Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#163930 - 03/06/2003 02:51 Join me fellow goldfish
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
in asking that they give us a way to rename the bookmarks in 3.0 so us of the tiny memorys can rember what we bookmarked

#163931 - 03/06/2003 05:41 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: thinfourth2]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Agreed ! And, if possible some more bookmarks too. Three is too little for my needs. 6-7 would be a lot better.

#163932 - 03/06/2003 05:49 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: thinfourth2]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Bookmarks? I did see it in the documentation, but not sure what use it would have. Where would you use bookmarks?
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#163933 - 03/06/2003 06:12 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: frog51]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I use bookmarks all the time. The obvious use is, of course, audio books. But I also use them for certain mixes (such as my random album playlist). A lot of times I want to let someone hear a song or I get tired of the current mix so I set a bookmark and load a different playlist. Then I can always return to whatever album was being played before exactly where I left off. If I don’t set a bookmark I end up hearing the first tracks on albums more than the rest and I also don’t get an even distribution of albums.

Another "special" playlist that I like to keep my place in is when I listen to all cuts in order by a certain artist who has a lot of albums (read: Rush). I like hearing the tracks in order, but when I play something else and want to come back I don't want to start over from the very first song again.

I personally would really like the ability to name the bookmarks, as I tend to always use them for similar things: 1= Random Albums, 2= Single Artist, 3=LOTR (or possibly another audio book if I ever finish LOTR. 30 min. a day in the car does not make such a long book go quickly!)

#163934 - 03/06/2003 16:13 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: thinfourth2]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I asked for this a while back. I'd ideally like it to automatically time- and date- stamp the playlist too.

#163935 - 04/06/2003 06:18 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: JeffS]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Ahh - that makes sense. Now I understand. I hadn't really thought about using it for ordered playlists, I just listen to everything as a 3 down, or random by some criterion, interspersed with turning shuffle off, inserting an album and then reshuffling once the album is finished. And some of my Pink Floyd stuff is stored as single mp3 file per album so there are no cuts or gaps.

I am sorely tempted to get some audiobooks on mine, mostly for the kids, but also for those 9 hour drives down to Cornwall - just for something different.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#163936 - 04/06/2003 06:48 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: genixia]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I'd ideally like it to automatically time- and date- stamp the playlist too.
Oh yes, what he said! I hadn't thought of that, but it'd sure help when I forgot which slot I stored something in.

#163937 - 04/06/2003 06:58 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: frog51]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I am sorely tempted to get some audiobooks on mine
If you do then you'll really use bookmarks a lot, and it's SO much nicer than changing CDs. My wife and I have been traveling a lot in her non-empeg enabled car listening to the Harry Potter books (which I cannot recommend highly enough for listening to while driving- they are a perfect level of depth for not drawing your attention too far away from the road while still staying interesting) and it was so annoying to always change to the next CD. It's so nice listening to LOTR without having to break between CDs, I just only wish they hadn't put "this ends disk X of LOTR by J.R.R. Tolkien" at the end of every CD.

Also, since I brought it up, I'm finding that LOTR is not so great for listening while driving- I'm not sure if its' because the source material isn't as compatible with driving or merely the way it's being read, but I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as the three times I've read it on paper.

#163938 - 04/06/2003 11:27 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: JeffS]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
When I was recovering from having a NAIL stuck in my EYE, I listened to LotR on the Empeg. 50 hours is a long time, but I did it in a week, and it was enjoyable. I liked hearing the old english speech patterns the best.

#163939 - 04/06/2003 11:43 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
oliver
addict

ouch! a NAIL?!?!? In your Eye?!?!? Man, I'm sorry. Now my eye is hurting

#163940 - 04/06/2003 13:23 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Ouch, I hope you are recovering well. We had a guy receive a nail in his eye from a nailgun a few years back. He lost his sight.

I listened to the first book of LOTR last month while driving from NC to Summit Point, WV for a auto race/ car show in my Datsun. The empeg worked flawlessly. I did my bookmarking the oldfashioned way, pen and paper...
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#163941 - 04/06/2003 13:36 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: Micman2b]
cushman
veteran

Yeah, I'm fully recovered. The nail hit my retina, and I had surgery, but now I'm back to 25/20 vision, about where I was before the accident. I'm glad that I healed in time for me to finish my basement (with a big 'ol framing nail gun, I might add). The Empeg has been great for working down there, I've fabricated a custom dust cover for the Empeg (a cardboard box with a hole cut in it for the display). It's kept me sane while doing all the drywall finishing.

#163942 - 05/06/2003 08:25 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
tman
carpal tunnel

I hope you wore eye protection when you finished off the room! Very lucky that you've got your sight back though

- Trevor

#163943 - 05/06/2003 10:49 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: tman]
cushman
veteran

Heck ya, I'm super paranoid about safety glasses now.

#163944 - 05/06/2003 11:01 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Check out this guy, who underwent a bionic implant to restore his sight:
The first person ever to receive this bill was Patient Alpha. His given name is Jens — pronounced "Yens." Twenty-two years ago, at age 17, while nailing down railroad ties, an errant splinter took his left eye. Then, three years later, this time fixing a snowmobile, a shiv of clutch metal broke free and took out his right.

