Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17947 - 17/09/2000 18:44 Mpeg +? who has heard of it?
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

Loc: CALI
i was browsing throught some files i dled along time agoand i came across a folder called mp+ i rember downloading them adn thinking hey this is kidna kewl. If my memory serves me right it is an ascii based mpeg encoding/decoding system which is some how supposed to give u better sound quality. my ? is this.

has anyone heard of this? has anyone heard a diffrence in standards? and can anyone read german (i have the encoder the player yada yada but the read mes are in german :( )

Im as confused as a baby in a topless bar...

#17948 - 17/09/2000 21:03 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: HighWayDrifter]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
Sorry but, read German?....I can hardly read your english. Try spell check and at the very least read the preview.

What are you typing on a cell phone or something?

Alex Lear

#17949 - 17/09/2000 21:16 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: alear]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
It would appear to me that Highway Drifter is not very good at typing, because if he speaks in real life the way he types, people would have killed him by now.

Calvin

#17950 - 18/09/2000 00:02 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: eternalsun]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

all i got to say is
1. Finger agnosia is a bitch
2. sucks when u can think 50x's faster then u can type (i type at about 100+wpm)
3. Deslexia (i know i spelled that wrong)sucks ass
4. at the rate at which i communicate it takes me 15x longer to double check what i type then it actually takes me to type out the damn message.
5.im allso lazy <---main reason (hence why i dont realy sit there for 4 min trying to correct all my typos, and if u would notice most typos are from hitting the keys in the wrong combo's or by hitting keys in the same area as the ones meant to be hit (finger agnosia). other then that u can suck me one ;)
*note im not realy mad as i get what u guys are saying alot just trying to explain myself some sorry if my typin blows goats but there are very valid reasons to why it does. just FYI.

and if u want to start some flameage be warned im very creative ;) but i know where all adults here and im sure there are 50 other people thinking the same thing (what kind of drugs is this kid on?) none :(

well there glad to be able to clear it all up for you all.

dr3

#17951 - 18/09/2000 03:47 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: HighWayDrifter]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Hi Drifter,

Yeh, I understand.

I too think a lot faster than I type (I bet all people do), and that includes time for translating (not *everyone* here speaks native American).
Add to that the time it takes to proof-read and spell-check before posting and you'll see that many of us invest quite some time to make this board fun.

Think of it: as of this reply, your thread was read some 75 times and if all of these readers need as much time to decipher your writing as I do, it would have been a damn lot more efficient when you had taken the trouble to make your writings at least partly readable

I don't mind the wrong 'combos' as you call them (though with a bit of effort I bet you could try to *sometimes* type adn right), nor spelling mistakes. I'm even getting used to 'u' replacing 'you' (though I hate it), but I would really appreciate your trying to inserting some punctuation some of the time. That would already help quite a bit .

Henno
PS: I read (and write) German
mk2 6 nr 6

#17952 - 18/09/2000 04:21 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It would appear to me that Highway Drifter is not very good at typing, because if he speaks in real life the way he types, people would have killed him by now.

ROFL!

I can confirm that he does speak normal English, and the typos are not a reflection on his real personality.

However, HighwayDrifer, your claim that you type "100 wpm" isn't supportable. Part of any typing speed rating is accuracy. It doesn't matter how fast you type, if you have to spend five minutes correcting errors, that's got to count towards your rating. (Even if a physical handicap prevents accuracy.)

#17953 - 18/09/2000 06:44 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: tfabris]
Ionic
journeyman

Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
Would you mind to mail me that mp+ stuff or at least the readmes? Or otherwise post a valid URL if possible...
[mail to: [email protected]]
thanks... I can write in German, I can read in German, and sometimes, I even behave like a German ;o)
Your Ionic

#15399 (!!!)

#17954 - 18/09/2000 07:35 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: tfabris]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
hjlslkjf asujf a asfk kasf kaksj jf asj jasjp kdsf a k ka kdk af asdbbfae a ds afdnvcmvz czx lvl Z bvj kZV Kjcv bxzc kbkK Bk bjK JBkj v sdb b dasubysdu bb v zb !! !! absd jb bvdjb v bma bsmb alksjfhas uofh wqh a bjfs kbasf bkqwf ban sn navs kuvsa bkuwqfbk vw bawk b bkwkb qbk 313[ opavp oj,.????

That took about 5 seconds. The way I figure it, I can type 753 wpm at that rate. Time to update the resume!

