Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16584 - 03/09/2000 13:15 Additional infoscreen
jhr
new poster

Loc: Göteborg, Sweden
I'm at present in the process of encoding the complete works of JS Bach to MP3 for upload to the empeg. We're talking about approx 150 CD:s. Again and again I fell the need for some place to enter additional information for each piece. The ID3v1 tags (=the info screen on the empeg) are so limited. The "Title" tag of course has to contain the name of the movement. In the "Artist" tag I try to squeeze in the Composer name, name of the composition and opus number. In the "Album" tag goes the name of the orchestra and (if there is any space left) the name of the conductor. Now, there is often additional information that would be nice to enter and that a listener would sometimes ask for. For instance the name of the soloists, perhaps name of choir etc.

Using ID3v2 tags, there is a more or less standarized way of entering at least some additional information. There are for instance tags for Conductor, Orchestra, Composer etc. I would really be happy if there was a way to upload and view some of these additional tags on the empeg.

I imagine it couldn't be very difficult to accept additional tags when uploading to the empeg. Now, how to show this info? Couldn't this be implemented as an additional visual. This visual could then be selectable as the one shown when you toggle the CD-MD-CH button and it would then be easy enough to get the extra info when the music is playing.

Comment?

Mark 1 #317 - 20GB blue
Mark 2 #080000217 - 18 GB amber
Mk2 #080000217 - 20+30 GB amber
spare Mk2a 010101934 10 GB blue

#16585 - 03/09/2000 19:23 Re: Additional infoscreen [Re: jhr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm sure Doug Burnside is struggling with these very same limitations. Of course he knew these limitations going in (we had discussed it a couple of times before). Perhaps the two of you should compare notes on how you're working around it?

By the way: Although V1 tags are accepted by the Empeg, and its fields are the same fields, the Empeg isn't limited to 30 characters in each field the way that the V1 tags are. After uploading, you can edit the fields to make them longer.

You still won't necessarily see everything you enter on the Empeg screen (limited screen width and not everything can scroll), but you could enter the data in the hope that one day you get the ability to scroll the extra long fields.

#16586 - 03/09/2000 22:52 Re: Additional infoscreen [Re: tfabris]
jhr
new poster

Loc: Göteborg, Sweden
Well, using V2 tags, you are not limited to 30 characters of each field. Longer fields get uploaded without problems (well at present there is a bug when the tags are *very* long, but it is resolved to the next software release as I understand it). But as you say - because of the limited screen width, not that many characters are displayed.

At the moment I do take the trouble of completing some V2 tags that dont get uploaded today for future reference. Perhaps in the future additional possibilities to display such information on the screen will be available.

/jhr

Mark 1 #317 - 20GB blue
Mark 2 #080000217 - 18 GB amber
Mk2 #080000217 - 20+30 GB amber
spare Mk2a 010101934 10 GB blue

#16587 - 04/09/2000 01:17 Re: Additional infoscreen [Re: jhr]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
We have plans for a screen layout designer in emplode; when this happens depends on other projects which it was designed for, but this would probably allow you the flexibility you need.

Hugo

#16588 - 04/09/2000 10:53 Re: Additional infoscreen [Re: altman]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

We have plans for a screen layout designer in emplode; when this happens depends on other projects which it was designed for, but this would probably allow you the flexibility you need.

...Sounds like this would also help w/ the viewing-angle problem...
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!