Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#162585 - 06/06/2003 23:32 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well, there are very many people who are fans of backing up. I was merely giving an idea of the process involved if you wish to do so.

Besides, Bitt's point was that it is impossible to get certain [most] shows on DVD. I'm not a Greg the Bunny fan, but I seriously doubt that the show will ever be on DVD.

Then there's shows that are on DVD, but I consider as much a crime to buy as to burn myself. If I wanted to own every episode of Dragonball and Drgonball Z on DVD, I'd have to spend upwards of $3000! I'm also not backing them up, because that would take a heck of a lot of DVDs, but I could if I wanted to, and it would be much cheaper.

Like I said in my post, I'm getting it to the point where I can complete the process fairly quickly. Besides, I doubt the people on your ReplayTV boards acheived the speedy extraction process overnight.

Currently, I use a program to extract the video. I use another to split and mux the files into an mpg, and I can then burn the file using TMPGEnc DVD Author. That is three steps, but they can still be improved on.

#162586 - 06/06/2003 23:33 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm waiting for my NewsRadio DVDs, too
I was so happy when I heard about that. It's about damned time. I heard about that release and the release of The Tick (animated series) at the same time. Good day

#162587 - 06/06/2003 23:39 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Sweet!

I didn't know about that. I figured we were screwed on the NewsRadio.

#162588 - 06/06/2003 23:42 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: DeadFire]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't watch sitcoms.
Way to grasp the point.

Okay, then, based on your earlier examples of shows you watch, I wouldn't hold my breath for Viper or Kung Fu: The Legend Continues DVDs.

#162589 - 06/06/2003 23:47 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oops, looks like I may have spoken too soon. I think it's the live action Tick that's coming out on DVD. I suppose my subconscious wants it as badly as I do.

#162590 - 06/06/2003 23:48 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Haha, I would love to see Viper on DVD! Those were the greatest ads...

#162591 - 07/06/2003 09:55 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm waiting for my NewsRadio DVDs, too.
Absolutely! One of the maybe four or five sitcoms I'd actually want to own all the episodes of. Once the video extraction thing becomes less painful than a tooth extraction, I will definitely look forward to being able to collect all the News Radio episodes. Let's just hope it stays in syndication somewhere, I think I'm down to one channel around here that shows it.

#162592 - 07/06/2003 10:02 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, I agree. Usually, even if I find them funny, sitcoms don't really bear repeat watching. NewsRadio does. It's probably one of the best sitcoms ever. Even after Phil Hartman died and the quality went way downhill, it was still the funniest thing on TV. But after about half a season, it picked back up again and was almost as funny as before. But nothing could have replaced Phil.

The only other sitcoms I can think of that I'd like to own are The Simpsons and some other short-lived ones, like The Tick and Greg the Bunny.

Of course, what they really need to release is the second season of Twin Peaks.

#162593 - 07/06/2003 10:11 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I agree. Newsradio was brilliant. Unfortunately, I have no channels that I know of that run it anymore. I think A&E was running it in the mornings for a while, and I had Tivo recording it the whole time. The unfortunate thing is it was the first time I had regularly watched the show, and I picked up the syndication after the Phil episodes ended, then it went back to the start of the series, and right before they aired the episode after Phil Hartman died, they completely stopped airing the show. I hated that. I really wanted to see that episode and finish the rest of the series.

Does anyone have it on their computer?

#162594 - 07/06/2003 10:16 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Uh huh. I have to admit it was an acquired taste for me, though. The reason? Andy Dick. I can't stand the guy. So whenever I flipped by and News Radio was on, I associated the show with him, and looked elsewhere for my entertainment.

One day, though, I watched a full episode (I don't think he had a major part in it) and I started to get hooked on the show. Then as I watched it more, I kinda came to an understanding about Andy Dick. He wasn't put in the show to be funny, because he clearly isn't funny. But he makes a lot of the other characters on the show more funny in their reactions and dealings with him. It's a simple concept, of course, basically he's a comedic foil, but he's such a bumbling idiot that I couldn't see that until I really watched the show more closely and thought about the interactions between the characters. Now he doesn't bother me at all, even in episodes where he's the central character.

#162595 - 07/06/2003 11:13 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Did you ever see The Ben Stiller Show? It was a sketch show with him, Ben Stiller (obviously), Janeane Garofalo, and Bob Odenkirk (of Mr. Show fame). Andy was funny in that, too. I think it's before he got all drugged up and self-important. I think Andy played a great character on NewsRadio, and always did, even if I find his later stuff to be wildly unfunny. That being said, I can often have a problem disassociating an actor's performance with another of his, so I understand.

#162596 - 07/06/2003 13:23 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I also loved Andy Dick on Newsradio, but I couldn't stand the Ben Stiller Show. It looked like a bunch of my friends and I with a video camera, ie: everything is improved and very funny to us, but just stupid to anyone else watching.

#162597 - 07/06/2003 13:38 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I can understand not liking TBSS, but you at least have to admit that it's way different from The Andy Dick Show, which is a pile of crap, as far as I can see.

#162598 - 07/06/2003 14:22 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I never watched that, but I can see how that might happen.

I'm just mad because "TBSS" gets a DVD while many other (better, IMO) shows get the shaft.

#162599 - 09/06/2003 07:03 Re: D&M (possibly) neutering ReplayTV [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Of course, what they really need to release is the second season of Twin Peaks.
Preach it, brother! You'd surely think there'd be a crossover between Twin Peaks fans and the sorts of people who buy DVD box sets. Or maybe they're keeping it for Blue Ray.

Peter

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2