Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1691 - 07/03/2000 06:33 developer site addition?
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
i dont have an empeg yet, but when i do, i would like to put some kind of startup sound / image on it. maybe pull some sound clips of knight rider off the web for the sound. i know that the procedures for this were discussed earlier, but could instructions for these things be added to the developer site? just wondering.

jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#1692 - 07/03/2000 07:21 Re: developer site addition? [Re: jstrain]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
maybe pull some sound clips of knight rider

Don't let Tony hear you say that! :-)

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#1693 - 07/03/2000 07:44 Re: developer site addition? [Re: Dearing]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
does tony have some sort of problem with david hasselhof? :)

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#1694 - 07/03/2000 08:38 Re: developer site addition? [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
David Hasselhoff is the antichrist, that's all.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1695 - 07/03/2000 08:46 Re: developer site addition? [Re: jstrain]
Verement
journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA, US
Although there's nothing currently on the developer site which explains explicitly how to do this, there is enough information there to work it out yourself.

The description on intercepting the IR device describes how to run something before the player, and the pages on the display and audio give sample code for putting something onto the display and playing sound, respectively.

Kim Salo has also posted some code to convert raw images into the proper display format for the empeg. (Kim, may I add your code to the developer site?)

Perhaps someone would be willing to combine all of these pieces and submit them to the developer site as a single solution.

-v

#1696 - 07/03/2000 10:53 Re: developer site addition? [Re: Verement]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'll have something better out by that time, but for right now I use a modified init. This relies on the sound program on the developer site and Kim's graphic program. But I have some ideas and want to add a rotating option to it, so that it can use different graphics or sounds. For now, here is what mine does:

#!/sbin/sh
echo "*** Empeg Startup Script v0.20 ***"
echo "*** Displaying Graphic ***"
/sbin/dispgraphic < /usr/startup/display
echo "*** Playing startup sound ***"
/sbin/pcmplay < /usr/startup/sound
echo "*** Starting Player ***"
exec /sbin/init.org

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/

#1697 - 07/03/2000 14:41 Re: developer site addition? [Re: Verement]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Kim Salo has also posted some code to convert raw images into the proper display format for the empeg. (Kim, may I add your code to the developer site?)

Sure. Though, it's not really elegant for anything else than just showing one image from stdin.

I've been working with quite some other stuff also, like pixel morphers and other neat stuff. Oh boy, I love to do those things that I used to do 5-6 years ago on PC, it's sort of nice to have limitations of screen size, amount of colors and CPU speed - that's the thing that puts you on the edge of discovering how you could get the most speed out of it and to get more colors than the unit actually has, and other nasty tricks.

At a bit later point, I might get inspired enough to send also some binaries for other people to check out. It would be nice to have a place to gather 3rd party binaries of cool stuff that people have done. Just like some people used to download demos some years ago to see what tricks other people have discovered.

Kim

#1698 - 07/03/2000 18:28 Re: developer site addition? [Re: kim]
Verement
journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA, US
Thanks; the code has been added.

I wouldn't mind making a section on the developer site for people to post binaries, but I would encourage people to submit source instead. Source is a lot more instructive, and may inspire someone else to create something just as cool, if not cooler.

Happy empegging,
-v

#1699 - 07/03/2000 19:49 Re: developer site addition? [Re: Verement]
drakino
carpal tunnel

It would be nice to see an easier way of adding info to that page. If you want, I can help with the php3 side with recieving files, having a checker in place, and then having them moved to public view. A small example of my php3 uses is at http://www.veeshansenigma.com/members.php3. This link uses a simple text database that pulls the information and the screenshots. The screenshots are pulled based on the text database name, and pictures can be uploaded by members, then once I hit an approve button on a page, are moved to be pubicially accessable. Something similar to this would be nice for source code and binary exchange. I do like Kim's demo idea, as long as all the technology behind it is released. I'm hoping to get both some basic startup picture and sound info up, along with info on running the d.net client safely on the unit all the time. And having a central place to put this for others would be handy, as my site listed in the signature is hosted off a slow machine. (It uses a wireless cable modem with a 33.6k upstream via phone lines, so if I'm playing a game, it can easially render the site useless to get to.)

#1700 - 07/03/2000 20:26 Re: developer site addition? [Re: tfabris]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Tony, your just jealous that you arent on baywatch.

Term

#1701 - 08/03/2000 05:28 Re: developer site addition? [Re: Verement]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I wouldn't mind making a section on the developer site for people to post binaries, but I would encourage people to submit source instead. Source is a lot more instructive, and may inspire someone else to create something just as cool, if not cooler.