He lives in rural Canada, where the winters are brutal. He makes his living by selling firewood. Working alone, he splits logs with the largest chain saw currently available on the market. During the high season, he'll manhandle 12,000 pounds of wood in a day. He helped his wife deliver six of his eight children at home, without a physician or midwife. Jens dismisses the whole hospital birthing process as rapacious big business.

Starting from scratch and without the aid of sight, Jens designed and built a solar- and wind-powered house and pulled his family off the grid. In his spare hours, he programs computers, tunes pianos, and gives the occasional concert. For a blind man to give a classical recital requires memorizing whole scores — a process that can take nearly five years. To cover his surgery, Jens gave quite a few recitals.
That's a dude. You'd think that some sort of eye protection would occur to the man who only has one, but what do I know?

From http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.09/vision_pr.html

#163945 - 05/06/2003 11:20 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: wfaulk]
cushman
veteran

That's crazy, he's pretty hardcore. I know that I do everything even remotely dangerous now with glasses.

It's possible his attitude towards hospitals contributed to losing one or both of his eyes, though. My injury was pretty bad, the nail penetrated my cornea, hit the iris muscle, and hit the back of my eye where the retina covers. I went to the hospital right away and they were able to restore my vision, but if I had waited even a few hours (I was told) I would have lost my eye.

It sounds like maybe he lived too far away, or thought that it would be ok to wait a day before going to the doctor, but maybe not. It is kind of unusual to lose both eyes in separate accidents, kind of like getting struck by lightning twice.

#163946 - 05/06/2003 11:23 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

if I had waited even a few hours
When you've got a nail sticking out of your eye, who waits? (``Ehhh -- it'll heal.'')

BTW, was the nail still sticking out of your eye when you went to the emergency room? If so, did they get you right in, or did you have to fake a heart attack?

#163947 - 05/06/2003 11:41 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: wfaulk]
cushman
veteran

It didn't stick in. It went in, then came right back out again. I didn't know what hit me at first, and I thought something had hit me when my eye was closed on the eyelid.. like if someone whacked you in the eyelid with a ruler. No bleeding or anything, it would have been really easy for me to try to ignore it and let it heal on it's own. My sight was blurry, and it felt like there was an eyelash in my eye, but that's about the extent of it. It only started to look really bad after the surgery, want a picture?

#163948 - 05/06/2003 11:41 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

NO!

#163949 - 08/06/2003 15:06 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
it amazes me we go from goldfish memories to eyes with holes in them but anyway post a pic for us to go ouch at

#163950 - 06/07/2003 10:15 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Yes!

#163951 - 06/07/2003 12:13 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: canuckInOR]
cushman
veteran

Ok, WARNING, med school - type picture attached. Weak stomachs should not view. This is my eye after being penetrated by a nail and stitched back up again. You can see the stitches that make a fuzzy diagonal line from near the center of my pupil to the lower right hand side of the eye. This picture was taken about 2 months after the surgery. I just got my first pair of glasses after the accident, and I am now seeing 20/20 corrected, and 25/20 uncorrected.

Attachments
167489-gross_eye.jpg (163 downloads)

#163952 - 06/07/2003 17:40 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Hard to distinguish much, there. I don't see the diagonal line of stitches at all. About all I can really make out is a) holy cow, I thought my eye was bloodshot when I had pink eye, and b) the reverse-D shape on the left side of the picture. Is that the entry point? Pretty yucky, at any rate. Glad to hear you've recovered.

Dinner time... I'm hungry...

#163953 - 06/07/2003 18:38 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: canuckInOR]
cushman
veteran

No, the D shape is just a reflection, I've circled the place where the nail went in here.

After the surgery my eye was 100% red, there was no white showing at all. Right now it looks like I have pinkeye (when my son was born the nursery nurse freaked when I walked in the door) and they tell me it will be a year before it turns 100% white again.

Attachments
167534-gross_eye.jpg (161 downloads)

#163954 - 06/07/2003 20:23 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Holy **F**! You had a nail in your eye and it didn't hurt, but left your sight blury and felt like an eyelash? Damn! I can not even fathom the situation. I always thought an eyeball would just pop if it was peirced.

Glad to year you recovered. And thanks for posting this. Here I was whacking away at brick all weekend with a hammer and crowbar without ANY protective eyewear on. Never again after hearing this story. At least I use eyewear while weedwhacking. Flying bits of thissle are simply nasty.

And yes, I read about that Jens guy. Those optic implants seem amazing. I had no doubts that this kind of thing could be done: mapping on the brain the discrete points of light which compose visual reception and using a computer to convert digital video into said brain signals. Like they said in the article, the guy could probably just swap in infrared cameras, zoom lenses, or anything else in place of the "digital eyes" he has now. Simply amazing.

Now, who will write the plugin to have the empeg translate audio to the electrical signals our brains receive from the innerworking of our ears? Talk about "pure digital audio". The "direct to brain" concept bypasses the final analog component; our beautifuly designed ears. (friggin amazing things they are, really)

#163955 - 15/07/2003 22:14 Re: Join me fellow goldfish [Re: cushman]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Ah, cool. Thanks.

That's a bit beyond pink eye, I'd say. I took a pic of my pink eye back a while ago (see attached), and used it as the background on my computer at work. Kept people from "borrowing" my machine while I was away from my desk.

Attachments
169228-me2_small.jpg (167 downloads)