Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#165102 - 11/06/2003 00:52 Darn tuner doesn't work
hussein
stranger

I bought a Rio Car and Tuner back when Sonicblue was shutting down its Rio Car division back last February. It took my about a year to then save up the money for a new Audi TT in which to install the unit.

I just installed the Rio Car in a Audi TT coupe and the tuner. Cartoys in Bellevue did the installation. One of the things they found is that the tuner (which hadn't been opened to this point) didn't work. When it's plugged into the player, the light doesn't even turn on.

Is there any way to return or get a functional tuner, given that Sonicblue's assets have been scattered across the oceans? I'd rather not shell out another $150 for a new tuner.

BTW, does anyone else have an Audi TT coupe installation? The gain is a bit off in the car - I don't think there's a way to fix it. The nice thing is I didn't need a harness for the car. I also wanted to see if I could wire the factory CD player into the Rio Car?

#165103 - 11/06/2003 04:36 Re: Darn tuner doesn't work [Re: hussein]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I had this problem (With an Audi TT, but that's not relevant). You may well find this helpful.

I thought I saw a complete wiring diagram in the FAQ, but I can't find it now. I simply corrected it by swapping the wires over half way+dab of solder+insulating tape.

I can't understand how you did the installation without a harness, your CD changer question is answered here

In before Fabris can get out of bed! I'm off to the pub for a celebratory pint!

#165104 - 11/06/2003 23:15 Re: Darn tuner doesn't work [Re: boxer]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Given they are a crimp connector, you should be able to get each wire out using a small paperclip or pointed instrument to push the catch on the terminal. The wire should just then slide out.

Make sure the catch is sticking out far enough and put it into the correct position and it should just click in.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#165105 - 12/06/2003 03:27 Re: Darn tuner doesn't work [Re: Shonky]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
You are, of course, right - it's just that my ageing fingers and eyes couldn't quite manage that!

#165106 - 12/06/2003 11:34 Re: Darn tuner doesn't work [Re: Shonky]
hussein
stranger

So basically I just need to switch around one of the cables. If I take this post to CarToys will they know what to do to install this correctly? Is there any kind of test to see if the cables are right - just read the schematic right?

#165107 - 12/06/2003 11:53 Re: Darn tuner doesn't work [Re: hussein]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So basically I just need to switch around one of the cables.
Not necessarily. That might or might not be your problem. We can't know without someone opening up your dash and checking it.

It's possible that the tuner module is genuinely faulty. It's also possible that it's some other wiring problem, either something CarToys did wrong, or perhaps it's this problem. Someone with experience and a good eye needs to look at the installation closely and carefully to determine where the fault is.

#165108 - 12/06/2003 15:29 Re: Darn tuner doesn't work [Re: tfabris]
hussein
stranger

well Cartoys took out the tuner. So it's sitting in the back seat of my car now.

Anyone based up in the Seattle region who has a good eye and could take a look?