Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#172256 - 25/07/2003 15:53 WLAN to EMPEG
estocks
new poster

Loc: Reading UK
Well, hello

I have a bling bling stereo with my EMPEG planned. can a USB WLAN LINUX driver be added to the EMPEG to remotely boot and access the EMPEG?

Secondly, I lost all the music on my PC, can the EMPEG be read from to Windows OS and saved as MP3s?

Finally for tonight, can the EMPEG code be configured to toggle/read an input/output to which I will connect my Alpine head unit w.r.t. play pause. This ios the least interesting of these questions. Basically I want to use an Alpine audio interrupt box KCE-200V to capture the audio signal to the alpine, but only if the music is palying on EMPEG. Else I will use the blue ext Antennae trigger and have to power down the EMPEG to revert to the CD/MD media drives.

Any thoughts from the softies please?
PS Bluetooth could probably be used over I2C at the IrDa port; CSR do the bst stuff.

#172257 - 25/07/2003 16:07 Re: WLAN to EMPEG [Re: estocks]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Secondly, I lost all the music on my PC, can the EMPEG be read from to Windows OS and saved as MP3s?
Yes, click here.

#172258 - 25/07/2003 17:04 Re: WLAN to EMPEG [Re: estocks]
tman
carpal tunnel

The USB port in the empeg is only a slave port. You can't connect another slave device to it easily. In theory you could make a device which has USB master support and plug the empeg and another slave into it. The device would arbitrate the connection between the two but it's not been done before and also you'd need to write a kernel driver to support this.

In theory if you bought one of Patrick's new tuners and his yet to be released expansion module you could... But at the moment there isn't anything ready made that does it. I'd say the simplest method would be to program a PIC chip that you'd plug into the serial port on the sled. Still leaves the matter of the software but it shouldn't be that hard to do.

The IrDA port in the empeg isn't enabled by default. It's actually a serial port on the StrongARM chip with a IrDA transceiver connected to it. Kim disconnected the IrDA chip and wired in an Ericsson Bluetooth module instead. He put some photos of it here

There is an I2C bus inside the empeg already. I believe the DSP and a few other chips are already connected to it. Benjammin made a I2C fan module which connects to it. His schematic is here

#172259 - 25/07/2003 19:04 Re: WLAN to EMPEG [Re: estocks]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
As already stated, you cannot (without a whole lot of work) connect a USB device to the empeg. However, you can connect an ethernet-wlan bridge to it.

#172260 - 28/07/2003 13:14 Re: WLAN to EMPEG [Re: wfaulk]
estocks
new poster

Loc: Reading UK
OK I have Jemploe, thanks.

Will investigate the bridge, thanks Bitt;

Next up, and I legendar RF engineer am offering in return consultation for, a kernel that will end up with a positive play/no play trigger, I think the looms' antennae wire is fine candidate!