Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17754 - 15/09/2000 07:05 Persistent 'unattached items'
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
I have been having some trouble with uploading songs to the empeg USB and Ethernet (like many others). I get about 25% success rate. But this is sort of odd and I have not seen it mentioned: Occasionally I look in the unattached items to see how many have accumulated. I select all in the folder "unattached items"(using ctl-A) and delete. resync and there are new but fewer number of files in "unattached items". So I repeat the process - select all, delete, resync. It usually takes 3-4 iterations to get them all out. It almost seams like it takes as many iterations as tree levels (but I was not paying that close attention).

Any ideas? Not a big deal really, just trying to get a better idea of what its doing.

I am desperately wait for the new code (1.01). Will notification be obviously posted somewhere?

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#17755 - 15/09/2000 08:04 Re: Persistent 'unattached items' [Re: morrisdl]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have been having some trouble with uploading songs to the empeg USB and Ethernet (like many others). I get about 25% success rate.

When you say "25% success rate", do you mean:

a) Emplode locks up 75% of the time.
b) Emplode gives you a synch error message 75% of the time.
c) Emplode has no problems, but the songs seem to disappear after they're uploaded and the database behaves strangely.

If you mean (c), that's a known bug- either strip off your V2 tags or shorten all the field lengths, there's a bug in Emplode with long V2 tag fields which causes this. This will be fixed in 1.01.

If you mean (b), please post the error message details if you can.

If you mean (a), there seems to be a few users who are having this happen. It happened to me halfway through a 4gb upload (the largest single upload I've ever done), but only that one time.

#17756 - 16/09/2000 05:46 Re: Persistent 'unattached items' [Re: tfabris]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Well a and b, never c. If it is USB attached it will just hang, Ethernet I get errors like:

The synchronisation process failed during stage 0:
Error 0xffffffff

The synchronisation process failed during stage 5:
Error 0xffffffff

Another strange thing is during USB uploads it always seems to hang around 25% complete. usually on a "delete..." or "uploading...", never on "preparing to upload". Does this mean anything?

If I keep the uploads small (<50 songs) and simple (like not mixing deletes and adds in one resync) they seem to work with a higher probability.

My setup is:
IBM Aptiva PII 350Mhz, 96 megs Ram, Win 98 (4.10.1998)
Intel 82371AB/EB USB host controller (direct, no hub)
No other usb devices
3Com Etherlink III ISA
2.7Gb of free disk space

Thanks for any input.

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#17757 - 16/09/2000 07:39 Re: Persistent 'unattached items' [Re: morrisdl]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It sounds like you're having the exact same problem that Doug "tanstaafl" Burnside is having. It shouldn't be doing this at all. Has Doug contacted you and gotten any information from you? I know that recently he was trying to round up machine details for all the people experiencing the problem to see if there was any commonality.

Have you turned on logging, made it crash, zipped up the log file, then sent it to [email protected]?

This is, of course, a serious bug, the first serious synch bug since around beta 10 or so. The guys@empeg are investigating it. Needless to say, this isn't the kind of thing they want to have happening, so it's important to them to track down the cause.