Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#167366 - 24/06/2003 06:52 Problem whith PCATS tuner?
beamer
stranger

Hi all... I've got a tuner kit and assembled it, but i dones'nt seem to work properly. The LED lights up, and the EMPEG detects the module, but that's it, when i try to search for stations nothing comes up, and i can't hear any sound (even noise) from the module.. what could be wrong? - i've tried to mount the antenna connector again as i thought that might be the problem, but it does'nt seem like that was the issue.... any ideas?

#167367 - 24/06/2003 10:56 Re: Problem whith PCATS tuner? [Re: beamer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Some possible problems to look for:

- Incorrect pinouts on the cable that connects it to the player.

- Loose wires on the player's docking sled.

- Problems with the antenna connector (either inside the box or on the connector). Try opening the box and soldering some antenna wire directly to it to see if that gets a signal.

- Chips plugged in or soldered in upside-down during the assembly process.

- Other assembly errors such as gaps bridged with solder.

#167368 - 24/06/2003 12:36 Re: Problem whith PCATS tuner? [Re: tfabris]
beamer
stranger

Okay, i'll look for that again and try the antenna trick, but i don't think there's a problem with the assembly, as i'm a light-technician and solder for a living (well sort of) ... but i'll run it all over again tomorror, and hope it's a fault 40 ...

#167369 - 28/06/2003 12:55 Re: Problem with PCATS tuner? [Re: beamer]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
To be honest, it could be just about ANYTHING. The fact that it half-works implies a problem with a detection stage, and my immediate reaction is a diode the wrong way round (typical construction problem). I've built three of these units and they have worked fine each time, first time.

The only way to diagnose a problem is to dismantle the unit again. Starting with the first line of the instruction sheet, go through the instruction sequence from the very start and observe each component to check for an orientation problem. I am willing to bet it's a component the wrong way round.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#167370 - 30/06/2003 08:56 Re: Problem whith PCATS tuner? [Re: tfabris]
beamer
stranger

Well now i've checked, double checked and then checked again for construction faults (things turning the wrong way around, solder shorts and so on) ... i've tried the antenna trick, no luck... i've checked that the pinheader connecting the two boards also works..

i've checked the powersupply on the board, no problem.

i've tried connecting the CPU board alone, and in fact it reacts just as when i've the two boards connected, is this normal?

now i'm kinda run out of ideas, ... it's a bit sad... i was planning on finally mounting my empeg when i got this tuner, but now i have no headunit at all in my car which is very annoying. HELP

#167371 - 30/06/2003 09:31 Re: Problem whith PCATS tuner? [Re: beamer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I wonder if there's a chance that it's a bad program on the PIC?

#167372 - 30/06/2003 10:45 Re: Problem whith PCATS tuner? [Re: tfabris]
beamer
stranger

... might be... but then again, don't think thats very likely