Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#172303 - 27/07/2003 13:42 Touch Up Paint/ Bug Removal
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
While trying to get rid of all the dead bugs on my front bumper, the paint came right off when removing one rather one. I am wondering if any of you know a good way to apply touch up paint so it blends in well. I haven't had much success in the past with my old car. My current car is a red Pontiac Sunfire. Also, does anyone know of a good way to get rid of bug guts from the front bumper. I am using bug/tar remover, but it doesn't work that well on bugs...just tar. Also, does anyone know of any tricks to prevent bugs from sticking to the bumper?

#172304 - 27/07/2003 13:50 Re: Touch Up Paint/ Bug Removal [Re: burdell1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I don't know how much paint you removed, but if it's just a fleck, read this howto about fixing a chip. The Langka stuff seems to be the important part, but I liked the hint about using a toothpick instead of a brush. Regardless, that Langka stuff should smooth it out well.

I've also heard good stuff about using RejeX for keeping bugs from sticking.

#172305 - 27/07/2003 23:48 Re: Touch Up Paint/ Bug Removal [Re: burdell1]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Wet Wipes are perfect for bug corpse removal

#172306 - 28/07/2003 09:25 Re: Touch Up Paint/ Bug Removal [Re: furtive]
Oli
journeyman

Loc: Bucks, UK.
Airbrush. Hobbyist small type.

Use a really fine spray with thinned down paint, apply several coats and the use a good polish to blend the edges in.

Works perfectly if you get a good finish with the airbrsh. READ: Do not put too much on in one pass especially when doing angled surfaces otherwise it will run.

Hope you manage to get a good result.

Oli.