Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#163890 - 02/06/2003 19:39 Low left channel volume
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
Hi.This problem started happening a couple weeks ago.When the player starts up, the left channel is lower in volume than the right channel.It's not completely dead just lower in volume.After a little while(varies from 5 minutes to 20 minutes)the volume returns to normal and both channels are equal.I swapped the left and right leads from the back and the problem followed the left channel eliminating(I think) my amps and speakers as the problem.I didn't check the FAQ because I wasn't sure how to search for this problem.Anybody care to offer any feedback? Also, I have yet to contact support,but I suppose that will be my only solution.

#163891 - 03/06/2003 03:37 Re: Low left channel volume [Re: newguy1]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Do you notice this in the house / AC power, or is it only in the docking station / DC power? The reason I ask is that there are two sets of outputs - this might identify if it is in a specific set of outputs, or if it is in the player itself before the output stage. You may also want to try it out in another car (if you know someone nearby with a player) to eliminate the car installation completely.

#163892 - 03/06/2003 09:50 Re: Low left channel volume [Re: newguy1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I swapped the left and right leads from the back and the problem followed the left channel eliminating(I think) my amps and speakers as the problem.
When you say "Leads", do you mean the RCA cable connections or the speaker wires? And when you say "back" do you mean at the amplifier or at the player end of the connection?

I am assuming that you mean you swapped the RCA connections at the back of the player's sled, so I'll go along with that and say, yes, you've eliminated the amps and speakers. Next thing I would check is this problem. Check that and get back to us. Also check that it's not a simple case of the contact points on the docking connector needing to be cleaned.

#163893 - 03/06/2003 18:52 Re: Low left channel volume [Re: pgrzelak]
newguy1
enthusiast

I dont have the player hooked up in the house/AC power just in the car/DC.I am using the front set of outputs,maybe i'll switch to the rear sets as they are not being used,to see if the problem still exists. I'll need a couple of days to try this though so dont think i'm ignoring anybody or don't appreciate the help.

Edited by newguy1 (03/06/2003 19:08)

#163894 - 03/06/2003 19:02 Re: Low left channel volume [Re: tfabris]
newguy1
enthusiast

Yes Tony, you assumed correctly.I did read about that problem but didn't think it applied because I was still getting some output, not a completely dead channel.But i'll look into that also.What should I use to clean the contacts?

#163895 - 04/06/2003 10:35 Re: Low left channel volume [Re: newguy1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What should I use to clean the contacts?
Isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips. Take care not to leave any strands of cotton behind.

Note that I've never needed to clean my Mk2's contacts, only the Mk1 ever gave me trouble in that area.

#163896 - 09/06/2003 19:47 Re: Low left channel volume [Re: tfabris]
newguy1
enthusiast

Well shortly after reporting this problem and asking for suggestions, the problem has disappeared.I hadn't yet tried any of the tips so I can't explain what happened.I break one of the first Empeg rules and leave the unit in my car for long periods(weeks) without removing it.Maybe the contacts were dirty and when I recently pulled it out an put it back in that cleaned them up.In any event it's workimg now.Thanks for your input.