True - in case the source is small, instructive and shows how some particular thing can be achieved (eg. how to use display, play sound, interpret keys or such). But I'm currently having already more than 50k of source files which some of them form a library and so on. Well, that includes the base system for actually developing the stuff on Win32 platform (also dependent on MFC) and then just getting the same to compile under empeg with mainly custom i/o routines. Distributing something like that is far more easier to handle with binaries than a bunch of source code. Though, I have nothing against giving code snippets and sharing tips, tricks & knowledge.

Happy empegging,

Thanks - it's always with me

Kim

#1702 - 09/03/2000 21:58 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: kim]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Does anyone konw where i can find info on how to make a WEB TV Keyboard work with my empeg? Maybe i can mount it in the car, and use that to select the names of the songs that i want. I would like to see how i can make the function keys do a macro or something. I have a friend that can program in C, VB, ASP, and other lauangues, and he said he would be willing to help me out.

Any gueestions on where to get specific info on doing this?

Thanks. ... i'm going to check the developer's site again, but last i checked, there was no info on this there.

-CHiP

#1703 - 10/03/2000 02:08 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: CHiP]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Very nice idea, but probably something that should wait till the player hits 1.0 and an API starts to show it's self. The only feasiable way to do this now would be to use the IR intercept code on the developer site, code the header file with the keyboards IR codes, and use the intercept program it's self to change L to 5-5-5 and X to 9-9. Then you also have to deal with the time delay when trying to type something like ABBA. (2, pause, 2-2, pause, 2-2, pause, 2). With that, you get into buffering or being patient typing.

It will definitly be easier once more info about the player is released, and things like command line or serial control gets implemented better then it is now.

#1704 - 10/03/2000 03:48 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Why? You can search for any track or band name currently with the remote, and there's no need to pause - eg for abba press direct ok 4 times (to get to the artist search screen) then press "2222" - each "2" matches a, b or c and it narrows down interactively *very* fast.

Hugo

#1705 - 10/03/2000 09:08 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: altman]
CHiP
enthusiast

i think i would like the keyboard becuase i don't have to take my eyes off the road as much when picking a song.. i mean, i do'nt have the keypad memorized yet, but i have the standard computer keyboard down cold. I mean, i can type "steve" with one hand without looking, and by feeling for the bump in the "f" key.

I just think it would be easier to pick tunes while driving.... no?

Also, i can remember someone talking about this idea from the very beginning ( befoe i had my empeg), and it has sparked in interest that's been in the back of my mind ever since. :)

-CHiP

#1706 - 10/03/2000 09:32 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: CHiP]
altman
carpal tunnel

I think it's easier learning the abc, def bits. I can do it pretty fast now :)

We've not tried a webtv keyboard, but in theory it'd work just fine: it will require quite a lot of playing with the empeg_ir driver though and a lot of testing!

Hugo

#1707 - 10/03/2000 11:19 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: altman]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
It is my passionate hope that the Mark II's voice recognition software will make the use of any keyboards/remotes/buttons etc. for the most part unnecessary.

Am I being foolishly naive and optimistic here?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#1708 - 10/03/2000 11:27 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: tanstaafl.]
altman
carpal tunnel

Well, you can't spell things out using the voice control, no. You can tag playlists with your voice and bring these up automatically, and do basic player control (track back/forward, play/pause, tuner/mp3, etc).

Hugo

#1709 - 10/03/2000 11:56 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: altman]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I guess my ultimate dream is to be able to say something like..

"Empeg. Mozart. Shuffle."

and have the empeg find all the Mozart pieces I have and play them in random sequence, regardless of what playlist(s) they might be in.

Is my dream out of the question?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#1710 - 10/03/2000 12:28 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: altman]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Can you tell who dosen't use that feature much? :-)

I was more thinking of the way my cell phone works instead of the T9 type input the empeg uses. Then again, this morning was the first time I had my empeg working in the car. It was rather nice driving and hearing music instead of music and crappy commercials.

#1711 - 12/03/2000 21:10 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I hereby decree that we may no longer use the "Abba/2222" example. From this day henceforth, the example given for searching with the remote digits will be "Rush", i.e., "7874".

"Order, eh? Who does he think he is?"
"I am your king."
"Well I didn't vote for you."

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1712 - 13/03/2000 04:38 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: tanstaafl.]
altman
carpal tunnel

If you make a playlist with all your mozart in it, voice tag it, then say:

empeg. shuffle on. select mozart.

...you'd be a bit closer, though things are still fluid with the voice recognition net.

Hugo

#1713 - 31/03/2003 00:16 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: altman]
CHiP
enthusiast

How could i use a web tv or wireless keyboard to key in the names of the songs that i want to hear. Is there a way to just map each IR signal to a key? So that i can map each key on the keyboard to a function or letter, etc?

#1714 - 31/03/2003 05:58 web tv keyboard Re: developer site addition? [Re: CHiP]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Yikes! Where'd you dig this one up at!?

There is a VNC client floating around that supports Hot Key for all of the front panel buttons and a few remote functions too.. Maybe this would help?