(O|||||O)

#17955 - 18/09/2000 08:25 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: Henno]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
> (not *everyone* here speaks native American)

No, many of us speak English! ;-)

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)

#17956 - 18/09/2000 10:25 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: Derek]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

haha hehehe

sorry guys just a lil testy didnt mean to step on anyones preverbial toes. just kind of a sore spot guess i will have to learn to slow it down a bunch. maybe lay off the jolts and caffinated waters. :)

thanx for being understanding. and tony i actually can type that damn fast with little or no errors when i concentrate hard. but it is kind of hard. well all in all i will email you that mp+ plus stuff asap (might have to wait till the weekend as i am not at my house right now, at my 2nd home)
once again sorry for being a lil snappy.

#17957 - 18/09/2000 12:08 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: HighWayDrifter]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

sorry guys just a lil testy didnt mean to step on anyones preverbial toes. just kind of a sore spot guess i will have to learn to slow it down a bunch. maybe lay off the jolts and caffinated waters. :)

thanx for being understanding. and tony i actually can type that damn fast with little or no errors when i concentrate hard. but it is kind of hard. well all in all i will email you that mp+ plus stuff asap (might have to wait till the weekend as i am not at my house right now, at my 2nd home)

Seriously not trying to flame or anything, but if you attempted to use correct punctuation or capitalization, you would probably not get a lot of the flack you seem to be getting in this thread. Reading your posts is difficult at best. That's not cool, because you might have something interesting to say, but most people will skip over the post because they would rather not take the time to decipher. :)

Anyway, seriously not trying to flame. Just giving some suggestions. If you want people to take you seriously, slow down a bit... add some capitalization and punctuation, and I guarantee you'll get a more positive response. :)

(O|||||O)

#17958 - 18/09/2000 15:32 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
And I really have to say, this particular statement really bugged me:

"my ? is this."

I hate those damn internet short-hands. It's so annoying even when you know what they're saying. My particularly least favorite one would have to be "cul8tr". WHAT? It takes me a longer time to read that then if were spelled out!

I'm not picking on you, HighWayDrifter, just people in general.

ps-by the way, what's your rush? I don't spend much time on my messages and they're almost always free of errors.

DiGNAN

#17959 - 18/09/2000 15:54 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: Dignan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
My particularly least favorite one would have to be "cul8tr".

People still type that? Jeez, the world has progressed a bit since those days.

l8r d00d

(so much more succinct don't you think?)

#17960 - 18/09/2000 16:11 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: rob]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

my rush?

gawd where to start man? the 10-13 hour days at work. Or maybe the 2 hours of class a day and the following 3 hours of homework. Or maybe it is the fact that on top of all this im starting my own nightclub and trying to cordinate a team of 5 people or so into one meshed unit. I think it is just the caffine. IMHO (does that qualify as net shorthand? hehe)

back to work i go now.

#17961 - 18/09/2000 17:22 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: Dignan]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Maybe the board moderators could hook up an interactive version of "Strunk & White," along with the Spell check feature?

(I could sure use a refresher now and then...)

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#17962 - 18/09/2000 18:45 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
hjlslkjf asujf a asfk kasf kaksj jf asj jasjp kdsf a k ka kdk af asdbbfae a ds afdnvcmvz czx lvl Z bvj kZV Kjcv bxzc kbkK Bk bjK JBkj v sdb b dasubysdu bb v zb !! !! absd jb bvdjb v bma bsmb alksjfhas uofh wqh a bjfs kbasf bkqwf ban sn navs kuvsa bkuwqfbk vw bawk b bkwkb qbk 313[ pavp oj,.????

Hold up there, Clem.... 299 characters in 5 seconds. At the standard wpm computation of 5 characters per word, that comes to 59.8 words in 1/12 of a minute. That's only 717.6 words per minute.

Don't try this kind of exaggeration and self-aggrandizement at our expense. We're not that gullible, you know.

:-)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#17963 - 18/09/2000 18:57 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: HighWayDrifter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Hey, HWD -- thanks for taking criticism with good grace and good humor.

Tony tells me that, strange typing quirks aside, you are a pretty good guy!

For the edification of people too lazy to do the massive amount of research I just performed (nearly a full minute using Alta Vista...) I provide the following:

"finger agnosia. As explained to us, this means he doesn't know where his fingers are in space without looking at them."

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#17964 - 18/09/2000 21:12 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: tanstaafl.]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Hold up there, Clem.... 299 characters in 5 seconds. At the standard wpm computation of 5 characters per word, that comes to 59.8 words in 1/12 of a minute. That's only 717.6 words per minute.

