Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#168259 - 29/06/2003 16:38 HD Compatability
ppslim
journeyman

Loc: N Wales, UK
I havn't been here in many many moons, having had no real reason.

My MK1 has been wasting away on a shelf, serving no purpose at all.

One of the reasons, was my inability to update the player, and got a little bored (Laptop serial port was fubar).

I am now running again, at full tilt.

One of the things realised pretty damned quick, the diddy 6GB HD in the machine, just doesn't cut the mustard for my collection anymore.

Having read the FAQ/Guide on how to upgrade, I am a little concerned on which drive I will purchase to do the job.

At this time, I am looking at the Toshiba GAS 40GB UDMA100 http://www.dabs.com/17VKWS or the IBC Travelstar 40GNX 40GB UDMA100 http://www.dabs.com/1Z5CWS

Just wondering if any1 knew of issues with these?

I used to follow the Empeg stuff as much as possible, but lost the oportinity when connecting became dificult.

After reading news of SonicBlue going pop, I thought, the end of Empeg. Well, support went, but I was shoked with the new firmware/player release.

As such, one of my questions is. Is the player still in development, or was that just purging the last of the official Empeg work?

Glad to know this place is still going and that I have finaly found a place, where I fell like a noob.
Proud owner of #161

#168260 - 29/06/2003 16:54 Re: HD Compatability [Re: ppslim]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Last things first.

Rio was sold to another company who is continuing to fund production of mp3 players. The empeg shares a codebase with them and one of the developers has said that we'll be getting used as unofficial software testers for new features throughout the line.

In fact, the 2.0 final software was released before Rio went under, IIRC. (Although it does have a few bugs left in it.)

Otherwise, any 40GB drive should do fine as long as it is within the height limitation for MkI empegs, which is 14mm. You might want to put some washers between the drive tray and the drive itself so that the drive's spindle doesn't rest directly on the tray; this has been the cause of some problems in the past, especially with some IBM drives, as I believe it states in the Drive Upgrade Guide.

That being said, I'll leave you to investigate the dimensions of those drives.

#168261 - 30/06/2003 06:50 Re: HD Compatability [Re: wfaulk]
ppslim
journeyman

Loc: N Wales, UK
Many thanks for the reply.

I knew that Empeg became Rio, which was around the time my Empeg hit the shelf to gather dust.

I look at my Empeg these days, and think "What an ugly lump", though I do need to do some clean-up work on it (bloody dust).

I am just wondering if any1 ever made some form of faceplace replacment for the MK1?

In adition, can I still get Sleds for the MK1?
I still have 1 of the 2 I was supplied with, but the cable on the ariel insert is broken, so rather than repair it with my super-clumbsy hands, I will opt for a new sled (not that I need it yet).

Many thanks anyhow.
Proud owner of #161

#168262 - 30/06/2003 07:07 Re: HD Compatability [Re: ppslim]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
MkI sleds were a collector's item, but apparently that's no longer the case.

Read this post