Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#171756 - 22/07/2003 11:23 The dangers of the breathalyzer
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Courtesy Blue's News comes this "do not drink liquid while reading" link:

http://tuckermax.com/Stories/sushi_pants.htm

#171757 - 22/07/2003 11:45 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Interesting. I didn't find that amusing in the least, except to note that every one around him was a loser, yet his entire meaning of existence was to get as drunk as possible.

Don't get me wrong. I've been to South Florida. Many of the people there are poseur losers. Especially the ones out at the clubs. But he was one of them.

#171758 - 22/07/2003 11:53 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I didn't find that amusing in the least
What I found amusing was his way of describing the events. I agree that his problem was his attitude and not the device, and that's part of the joke. But the retelling is what's funny.

Example. You could say that "a cop showed up and shined his flashlight in my eyes, and I cursed at him."

But "A bright light hits my eyes. I am not happy. I tell the owner to “get that fucking light out of my face.” The owner of the light identifies himself as an officer of the law." is much funnier.

#171759 - 22/07/2003 12:05 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I understand. As has been said, ``Some people say funny things, and other people say things funny.''

I didn't find it either, personally. Enough so that I had to verify who you claimed needed to avoid drinking.

#171760 - 22/07/2003 12:15 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: wfaulk]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I was laughing.

#171761 - 22/07/2003 12:16 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
What the story does for me is reconfirm one of the two reasons I don't drink (other than the taste). I don't want to be around people who get that drunk, and there's always a couple of them at every party I throw, leaving me with the dilemma of not wanting them to drive versus wanting them to get the hell out of my house.

Furthermore, the fact that he drove with a .09 level is not funny to me in the least, and I'm quite sure he intended it to be.

#171762 - 22/07/2003 12:20 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: wfaulk]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Not funny...it was pretty hilarious! I think I know that guy!

#171763 - 22/07/2003 12:21 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: wfaulk]
m6400

Loc: Erie, PA
In reply to:

"I've been to South Florida. Many of the people there are poseur losers. Especially the ones out at the clubs."

Allow me to confirm for you that this infects the northern part of florida as well. Only it is worse. Here they are posing as the south florida poseur loosers. I can think of a large number of people that, uppon reading this story, would go out and buy a breathalizer in order to recreate these events. They would then procede to brag about them for the rest of their lives.

Fortunatly I am not from florida at all, I was born and raised (for the most part) in Virginia. Which has even more old people. Living here, its like being at a zoo every day of my life.

Wow I'm feeling cynical today.

#171764 - 22/07/2003 13:05 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: Dignan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Furthermore, the fact that he drove with a .09 level is not funny to me in the least, and I'm quite sure he intended it to be.

Until like 2 years ago, that was legal in PA.

#171765 - 22/07/2003 13:10 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: Jerz]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Not funny...it was pretty hilarious! I think I know that guy!
I sure hope not, because just glancing through that site makes me incredibly angry. I can't stand people like him. Just read his "Miss Vermont Story." It makes me physically ill that there are assholes of this magnitude out there. I can't feel more sorry for that girl. Just because she wasn't too bright (not least of all for getting together with this guy), she really got crapped on.

But hey, what can I expect from someone who is actually named "Tucker Max." No wonder he turned out this way.

*sigh*
Sorry. Had to vent. I have a thing about egotistical jerks (it's half an issue with my own personality anyway).

#171766 - 22/07/2003 13:37 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: tfabris]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Hmm... I believe you should leave 20 mins before using a breathlyser so the readings are hardly accurate. Also, would he *remember* the readings after doing all that!

Interesting looking at the BAC for various countries here:

http://www.breathalyzer.co.uk/limits.htm

Presumably where it says US: 0.8/1 that is somewhat incorrect?

The UK's is 0.8 (BAC 0.16%) - this is still much lower than people realise. I hear a lot of people say it's "two pints" not realising the "two pint" rule-of-thumb (very bad and inaccurate in itself, of course) is based on weak ale (3%), not Stella which is likely to put you over the limit.

Personally I just have one shandy and know I'd be at more risk if I used mouthwash in the morning!

Gareth

#171767 - 22/07/2003 20:14 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I was reminded recently that it takes three people to tell a good joke.

One to tell the joke,
One who gets it,
and one who dosen't.

This thread seems to prove the point.

#171768 - 22/07/2003 20:42 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: Dignan]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Just read his "Miss Vermont Story." It makes me physically ill that there are assholes of this magnitude out there. I can't feel more sorry for that girl.

Can't say I agree with you, I have absolutely no sympathy for her.

Considering she's pretty much admitted it's true, and she founded a pro absinence group and "the sobriety society". Obviously, she practices neither. So he called bullshit on her, and she sued. [censored] or not, I think he's right. Then again, I just like watching people get caught publically in their own hypocrisy.

She's a public figure she should have known better.

And the note on the gun range target thing is just scary.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#171769 - 22/07/2003 21:18 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: Heather]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I felt sorry for her because she's the type that gets taken advantage of, and she happened to meet a big advantage taker. I didn't mean to make it sound like I agreed with her case (though if I were her, and my ex was posting intimate details of our sex lives on the internet, I would probably do the same thing).

Fact remains, I can't stand the type of person he is. His whole narration of the events of his relationship just stunned me. At one point he tries to make sure the reader doesn't feel too sorry for her by saying he suspects she cheated on him on the night of that wedding, but he just got done telling us how he would have cheated on her if she hadn't gotten back to the party. That doesn't matter, though, because she's too innocent, slightly dumb, and loves Harry Potter. God forbid.

Sorry for not being clear. I was ranting about the guy, not the lawsuit. I was empathising with the plight of a girl who just isn't too bright. The part that bothers me is that the guy treated her badly strictly because she wasn't too bright.

I'll stop ranting now, because it's getting me worked up

But yeah, the target thing was creepy. I think she's kinda messed up Have you seen her cartoons? They're kinda sad.

#171770 - 22/07/2003 21:34 Re: The dangers of the breathalyzer [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
"Tucker Max."

Ah, I'm glad you mentioned that. I hadn't read the article yet. Now I don't have to -- I've read some of his other stuff, and he's boring as [censored]. Thanks -- I owe you 10 minutes of my life.