Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#166312 - 18/06/2003 10:29 pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I'll use this thread for the million things i have to figure out before i get my empeg in my new wagon.

obligatory photo:

(already put a Kartboy short shifter in 'er!)

Question 1:
Could one of you WRX owners do me a favor? I'm thinking about keeping the stock stereo, and installing the empeg in the OEM gauge pod where the clock pod is now... but i'm not sure it would work. Could one of you with a gauge pod do a quick measurement and see if the fascia would fit? I've seen some slide out type LCD displays installed there and it looks like a tight fit. Just wanna be sure before i sink $$ into the pod.

many more ?'s to come!

#166313 - 18/06/2003 18:29 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I really hate that stock radio... are you sure you wanna do that? I really like Jim Hogan's approach of putting 2 head units in the stock position...

A buddy of mine is getting ready to install his empeg in his WRX.. .we are multiplying!

#166314 - 18/06/2003 20:19 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
loren
carpal tunnel

I actually like it for some reason. I'm not to fond of the way the empeg looks in that slot, it's oversized and looks tacked on or something. Unless i can find a way to get it to fit flush in there...

I might go with the two unit approach, but i don't want to deal with another head unit that someone might want to steal, so i'm not too fond of that idea either. Part of the reason i want to keep the stock is because it detracts from anyone wanting to break in and steal anything.

I'm still in the brainstorming phase though... i need to write down all the options and pro's and cons and figure it out soon. I miss my empeg. I'm sick of the same 6 CD's already! I've got a set of Diamond Audio S600s components sitting here begging to be cranked up too. . .

So no one has a gauge pod?

#166315 - 20/06/2003 08:31 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Hi loren.

I'll measure the gauge pod opening today.

(but i think that you should get rid of the stock radio instead)

p.s. speaking of speakers, you also are aware of the very shallow mounting depths of the doors right? so much fun...

Edited by ithoughti (20/06/2003 08:33)

#166316 - 20/06/2003 09:41 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: ithoughti]
loren
carpal tunnel

Sweet! Thanks Matt.

I just realized it might also be a good idea to take the fascia off and just place it in front of the gauges to see if it would fit if i could find someone local that has a pod.

Actually, the stocker might be ditched for a touchscreen LCD and a carputer =]... but that's just fancy dreaming if i can get it for as cheap as i'm trying to get it. The stock HU isn't that bad. I would like to retain the tape player and CD player... incase i hit a time warp to the 80's or something... you never know.

And yes, i've already got speaker spacers from a guy on the impreza.net messageboards. Sitting in a box waiting to be mounted with the Diamonds.

I'm torn on the rears though... lots of votes for ditching them completely and lots for just getting some 4" coaxials. Hm. What are you guys running?

#166317 - 20/06/2003 13:47 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

I'm a jackass and totally forgot to measure. If you can wait another day, I'll write a note to myself and remember to do it tomorrow.

I really want this for my NAV system in place of my gauge pod, but the likelyhood of that ever happening is slim

From This Thread on NASIOC.com

As far as speakers go, I've got These in the rear and These in the front.

I also built this sub box

Here is the thread that talks a bit more about my install.

#166318 - 20/06/2003 14:05 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
rbenech
journeyman

Loc: CA, USA
Way cool! Great to see you finally WRX'ing... being a good owner and getting thru those first 1,000 mi. w/out heavy boost is such a bitch!

I wanted to put the empeg in the gague pod too, but I have a better plan... I want to put a DIN sized fold out plazma screen (when they become available). There are fairly affordable single DIN fold out LCD screens, but I want one with a wide-screen screen ratio that would need to fold out of the din...

I really liked the stock stereo look & feel, but the empeg just kicks ass so bad that I havn't regretted the swap at all. Besides, I like the little extra cubby-hole under the empeg. I want to put a fan down there to cool my empeg as it regularly gets +55C (my warning temp).

As for the bezel sticking out, it does bug me a little... If you can figure a way to get it flush I would probably want do the same. But I think it would require some rework of the metal. But, it is handly having the cup holder right above the display - you can stick it out ~1 inch to use it as a sun visor to see the screen in direct sun.

