Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16152 - 30/08/2000 16:41 ID3 v.2 comment field prevents sync?
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I just sent this off to the Empeg guys. Can anyone else reproduce this?
I noticed when i tried to add a list of about 30 mp3's that were downloaded from MP3.com, that only about 5 of them actually made it to the Empeg. I figured that there was a sync error, so i tried again, same thing. I deleted the playlist, synced. Then, recreated it, dragged them over, same thing. So after a while of messing around with it and trying to up one at a time, i noticed that some would work while others wouldn't. The only difference in the mp3's was in the comment field. I opened one in Winamp and removed the ID3 tag (file info, then remove iD3 tag button)...but noticed that when i checked the properties in Emplode, that there was still tag info there...so i'm going on the assumption that Winamp removed the v.1 tag and Emplode is reading the v.2 tag. I tried to sync again, with the v.1 tag gone. .. same result. it would go through the paces...say it uploaded and sync completed, but when Emplode refreshed, it wasn't there. So i noticed then that when i looked at the properties in Emplode for one of the ones that wouldn't sync, it had an insanely long comment field. Couple hundred characters at least. So, i deleted it, applyed it, synced it, and it worked fine. This was repeated on about 10 other MP3's. So, That leads me to believe there is some bug in Emplode when it comes to REALLY long comment fields in v.2 ID3 tags. Can anyone confirm this?

||| loren.cox
||| 12GB blue

#16153 - 30/08/2000 17:05 Re: ID3 v.2 comment field prevents sync? [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Interesting catch. Did you save off the "bad" version of one of these files to send to the Empeg folks so they could make sure their code handled it?

Also, check out MP3Trim. It's got an analysis box that can tell you all the things that are wrong with an MP3 file.

#16154 - 30/08/2000 17:26 Re: ID3 v.2 comment field prevents sync? [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Yeah, i still have some of the offending files... i didn't send though. Think i should send another note to them with a file attached?

I checked em out in MP3Trim, and i can't seem to discern any differences in the ones that didn't work over the ones that did. There's no obvious errors in MP3Trims analysis box. Hrmmmm....

||| loren.cox
||| 12GB blue

#16155 - 30/08/2000 23:14 Re: ID3 v.2 comment field prevents sync? [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Think i should send another note to them with a file attached?

Ask them if they want one. They probably will.

There's no obvious errors in MP3Trims analysis box.

Interesting! Then it's possible that you have a valid MP3 file with an unusually large (but legal) field which confuses Emplode. All the more reason to send one to the developers.

#16156 - 31/08/2000 00:12 Re: ID3 v.2 comment field prevents sync? [Re: loren]
jhr
new poster

Loc: Göteborg, Sweden
I also have had a similar experience, and has submitted it to bugs@empeg. I first thought this was a ID3v2 tag problem, but I now am pretty sure it is a emplode/player software limitation in the way the properties dialog accepts information. What I have found is that this problem is not limited to the comment field. I have been able to reperform this error at will. Just enter enough information in the property dialog fields and resync. You will find that at some point, when a certain limit on the amount of informaiton is exceeded, an already uploaded file will disappear in emplode/playlist on the empeg. However, it is still residing on the disc. You get a playlist icon with a red arrow.

/jhr

Mark 1 #317 - 20GB blue
Mark 2 #080000217 - 18 GB amber
Mk2 #080000217 - 20+30 GB amber
spare Mk2a 010101934 10 GB blue

#16157 - 31/08/2000 03:13 Re: ID3 v.2 comment field prevents sync? [Re: loren]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
It finally dawned on me this morning where the problem was. Everyone was talking about failures to download etc. when in fact the files were downloading perfectly. It was during the database rebuild phase that things were going awry. It failed to read the entire set of tags due to them being a bit large and totally ignored the file. The file is there, and once this bug is fixed you may find that a lot of stuff reappears (provided the space hasn't been reused by subsequent synchronise operations).

So, at the moment there's no need to drown our pitiful internet connection with huge MP3 files. This should be fixed in v1.01 when it is released.

Thanks to all that have reported it.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#16158 - 31/08/2000 09:29 Re: ID3 v.2 comment field prevents sync? [Re: mac]
loren
carpal tunnel

Saweeet. I thought of that but never hooked up a serial cable to poke around and see if the files where there or not. Nice. Chalk another bug up ta bein' fixed =]. Thanks Guys!!

||| loren.cox
||| 12GB blue