Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#163751 - 06/06/2003 15:48 Re: New WRX! WOOHOO! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
And Loren, that'd be my one advice to you - go to a Subby meet and see wheels in person
That's actually a great idea... i'm gonna do that before i drop the $$.

Thanks for the link Donato!

So... as i mentioned before, seriously, IS there a way to make a 35mm offset into a 48mm offset? Some sort of spacer?

#163752 - 06/06/2003 16:37 Re: New WRX! WOOHOO! [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
They do make spacers. They're called just that. But first you have to know if it's a positive or negative offset. I never can remember which way is which, but one's got the bolt plane (or whatever it's called) closer to the outside of the wheel and one's got it closer to the inside. If it's closer to the outside, and the wheel is of a lower offset, you can't get a spacer because you'd need to remove material, not add it. It's not clear which way you're going, though.

Also, I'm not sure that spacers are street legal.

#163753 - 06/06/2003 17:06 Re: New WRX! WOOHOO! [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
So if i need a +48 to +53 mm offset for the WRX, and the F1's are 35mm offset... i'm thorougly confused. ah well.

#163754 - 06/06/2003 18:12 Re: New WRX! WOOHOO! [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Okay. IIR my directions C:

Your car wants a +50mm wheel. This means that the bolt plane for the wheel needs to be 50mm to the outside of the center of the wheel. The wheel you want has the bolt plane 35mm to the outside from the center of the wheel. In order to get it to line up with what the WRX wants, you have to get the bolt plane to be another 15mm further to the outside, which means you'd have to grind material off of the wheel, which means it ain't gonna happen.

If you had a wheel that was at +60mm, then you could buy a 10mm spacer to get it back to +50mm and you'd be good.

Tirerack has some info about offset. Maybe their picture will help explain it better.

And don't forget about bolt patterns.

#163755 - 06/06/2003 19:34 Re: New WRX! WOOHOO! [Re: loren]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Loren, spacers are usually used to make a cheap wheel fit or a "bling bling"wheel fit. The F1's (I agree they are sexy as hell) are too good of a wheel to do this to. The spacer will make them unsafe for performance driving - which is what those wheels are all about.

I like the OZ Supperleggra (sp?) a lot too - see them in person.

Speaking of "seeing them in person" I got my wheels and they are growing on me. I'll post a pic tomorrow if the weather's good. My buddy has the silver ones, so I'll park both side by side and post a poll :P.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3