I installed a custom 12" sub enclosure + amps under the back deck (took out the spare tire)... But I had to replace the back deck, so I am still doing the 'finishing' touches before I publish all the good stuff (pics + measurements/diagrams) online...

The issue I'm trying to solve now is that there is too much bass coming from the back. I know low freq. are non-directional, but I notice it. It sounds like the soundstage is behind me. I was planning on replacing all the speakers to being them in line with the sub, but maybe I can get away with 2-ways in the back to balance the hi-freq with the front? Wait, that doesn't make sense... Maybe just a bass tube under one of the front seats... or in the front kick panels...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your ride sometime on the streetz! (and @ the next empeg meet)

#166319 - 20/06/2003 14:28 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I just realized it might also be a good idea to take the fascia off and just place it in front of the gauges to see if it would fit if i could find someone local that has a pod.

Took me a while to reply as I was hunting for the attached, probably useless picture. That's a home-brew mount that I pop in on an as-needed basis and it is using just a simple Ratshack 8x5x3 inch project box (with a sheet of 3/8" foam on the bottom. It sits on the heater vent ducting which runs pretty straight back from those 2 dash vents. There is a surprising amount of odd space in there for various things, but I would be very surprised if you could mount the Empeg in the OE gauge pod. Those gauges aren't very deep.

Me, I really like that pic Matt posted.....hmmm a flip up VFD display?

I'm torn on the rears though... lots of votes for ditching them completely and lots for just getting some 4" coaxials. Hm. What are you guys running?

My speakers are just Crutchfield-variety Rockfords, I did put their 4.5 inchers in the back and I think I can tell, but I'm not sure! I need to disconnect them for a while and see.

If you were going to leave the stock head unit, were you just going to work around it? I wasn't sure if anybody had figured out the wiring to that OE Panasonic CD changer intertface. I sold mine to a friend with a Legacy and she thinks it is ultra high tech!

(edit: Oh and I really liked morrisdl's "reverse connector" trick and I might have tried it on the WRX -- might yet try it still to see if the Empeg would sit a bit more flush -- but it won't help avoid hacking that $85 bezel a little bit. )

Attachments
164916-MountBox.jpg (203 downloads)

Edited by jimhogan (20/06/2003 14:32)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#166320 - 21/06/2003 18:02 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: jimhogan]
loren
carpal tunnel

I'm a jackass and totally forgot to measure. If you can wait another day, I'll write a note to myself and remember to do it tomorrow.
no worries.
RE: From This Thread on NASIOC.com
I've been following that thread since way before i had my WRX. That is EXACTLY what i want. Man, i wish i had some machine tools because i would give making something like that a go. Too bad it runs $1000 and the lead time to order form Japan seems to be eternity, literally. Someone could make a killing if they manufactured those pods here in the US.
As far as speakers go, I've got These in the rear and These in the front.
Those Infinity 4"ers just fit right in the rear slot don't they? That might be a better option for me than the 4.5" Diamonds i was looking at... I just hate mixing speaker brands for some reason.
being a good owner and getting thru those first 1,000 mi. w/out heavy boost is such a bitch!
I KNOW! It was killing me. At around 950 i started pushing it and went all the way the second it hit 1000. =] The turbo is amazing... way different than when the good ol' VTEC would kick in on my Si.
As for the bezel sticking out, it does bug me a little... If you can figure a way to get it flush I would probably want do the same
Yeah, i'm about to run out the othe car and take the panel off so i can give it a once over. I'm gonna try and flush mount it if i end up putting it down there and not in the pod. Can't wait to see your new install pics.
It sits on the heater vent ducting which runs pretty straight back from those 2 dash vents. There is a surprising amount of odd space in there for various things, but I would be very surprised if you could mount the Empeg in the OE gauge pod. Those gauges aren't very deep.
What is that bracket for, your rally computer? Sweet. I'd love to see a shot of that all hooked up. As for the space... i've seen it done with a standard DIN lcd slide out screen type thing in many pics on NASIOC, so i figure it's gotta fit somehow. Thought the empeg's sled might be a hindrence.
If you were going to leave the stock head unit, were you just going to work around it?
If i keep it i'll either use one of those switchers that detects the source and switches to it, or hack the connector on the back. There's a ton of info on what all the pins do and i've even seen one guy who soldered to the board on the CD changer circuit to get the sound in, but i wanna avoid going through that deck. It's all just speculation at this point. I mainly want to keep that space open for a possible future touchscreen LCD there, but that's down the road.
Oh and I really liked morrisdl's "reverse connector" trick and I might have tried it on the WRX
That's exactly what i was gonna try if it ends up there.