Oh. I wasn't aware that was how they calculated wpm (words per minute). My assumption would have been count the number of words typed in one minute. Since I typed 63 "words" in 5 seconds, and there are 5 seconds is 1/12 of one minute, I simply multiplied (incorrectly I might add!) 63 * 12 = 756!

Of course, I'm a doof and this has been carried waaaay too far. ;)

I can't slip anything by you guys!

(O|||||O)

#17965 - 18/09/2000 22:14 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: HighWayDrifter]
ClownBurner

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Jeez, you people all have way too much time on your hands.

#17966 - 18/09/2000 22:17 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: HighWayDrifter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I understand, that does sound like a tough day. And I agree, way to take in the gut and not get pissed. I know I would. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

DiGNAN

#17967 - 18/09/2000 23:20 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: Dignan]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

haha man it is all good im not mad at anyone hell im having fun with it to. i am at one with my inner most typing demons.. haha no worries you all well understand and soon begin to love DreSpeak (my own iconistic language*read typing*) hell my old clannies and I used to speak "drespeak" in clan matches was a fun ole time.. anyone ever read jeefk from somethingawful.com? lol well now everyone calls me jeffk rofl.

this weekend i will post all the files i have regarding MP+ as i can not for the life of me find them off of google.
im dead serious about mp+ i want some of you whiz guys to take a look at it.

#17968 - 19/09/2000 12:16 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Otherwise people would simply type sentences using the shortest words they can think of. ;)

Calvin

#17969 - 19/09/2000 13:17 Typing Superiority Complex (TSC) [Re: HighWayDrifter]
mafisto
journeyman

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
Okay, I've been reading all of HighWayDrifter's posts simply because I was mesmorized by his insane shorthand. I'm all for proper spelling and punctuation, but hell -- this is outright entertaining. Not a rip on you, HighWayDrifter, I'm genuinely interested in your 'speech' patterns. It's like listening to hiphop. I don't understand half the words being rapped out, so it's like a little contextual puzzle trying to figure them out.

So nyah nyah, chill out you old men *grin*

your fiend,
mafisto

#17970 - 19/09/2000 13:22 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: HighWayDrifter]
mafisto
journeyman

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
*cackle* jeffk is almost dead on. You don't use enough script kiddie lingo though. Then again, it's actually more painful slamming numbers into your words than just typing the damn things out.

Anyway, illegitimis non carborundum. Have a good one :)

your fiend,
mafisto

#17971 - 19/09/2000 14:45 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: mafisto]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

o good lord man dont get me started with teh script kidde talk. i am kind of a linguistic butcher. lol as i am in the younger gen (what am i now gen z?) btw yes it is entertaining man and haha half the time im laughing at what comes out to :)

#17972 - 19/09/2000 18:17 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: HighWayDrifter]
sc400
stranger

Loc: SC
The sad thing is, this is one of the most active threads in the past couple of days. Sure am glad I read it -- yeah right.

#17973 - 20/09/2000 04:09 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: sc400]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
The sad thing is, this is one of the most active threads in the past couple of days

You think so?
Wait until we all start to speak our native languages and type in phonetics . . .

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#17974 - 21/09/2000 12:52 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: tanstaafl.]
daveedwards
new poster

Loc: London
Yes. I've heard of it.

d

#17975 - 21/09/2000 15:28 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: daveedwards]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
This seems a good message to reply to to say:

So how does it work?

I.e. what is the difference between MP+ and MPEG audio layer 3? Is it the same old ISO spec. with larger compression bitrates bolted on the top? Does it do something actually new?

The first half of this page seems to be an explanation of how MPEG layer 3 audio works, and the latter half has quite general and somewhat expansive claims. For instance "Lossless encoding using better Huffman codes" - which is basically technobabble as the Huffman coding is only done on the coefficients of the DCT - after all the 'unhearable' information is thrown out - and choosing a better Huffman code table would result in (slightly) increased compression, not lossless coding. Other claims on this and other pages are merely codec claims - 2x speed (on a pentium 3-750, surprise surprise), better quality for the same size, and so on. I haven't seen anything that tells me anything useful about the format itself, because there's nothing in the technical description that I can see that applies to only the MP+ format - although I may be missing it in all the jargon.

Anyone got a better grip on it?

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#17976 - 21/09/2000 20:40 Re: Mpeg +? who has heard of it? [Re: PaulWay]
HighWayDrifter
journeyman

that is y i brought it 2 u guyz so u kan help me figure it out some more.

*hehe this was written esp for who ever it was that loved shorthand ;)*

no seriously thought i wanted to see if one of you guys who knows alot more about mp3 and encoding could take a look at it and tell me what is realy better.