Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#172143 - 25/07/2003 08:23 Water Spilt on Amp. Can it be fixed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just installed my empeg yesterday and this morning someone's water bottle spilt on my front seat. Now the amp isn't working right. It'll play the music very quietly with some pops every few seconds.

It was hooked up mono with 1 speaker wire in the left channel positive and 1 wire in the right negative. I tried switching the wires on different channels, and the only thing that works is putting the negative wire in the right negative with the positive wire on nothing. If I touch the positive wire to a post it will stop working. Just about any post I try putting the positive wire on I get a spark. Maybe it will work after letting it sit overnight or is this amp now just a piece of junk?

#172144 - 25/07/2003 08:44 Re: Water Spilt on Amp. Can it be fixed? [Re: ]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quite likely to be busted. Had you turned it off before the water hit it, you could probably just have let it dry out (evaporate) and the amp would then probably have worked. But now it sounds like something is shorted/burnt/broken...

I presume with stop working you mean pop fuse / go into protection mode or something - if you get sound with only one speaker wire hooked up you probably have one of the leads of the speaker wire shorted to ground somewhere... Could also be internal short on those 3 non-functional outputs that has killed them and makes the amp dislike getting power from the good terminal into those...

/Michael

#172145 - 26/07/2003 23:58 Re: Water Spilt on Amp. Can it be fixed? [Re: mtempsch]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your input. It turns out that while it was wet down by the amp, no water had gotten inside of it. Instead of having real car speakers in the trunk, I've got one old bigass house speaker box. It was the only speaker hooked up to the amp. On the back of it there are two screws which you connect the speaker wires to. This speaker box is so big, it barely fit in the trunk by millimeters. I had to take out the trunk mat for it to fit. And coincidently, about the same time the water spilt, I had moved the speaker box a little so it wouldn't sound as shitty. I finally figured out that those two metal screws were both pressed against the bare metal of the trunk bottom, shorting it out. And that's why I was seeing sparks on the amp. Case closed.

#172146 - 27/07/2003 03:54 Re: Water Spilt on Amp. Can it be fixed? [Re: ]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
hmm, nothing like a classy custom install, eh? At least at 8ohms, the amp wont be working too hard.

#172147 - 27/07/2003 07:32 Re: Water Spilt on Amp. Can it be fixed? [Re: muzza]
Anonymous
Unregistered

hehe, I wanted to put two in, but I could only fit one.