So many options!

#166321 - 23/06/2003 21:37 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
What is that bracket for, your rally computer?

It started out as a temporary thing, but as ugly as it is, it is very functional. We may keep it. Just a length of Home Depot aluminum angle bolted to project box with lots of velcro on the angle to hold a clock/odo and ham radio like so

Sweet. I'd love to see a shot of that all hooked up.

So would I, brother, so would I!

When I get back from Amersfoort, I should have a new Timewise 798A waiting and I'm going to spend about 4-5 quality days in the garage. Pull out all of the seats and finish all wiring, new subwoofer, maybe some raammat. I now have the second glovebox that I am going to hack for a mount for the Timewise. I *will* take pictures when I am done!

As for the space... i've seen it done with a standard DIN lcd slide out screen type thing in many pics on NASIOC, so i figure it's gotta fit somehow. Thought the empeg's sled might be a hindrence.

Yeah, I was probably being too pessimistic, and that pod is probably taller than I realize.

If you did mount the Empeg down below, would you be content with it as your only head unit?? The reason mine projects out a bit is because the 2-HU install pushes it so high up. If you could mount yours 1/2" lower, it could sit much more flush, esp with the morrisdl treatment....

....and you could put some gauges or something else below....

Attachments
165402-DashBox2.JPG (161 downloads)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#166322 - 24/06/2003 21:24 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Attachments
165654-gauges.jpg (179 downloads)

Edited by ithoughti (24/06/2003 21:25)

#166323 - 24/06/2003 22:39 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: ithoughti]
loren
carpal tunnel

THANKS!!!

ARGH. It looks like it would be an easy fit width wise, but height wise, some dremelling would be needed on that top lip... hm. Dremelling would be required on all sides i guess... and a way to mount the sled. This is what i measure on my empeg:

Empeg Fascia:
7 1/4" x 2 3/16"

Sled:
7 3/16" x 2 1/16"

I found some photos here with the pod taken out, and it looks like there would be room. I'll have to pop mine out and measure.

Man... i'm so torn...

#166324 - 10/10/2003 23:13 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
loren
carpal tunnel

Welp, tomorrow the install process begins. I'm going to get some dynamatting started up at the install shop. I doubt i'll have anything installed by the meet on Monday, but you never know, i might get the itch and just do it. The sub box will probably have to wait though.

So, my final components are as follows:

Fronts: Diamond Audio Hex 600s 6.5" components
Rears: stockers running off of the Rear Audio Fill channel of the Diamond Crossovers
Sub: a/d/s/ r10s 10" dual 4-ohm subwoofer
Amps: JL Audio 300/2for the fronts and a JL Audio 500/1for the sub with a remote bass control

The Sub is going into a fiberglass enclosure that will fit inside the tire well, and be completely stealth. Not sure where the amps are going yet, but i'm hoping to fit them in the rear similar to how Jim Hogan did it.

Oh, and of course... one of Rob R's black sleds in the standard DIN location.

#166325 - 12/10/2003 00:47 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Cool, glad to hear you're getting started on this. I still want to see your bluetooth car kit in action, but it doesn't sound like it'll be working by monday.

Matthew

#166326 - 16/10/2003 05:28 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: loren]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Have you recovered yet?

#166327 - 16/10/2003 09:15 Re: pending '04 WRX Wagon install ?'s [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
loren
carpal tunnel

=]

The dynamatting is done, the front components are in... but it turns out one of the woofers was blown or has some sort of defect... you can hear the voice coil rattling. So that's going back under warranty. This weekend we plan on getting the empeg, amps, and blutooth modules in, and if we have time framing out the sub box. I've got pictures... i'll post them when it's all done or when i have time to get them off my camera!