Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#170136 - 15/07/2003 01:25 Re: Plasma in bedroom, but challenges. [Re: ashmoore]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Check out http://www.freeview.co.uk/ for how it could be..... broadcast digital TV

What has that got to do with HDTV ? Freeview isn't HD at all.

#170137 - 15/07/2003 04:54 Re: Plasma in bedroom, but challenges. [Re: jbauer]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
In some circles it may not have the GEE WOW factor of a plasma display, but you can build a really nice Multimedia PC with all the features of a TIVO, empeg , etc with 5.1 sound and a pc for under $1000. The remote I'm thinking of is RF, so you don't need ot worry about line of sight. For another 1k or so you can buy a very nice 1280x1024 (higher than HD TV) resolution projector which you can mount opposite where you want the screen to be. If you throw in a Gyration wireless keyboard and mouse combo (good to 25 feet, designed for presentations, so they'll work while you're in bed) you have an excellent multimedia system.

If you really want to pipe your TIVO stuff into the bedroom you could hack your tivo box or just put another media pc in the other room with ethernet running between the 2, or you could just put a wireless card in your tivo and in the media PC in the bedroom. Check: http://www.9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm for more info on the TiVo network stuff.

#170138 - 15/07/2003 06:49 Re: Plasma in bedroom, but challenges. [Re: elvis]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
For another 1k or so you can buy a very nice 1280x1024 (higher than HD TV) resolution projector
The resolution of which is irrelevant if it can't understand a higher resolution format, of which HDTV is the only one (three? four?) available.

#170139 - 15/07/2003 07:24 Re: Plasma in bedroom, but challenges. [Re: wfaulk]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
It may just be in my head, but DVDs on my home system running 1600x1200 sure look better than the HDTV stuff down at Fry's E.

In any case, the resolution of which is far from irrelevant when the additional capabilities of the media PC are considered.

#170140 - 15/07/2003 07:27 Re: Plasma in bedroom, but challenges. [Re: elvis]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I didn't get the impression that he intended to use it for anything more than a TV, but, your're right that it'll do better if you've got a computer hooked up to it.

#170141 - 15/07/2003 11:15 Re: Plasma in bedroom, but challenges. [Re: andy]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
I know its not HD but the UK and a great deal of Europe have already gone the cheap digital broadcast TV route and are doing serious HD work.
Whereas in the US the sluglike FCC, with all of its inherent vested interests, is the very best example of why government should stay out of attempting to legislate progress.

I always fall for things like this and have to ask the question anyway. Why does it say (Love Terry Jacks)??

#170142 - 15/07/2003 14:41 Re: Plasma in bedroom, but challenges. [Re: ashmoore]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I know its not HD but the UK and a great deal of Europe have already gone the cheap digital broadcast TV route and are doing serious HD work.
Whereas in the US the sluglike FCC, with all of its inherent vested interests, is the very best example of why government should stay out of attempting to legislate progress.

As I understand it the reason we ended with the fairly crappy digital terestial tv that we have is due to goverment meddling. I'm fairly sure that OnDigital were forced to use the platform that they used because the government told them they had to. Too late at night to go digging for the details though.

I always fall for things like this and have to ask the question anyway. Why does it say (Love Terry Jacks)??

My "punishment" from Tony for quoting the entire lyrics to Seasons in the Sun in a thread that strayed onto dangerous ground ;-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2