Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#16796 - 08/09/2000 11:37 Re: Ripped wave vs. consumer audio player? [Re: tfabris]
mcgrant
journeyman

Loc: Menlo Park, CA USA
Hmm. What about the DSP? Doesn't that fall after the DACs in the signal chain?

All of the processing the DSP performs (tone, equalization, loudness, etc.) comes immediately before the DAC. In the case of the Empeg (if I remember correctly) the DACs in the Empeg are actually contained within the DSP chip itself. Nevertheless, they are the final step in the process before the analog processing. In many other cases, the DACs are completely separate components.

As I understand it, some consumer devices use a similar (perhaps even the same) DSP to shape the sound.

You bet. There are quite a few DSPs out there to choose from, and quite a few processing steps they could perform. In particular, many portable players provide equalization, bass boost, loudness, spatialization, etc. I even used to have one that did dynamic range compression like rjlov's volume adjusting kernel.

Home players tend not to do extra signal processing, however, leaving that task up to the preamplifier/receiver. So all of their digital signal processing tends to be limited to interpolation and noise shaping (for oversampled systems only), and maybe DAC preemphasis.

Perhaps that's germane to this discussion? Maybe products which don't use DSPs have some sort of analog circuitry in the output stage which makes the music sound less strident?

Sure, that could very well be the case. All digital music devices have some analog circuitry in the output stage that will affect the sound quality.

But it's important not to try to pin the blame on any one stage in the signal processing chain. The conversion from digital data to output voltage is a long process with many steps, each of which can contribute in different ways to distort or color the sound. When comparing two CD players, you're comparing systems, not just DACs or DSPs alone.

Michael Grant
12GB Green

#16797 - 09/09/2000 08:16 Re: Ripped wave vs. consumer audio player? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
The DACs are actually in the C-DSP. It is a large multi-function chip with ADCs on the input, a DSP core pre-programmed to carry out certain functions (such as implement the Equaliser in software) and 4 DACs on the output side. Everything in one.

So yeah, it does enter the discussion.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#16798 - 10/09/2000 11:13 Re: Ripped wave vs. consumer audio player? [Re: tfabris]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England

Hmmm. OK, so I completely misunderstood what you were saying. [FX slaps himself about the head several times]. Of course DACS do wave shaping - in building the wave (however they decide to do it), they shape it.

I had misread your post and assumed that you were talking about the DAC acting as a DSP too (i.e. changing the wave form rather than shaping it).

Sorry again. Busy busy busy and I should be spending my spare time sleeping, not sitting infront of my home computer - I'm doing too much of that at work at the moment .

Nick.

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2