms search for "Rory". It amused me somewhat, although I haven't yet made the effort to find out about Tanturak.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#158844 - 07/05/2003 10:44 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: frog51]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#158845 - 07/05/2003 11:12 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: wfaulk]
Heather
addict

Bitt
got meaning acquired or understood? Or both?

Both.

TheRhino
The stadium itself is also pretty sweet if you want to take in a game.

No thanks. Baseball (I'm assuming) is boooooorrrrrring. I'll find a better use for the extra two days reprieve my GM gave me.

Tony
Now that sounds like a very interesting story!

It isn't. Just a swift lesson in exactly how much the lifestyle I'm accustomed to cost.

that the performers all have fake boobs

Not even half. The place I worked at rarely hired anyone with fakes. Maybe 25%-30%. Unless it's Scores. Then they've all had one form of plastic surgery.

dbrashear
I guess if we've established they want to go to a strip club nothing is impossible.

This is one of their more normal behaviors then. I don't think there's anything strange about it at all. Have I mentioned how much I miss working with them? Some of the customer call reports from VoA were hilarious.

FerretBoy
I certainly don't go to strip clubs, but they are wildly popular around here (San Antonio is a military town).

Understandable. I still don't know why Alix (S.O.) got so pissed off when I asked for a reccomendation for a hotel without hookers in the parking lot (near Camp Lejuene). Those things tend to be all over the place near military bases, and you'll know where they are whether you're looking for them or not.

Rory
get friendly enough with girls that they wanted to take their clothes off without requesting money up front

Oh Please. Physically, emoitionally, financially, you probably indirectly paid for it somehow. Women are pretty good at getting their pound of flesh.

genixia
I'm not sure which shocks me more;

a) You admitting that on a public male-dominated internet BBS.

Why? All things considered, it was a job like any other one, only with better hours and pay. I seldom spend time around other women (all of my friends are male too). This is a good thing. I tend to not get along well with other women.

or

In this place? I've never noticed anything of the sort here. The majority of the posters come off as perfect gentlemen.

#158846 - 07/05/2003 12:59 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: davekirk]
jasonc

It always seemed like it would be sleazier than the reality.

I've been to my share of strip places (A few of my friends are into it), but I have yet to find one that I couldn't easily describe as sleazy.

On a side note, there's one in Springfield, IL that has a large sign stating "100 Beatiful Women, And 3 Ugly Ones".

#158847 - 07/05/2003 13:32 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: jasonc]
davekirk
journeyman

Loc: Las Vegas
I have yet to find one that I couldn't easily describe as sleazy.
I didn't exactly say strip clubs aren't sleazy. They are, of course. I thought they would be sleazier than is actually the case, before I had seen one.
A lot of clubs are still too sleazy for me to visit, but not all. This point relates back to Heather's original post looking for "a decent stip club".

Edited by davekirk (07/05/2003 14:35)

#158848 - 07/05/2003 13:46 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
Daria
carpal tunnel

In this place? I've never noticed anything of the sort here. The majority of the posters come off as perfect gentlemen.

An Oscar-worthy performance in some cases I bet *cough*mine*cough*.

#158849 - 08/05/2003 01:04 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
frog51
pooh-bah

In reply to:

Physically, emotionally, financially, you probably indirectly paid for it somehow. Women are pretty good at getting their pound of flesh.

That seems a little harsh, although I have met folks who that would apply to (even psychologically.) Some have no hidden agenda that I could find, or else their goal was the same as mine, and so the situation was a win-win.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#158850 - 08/05/2003 08:10 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Tim]
Tim
veteran

I checked with a few people, and they didn't know what the job market was like here either. The only person in the tech sector that I knew here moved like 3 years ago to take a job in Boca Raton.

Basically, I'm saying that I am no help at all.

#158851 - 08/05/2003 08:33 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Tim]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Basically, I'm saying that I am no help at all.
Hehe... Thanks for looking into it anyway. I've been doing research online and by talking to my buddy down there, but around here, you never know what kind of knowledge is lurking. Especially in this Off Topic forum, where I've seen people get answers to every kind of question you can imagine.

We should rename this forum The Oracle.

#158852 - 08/05/2003 10:09 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
ashmoore
addict

The majority of the posters come off as perfect gentlemen

This is most likely because most guys here are not 'true techies' , no offense intended to any true techies here btw
Could this be because the empeg is not just a tech toy? Its primary design use is for something other than sitting in a darkened room while its owner is coding
Most of us here seem to be (mostly) balanced, socially aware beings who enjoy interracting IRL.
I guess......

#158853 - 08/05/2003 11:08 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: ashmoore]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
So by "true techie" you would be refering the Unix guy at my old ISP that slept under his desk....

#158854 - 08/05/2003 11:23 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: mwest]
ashmoore
addict

THATS the type!
Too scared to meet other people, let alone interract with them.
I worked with a guy like that, very strange. He couldn't drive either and I mean couldn't drive. He spent over two years in lessons and still couldn't make it happen.

#158855 - 08/05/2003 11:47 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: mwest]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I've slept under my desk a time or two, though not in the last five years or so.

#158856 - 08/05/2003 14:36 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: wfaulk]
Tim
veteran

In school, during prelim design it wasn't uncommon to see people sleeping on the desks. Everybody was use to the sight (including the professor).

#158857 - 08/05/2003 15:05 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: mwest]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I slept under my desk once or twice. That floor is *hard*.

I had to be at work early for a power-down, and then be around when power came back. The day before had been Christmas and I was up late.

We used to do it every year. No more.

Yay!

#158858 - 08/05/2003 15:24 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Daria]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Thats what they make bubble wrap for. It also works to insulate if you happen to have a tile covered cement floor. Makes me shudder to think about it. I HAD managed to suppress that memory until this thread came up.

#158859 - 08/05/2003 17:00 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Neutrino]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I can't remember how I insulated myself on the other side. I don't recall getting any heat, and my window office has heat loss.

#158860 - 09/05/2003 03:10 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Daria]
frog51
pooh-bah

Never slept under my desk - slept under a lot of other people's though. The carpet is always softer in the next cubicle.

Spent a few nights sleeping on a radiator in an observatory dome on Mount Stromlo once. MMMMmmm, Toasty!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#158861 - 09/05/2003 17:30 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: frog51]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
When I worked in the Comms centre in birmingham I remember having an early shift on new years day (0600 start). So I went to the BBC club for their new years do, it got to about 0400 and I was still in the club pissed out of my head. I decided I'd go into work and sleep it off the comms planning office. I had two hours on the floor and then trudged next door to sleep in one of comfy chairs in the operations area. I managed to sleep through until the EMX went off at about midday then someone rang in to complain the new years ceremony from vienna had a 100ms delay in the audio.

Happy days!!

Andy M

#158862 - 12/05/2003 05:46 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: wfaulk]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I've slept under my desk a time or two, though not in the last five years or so.

Yeah, I've taken to staying in my chair now days... No need to try to hide the obvious...

#158863 - 12/05/2003 06:38 Re: Getting drunk in Phoenix [Re: Heather]
Redrum
old hand

I would imagine being a stripper would be good for your self-esteem. My self-image would definitely go up if women were stuffing $20’s in my underwear.

I think I could live with the fact that they were only interested in me for my body.

Sorry, nothing to add about Phoenix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >