Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17385 - 11/09/2000 22:27 Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread.
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
In reply to:

Tony:
Definitely get the novels and read them that way.

Nooooooooo. Get the radio series. Apart from the fact that the radio series is the definitive HHGTTG, you'll also not be tempted to read the abomination that is Mostly Harmless.

In reply to:

Tony:
No. The BBC-TV version sucked.

I'd have to disagree. The casting was superb (well, I agree about Sandra Dickinson - by the way, she was then married to Peter Davison who played the "dish of the day" in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe scene) and I still can't watch anything with Stephen Moore in it without thinking of Marvin. Unfortunately, the voice of the book, Peter Jones, died only a couple of months back.

The effects were, for their time, excellent too. Did you know that all the book graphics were hand drawn - they spent a massive part of their budget on that. Another large part of the budget was spent on Zaphod's head, which caused several delays in filming when it kept breaking down.

It always amuses me when somebody slates something for being low budget. Surely story, actors and production is much more important? That, for me anyway, is certainly true of Blakes 7, Red Dwarf, and to a lesser extent, Dr Who.

In reply to:

Tony:
Fortunately, Douglas is working on a feature film version now,

And is, apparently fighting against Hollywood's attempt to bastardise the story beyond recognition (the hero is, of course, American. He does, of course, save the world etc. etc. etc.) HHGTTG has been 'in production' several times. Each of those times, Douglas Adams has had the conviction, presence of mind and guts to pull it out after writers, directors and producers wanted to change the whole point of his story. Hopes are, though, high for the latest venture, but we'll see.

The problem I've got with high-budget films is that where there is a story, they detract from it. Then, there's the fact that you can only get so much into a film anyway. Well, like I said, we'll see.

In reply to:

Bryan:
How may I fulfil your vertical transport requirements for today?

Ah, go stick your head in a pig.

Nick.

PS - Just so this is even vaguely Empeg related - How's about some sort of short, snappy and associative catch phrase for the unit? Like The Guide's "Don't Panic".

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#17386 - 12/09/2000 00:03 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: debauch]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Purchasable here.

Blah, I forgot they only sell to EU. Probably their advanced ICL-developed software is not capable of calculating prices exclusive of VAT!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green

Edited by bonzi on 12/9/00 08:12 AM.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#17387 - 12/09/2000 00:07 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: debauch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Nooooooooo. Get the radio series. Apart from the fact that the radio series is the definitive HHGTTG, you'll also not be tempted to read the abomination that is Mostly Harmless.

Okay, the radio series is good. And you're right, it was the original incarnation of the story. The novels were my first exposure, but the radio series is special, as well.

And I really only recommend the first two novels to most newbies, anyway, since they tell a single, cohesive story through to the end.

Unfortunately, the voice of the book, Peter Jones, died only a couple of months back.

A true loss. He did great justice to that part.

Another large part of the budget was spent on Zaphod's head...

As I said in the other thread, you certainly can't tell this by watching the show. It sort of just flops there like... well, like a fake rubber head whose animatronics don't work.

It always amuses me when somebody slates something for being low budget. Surely story, actors and production is much more important?

Well, "production" is a broad term which (by one definition) can be represented by money, but aside from that, yes, story and actors are of prime importance. My point wasn't that the H2G2 TV show was bad just because it was low-budget, but that it tried to tell a high-budget story on a shoestring budget. It was written in such a way that the only thing which could do it justice was a really big budget with hyper-realistic sets and effects.

My biggest problem is that the TV show is going to be many people's only exposure to Douglas' fantastic works, and it doesn't do them justice. I'd hate for someone to judge H2G2 on that TV show alone. From an "immersion" point of view, the novels are much better.

The effects were, for their time, excellent too.

For their time, no, they weren't excellent. Remember that it post-dates 2001, Star Wars, and several other big-budget effects-heavy films. For the limited budget, the effects were OK.

And is, apparently fighting against Hollywood's attempt to bastardise the story beyond recognition (the hero is, of course, American. He does, of course, save the world etc. etc. etc.)

Which Rumor Mill sites have you been reading? Douglas, on his own BBS is very clear to say, "Don't believe anything you read here that doesn't come directly from me, especially anything from so-called 'informed, insider sources', most of which belongs in the Half-Witted Crap Forum." See, there are folks doing things like "leaking" fake scripts which Douglas didn't write and passing them off as the drafts for the feature film.

As far as an American hero, that's not true. Douglas' last word on the subject was:

"I'm a great Ozophile, and I think it would be great to have an Australian or two in the cast. In fact, my ideal cast would be very international. I completely understand the point of view of those who would like the cast to be entirely British, but in fact even the radio series had a mix of accents, and I think that an all British cast would be as artificial as an all American cast. The Galaxy isn't British or American!

When it comes down to it, my principle is this - Arthur should be British. The rest of the cast should be decided purely on merit and not on nationality."

HHGTTG has been 'in production' several times. Each of those times, Douglas Adams has had the conviction, presence of mind and guts to pull it out after writers, directors and producers wanted to change the whole point of his story. Hopes are, though, high for the latest venture, but we'll see.

Right. The reason this latest venture is finally going forward is because this is the one where Douglas is getting creative control over the script. It won't go into production until both he and the producers are happy with the script. And the last word on the script, as of June 21st 2000, was:

"But there is one solid, straightforward piece of good news I can pass on, which is that I finished an all-new draft of the screenplay last week and Jay loves it. It's the first time in all these years that we've had a screenplay which clearly works and seems to solve all the problems of it needing to be both a real version of Hitchhiker and also a proper movie. It's been a very hard circle to square."

#17388 - 12/09/2000 00:22 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: tfabris]
bonzi
pooh-bah

This incredible Tony is again better informed than anybody else (or at least myself )

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#17389 - 12/09/2000 00:25 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: tfabris]
debauch
enthusiast

In reply to:

Which Rumor Mill sites have you been reading?

I was at a reading/Q&A/signing for Mostly Harmless (spit) when it was first published. Somebody asked about films and that was what he said.

Nick.

--

#17390 - 12/09/2000 00:41 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: debauch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I was at a reading/Q&A/signing for Mostly Harmless (spit) when it was first published. Somebody asked about films and that was what he said.

Aha, that explains it. When Mostly Harmless came out, it was a long time ago, and that was one of the film projects where the plug got pulled. The one they're working on now is a completely new and different project where Douglas has more control, and, as you saw, Douglas intends to insist on an British Arthur.

#17391 - 12/09/2000 01:37 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: debauch]
bryan
journeyman

Loc: New Zealand
Just so this is even vaguely Empeg related - How's about some sort of short, snappy and associative catch phrase for the unit? Like The Guide's "Don't Panic".

Any takers for a "Don't Panic" boot logo?

#17392 - 12/09/2000 03:37 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: bonzi]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Thanks Guys, you've got my attention!
But what are the bits you're talking about? On the BBC-site they mention:

Douglas Adams' Guide to the Hitch-Hiker's guide to the galaxy (cassette only)
Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Primary Phase
Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Secondary Phase

Where should I start?

PS: Note that empeg will support bookmarks from 1.1
Henno

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#17393 - 12/09/2000 04:15 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: Henno]
debauch
enthusiast

In reply to:

Where should I start?

Information on "primary phase" and "secondary phase" is rather scant, so I don't know what they are. To be the entire radio series, they would have to have 6 episodes each (I may be speaking crap, and I can't find any reference to it on the net, but I seem to remember that it ran over one series of 5 episodes, and one of 6 with 1 special (Christmas?)).

I bought a box set of six CDs, two episodes on each, but looking around now, I can't find that for sale anywhere any more.

Nick.
--

#17394 - 12/09/2000 07:21 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thr [Re: debauch]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
When HHGTTG first came out, it was six episodes. It did rather well, so another six episodes were released.

First phase... second phase.

I bought the two sets in question during a recent trip to the BBC on my honeymoon. Buy both, and you'll have the complete radio show.

D

#17395 - 12/09/2000 08:36 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: debauch]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Primary & Secondary phase are the CD versions, 6 in all, containing the entire radio series. You can buy them (I did about 2 months ago) from http://shop.douglasadams.com (I think that's the site - Tony already linked to it earlier) and I think the BBC have recently announced a deal with Amazon(.co.uk at least) so you might be able to get them there. (just checked - you can!)

(Sorry I don't have time to check all the above too closely, I'm waiting on a taxi which should arrive any minute!!)

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#17396 - 12/09/2000 09:10 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: Geoff]
Henno
addict

Thanks, I've order the set. Hope they will be as interesting as the BBC Tolkien series.

BTW: the BBC has run out of 'Primary Phase;
And, as you said: both Primary and Secondary are available from Amazon UK
(www.amazon.uk.co)
; their US site doesn't offer these at all.

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#17397 - 12/09/2000 09:44 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: Henno]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

BTW: the BBC has run out of 'Primary Phase

If you buy directly from Douglas' company, both series are offered together as a single set.

#17398 - 12/09/2000 14:01 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: Henno]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
(www.amazon.uk.co)

Henno, I went there, but could not find the 6-CD set for sale. How should I search?

I went to the DouglasAdams.com site, where they do have the set available, but right at the point of placing the order, I was rebuffed by the following:

Please Note: USA shipments cannot be made to PO Box addresses, and can only be made to the 48 contiguous States.

Perhaps they fear that the US Mail doesn't deliver to Alaska, or that their merchandise may be damaged by the long dog-sled trip to get to our igloos?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#17399 - 12/09/2000 14:26 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: tanstaafl.]
Henno
addict

could not find the 6-CD set for sale. How should I search?
I just went to amazon.uk.co and did a search on 'galaxy' and it immedeately listed the primary and secondary CD's (though they were listed as Books

]USA shipments cannot be made to PO Box addresses, and can only be made to the 48 contiguous States.
Thanks for letting me know Doug: I feel less alone now.
I've never understood why so many US shops refuse to ship to Europe (or other parts of the world),
Good to know that they treat your Alaskians the same

(Same goes for the posters in the 'For Sale' section of this BBS that insist on trading within the US only; there's nothing to it: same FedEx, or US Post Office; same bank. And as the empeg folks demonstrate every day: shipping time is not affected either (unless Fritz wakes up, of course )

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#17400 - 12/09/2000 14:30 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: tfabris]
Henno
addict

buy directly from Douglas' company

Thanks Tony, I had spotted that someone mentioned a US site, but couldn't find it back.
Actually, it's cheaper than buying fomr amazon.uk.co (who are a little less expensive than the BBC)

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#17401 - 12/09/2000 15:41 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Perhaps they fear that the US Mail doesn't deliver to Alaska, or that their merchandise may be damaged by the long dog-sled trip to get to our igloos?

I just posted a message to the Douglas Adams info forum asking about it. Who knows, maybe ol' Douglas will have them take care of it for you?

#17402 - 12/09/2000 16:05 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Heh, the first reply to the post regarding Douglas Adams' company only shipping to the 48 contiguous states:

"Alaska is one of the 50 LITIGIOUS states, so sue the crap out of 'em!"

#17403 - 12/09/2000 16:18 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: Henno]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I just went to amazon.uk.co and did a search on 'galaxy'

Exactly what I did. (Well, I searched for "hitchhiker" but either way takes you to the same place.)

I was just too dense to read the fine print that said it was an audio CD, even though the bold print clearly indicated it was in the "Books" category.

Thanks. I'll give DouglasAdams.com 24 hours to respond to my query about shipping to Alaska, and then if I haven't heard from them I'll give my business to Amazon. I think the Amazon price comes out about $7 cheaper anyway.

Once 1.1 comes out, we'll have Wendy Filters and Bookmarks, so I can just tuck it into a corner of the empeg and not worry about it coming up on shuffle, but still be able to pick up right where I left off any time I want. I bet I can stretch it out for months! And I can encode it at lowest quality VBR so it doesn't take too much space. (After all, once I finally have all my music in, I'll have used up more than a third of my empeg's capacity -- gotta conserve, you know. :-)

tanstaafl.

#17404 - 12/09/2000 17:16 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: tanstaafl.]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
And I can encode it at lowest quality VBR so it doesn't take too much space.

Currently, I've got them encoded at 22kHz, 56kbps, MPEG-2 Layer 3, and they sound great. And the entire set of 12 episodes only takes 138MB (less than 0.5% of the storage space of my Mark 2 :).

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB, Red
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB, Blue
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#17405 - 13/09/2000 00:14 Re: Oh go on then, let's have (another) HHGTTG thread. [Re: tanstaafl.]
Henno
addict

Once 1.1 comes out, we'll have Wendy Filters and Bookmarks, so I can just tuck it into a corner of the empeg and not worry about it coming up on shuffle,

Jee, I never imagened that kind of use for a Wendy filter. I guess setting up a filter to exclude the tracks that should be excluded from random play would work. Just hoping there are sufficient filters to set one away for this purpose.

(I still believe it's the wrong way around though, and that the software should have a flag to exclude tracks/playlists from being selected in random playlists, rather than the current option to always play selected playlists randomly.

Anyhow, that's with my limited experience. Is there anybody out here who uses the 'always play random' flag option in emplode?

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#17406 - 14/09/2000 10:16 Re: Update: Shipping to Alaska [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Cool! I knew that the folks at Adams' company read that message board. Here is their reply:

"Yes, there is a way around this. Quite simply, we can and will add Alaska to the shipping list for the services of Royal Air Mail only. There is an issue with the couriers as to which tariff certain areas within Alaska fall under. However, the exclusion was based on an old courier company that we used, we have since changed our shipping services so that we could offer better rates and more flexiblity and therefore apologies for misleading you (or your friend). We do still offer the UPS for the USA but not for Alaska, this is to do with our individual tariff which excludes certain areas. The site information regarding this subject will be amended and Alaska will be added to the list this afternoon (UK time) so that your friend can make his order.

Thank you for your comments and for drawing this matter to our attention.

Kind regards
Mary Ridout"

So, Doug, did you end up ordering it elsewhere?

#17407 - 14/09/2000 15:37 Re: Update: Shipping to Alaska [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

So, Doug, did you end up ordering it elsewhere?

I was going to, but got too busy yesterday. Since they did take such prompt and efficient action on my behalf, it kind of behooves me now to order it from them, even though it will cost me a few dollars more. I like the idea of supporting them directly anyway, rather than indirectly through Amazon.

[two minute pause...]

There, it is now ordered. Their website still says "48 contiguous states only" but I am taking Ms. Ridout at her word that they will really send it to Alaska. I hope their carrier knows how to drive a dogsled... :-)

tanstaafl.

#17408 - 15/09/2000 00:00 Re: Update: Shipping to Alaska [Re: tanstaafl.]
bonzi
pooh-bah

In reply to:

I was going to, but got too busy yesterday. Since they did take such prompt and efficient action on my behalf, it kind of behooves me now to order it from them, even though it will cost me a few dollars more. I like the idea of supporting them directly anyway, rather than indirectly through Amazon.

[two minute pause...]

There, it is now ordered. Their website still says "48 contiguous states only" but I am taking Ms. Ridout at her word that they will really send it to Alaska. I hope their carrier knows how to drive a dogsled... :-)

Nice sentiment, Doug. They promissed me to add Croatia to shipping list, but since they still didn't do that after three days, I ended up ordering at Amazon, anyway. It turns out I saved some $15 (28GBP including shipping vs. 33GBP plus shipping). (If they do add Croatia soon, I might order a T-shirt, mug or something from them to compensate )

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia