Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#161959 - 17/05/2003 01:20 Loose handle / weak springs
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Hi,

It seems that after owning and using myempeg for a while, the springs for the handle have loosened up a little. The handle no longer stays snug against the face of the empeg. When I'm driving down the road, a mighty ruckus is created by the handle rattling against the front.

I have the empeg open today to upgrade a drive, and have confirmed that it's really weak, and it wasn't just any sort of alignment issue with the fascia or anything. So, now the question is what can I do about it? Does anyone know of a source for little springs like that? Is there any trick I could try to retension them? Any ideas at all?

#161960 - 17/05/2003 01:56 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: adavidw]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I did a rather difficult little trick involving making a change to where the springs actually connect to the hinge units (the pieces that have the sled grip hooks at the top). If I recall correctly, I had to notch the metal of the hinge units a bit. It was a real PITA to do because fiddling with those springs is always difficult.

Can't make pictures of it right now, my player is in the middle of a big synch. If there's enough interest, I'll do pictures tomorrow.

#161961 - 17/05/2003 03:54 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: tfabris]
adavidw
addict

I'd love to see pictures, as I believe the current point of attachment is less than ideal.

As you pull the handle out, at the end of its travel, small handle movements get translated into a large amount of spring travel. At the other end of the travel, though, it's almost like it isn't stretching the spring at all, but rather sort of pivoting it.

#161962 - 17/05/2003 05:27 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: adavidw]
ilDuce
journeyman

Well... I had the same problem... And just crammed a small piece of plastic beneath the fascia and chassi.. So that now the handle vibrates against a soft rubber/plastic thing... instead of being vibrated against hard metall.. resonating into the dash..=)

#161963 - 17/05/2003 09:59 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: adavidw]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'd love to see pictures, as I believe the current point of attachment is less than ideal.
Okie Dokie.

#161964 - 17/05/2003 22:04 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: tfabris]
adavidw
addict

Geez, Tony, I finally find something to ask that's not already covered in the FAQ, and you have to go and create a FAQ entry just so you can FAQ me with it. Sheesh.

I like what you did. It looks like it would be hard, but not too hard to keep me from trying it. Tell me, is the handle pretty snug now?

I'm out of town and don't have my Dremel with me, but when I get it, I might try this. First, though, I want to make sure no one knows where I might find some replacement springs.

Anyone?

#161965 - 18/05/2003 05:13 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: adavidw]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Try the small parts bins at Home Depot. The ones around here have loads of tiny little springs and other gizmos.

Cheers

#161966 - 18/05/2003 07:25 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: adavidw]
Gazz
journeyman

Loc: Alice Springs - Australia
Cut the spring a bit shorter and Flip up a loop of spring with some needle nose pliers to make a new hook, Field Engineering Hack for replacement springs. Sgotta be better than dremmeling? Gazz.

#161967 - 18/05/2003 23:39 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: adavidw]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Geez, Tony, I finally find something to ask that's not already covered in the FAQ, and you have to go and create a FAQ entry just so you can FAQ me with it. Sheesh.
Heh, truth is, I'd been wanting to do a write-up on it for a while and never got around to it. You just reminded me it needed to be done.

Tell me, is the handle pretty snug now?
Quite snug. Snaps smartly into place every time, not a hint of rattle.

#161968 - 18/05/2003 23:42 Re: Loose handle / weak springs [Re: Gazz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Cut the spring a bit shorter and Flip up a loop of spring with some needle nose pliers to make a new hook, Field Engineering Hack for replacement springs.
I've had bad experiences with trying to do that in the past. Either breaking the spring, or the resulting spring loop not being reliable enough to stay hooked into place permanently.