Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#179866 - 18/09/2003 11:39 Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help....
Raas
stranger

Hi,

Sorry if my tone gets a little aggressive but I'm more furious than words can describe! Here's a tale of woe for you...

I took my peugeot 306 into the registered peugeot dealer because the airbag light was flashing and the window motor on the drivers door was broken and of course giving them prior notice that I have a custom stereo install for their reference. So I left it with them all day.

So upon my return I find they've not put the door panel back on properly and the speaker cable is poking out of the wingmirror housing (where my tweeter is)!! And they didn't even replace the window motor as they didn't have the part!!!So I get 'Tony' the service prat to come and see what his monkey's have done. I'm already seeing the red mist, he knows this and acknowledges it's substandard work to say the least. I fein calmness and drive away still £77 down.

As I drive away with the riocar plugged back in, I hear a sound that could kill! Surely not, surely they haven't messed with the ice, surely not after me telling them about my custom install. But my worst fears were confirmed when this unearthly noise repeatedly came out of my speakers. This was made even more scarey by the fact the stereo hadn't even booted up yet!

Tony was about to know what real pain felt like.

How do I describe the noise? Its a kind of ear shattering, low tone BEEEEEP.............BEEEEEEP............BEEEEEEEP and after about 6 of those, it turned itself off. Tony unwisely decided to defend his collegues work... not a good move Tone.

After about 15 minutes of me ranting, swearing, gesticulating, talking about his mother etc. etc. he came to the conclusion that I was not a satisfied customer. But not one word of apology. I am now taking it back there tomorrow for them to sort out. I know I'm asking for it by doing that, but I have no choice and its the only way I'll know what they've done to it.

But the point of why I'm telling you all this, is partly to get it off my chest, and partly becuase I'm hoping maybe someone out there has come across this noise and problem. And hopefully give me a litle info on the cause so I can go back tomorrow and tell them what to keep their little fat fingers away from.

Wishful thinking it may be but I'm kind of nervous about letting them loose on it with no knowledge of the unit.

Someone please help, being this angry is shortening my life expectancy by the minute.

Yours optimistically,

Captain Rage

by the way, I have it linked to a 4 way directors amp, bridged to jl sub, with quart comps in the front.

#179867 - 18/09/2003 11:51 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If it's any consolation, it's more likely that they've damaged something in the speaker wiring than hurt your empeg.

#179868 - 18/09/2003 11:53 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Oh, and by the way, the only thing I know that would make the empeg itself "beep beep" like that is the Hijack high temperature warning. Check to see if the empeg works OK on the AC adapter, and check to make sure the temp warning is disabled.

Anyone know if the temp warning setting is independently stored for AC/DC power?

If the temp warning is off and the empeg works OK on AC power, then I'd assume that it's something other than the empeg that's going wrong.

#179869 - 18/09/2003 11:59 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: tfabris]
Raas
stranger

I agree, I didn;t have the empeg connected when they were doing the work. I plugged it back in when I was about to drive away from the garage. I just hope plugging it in hasn't damaged it...

#179870 - 18/09/2003 12:02 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

It's the same setting for AC and DC power.

#179871 - 18/09/2003 12:06 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: tman]
Raas
stranger

I've just plugged it into mains and it seems to be running fine. I just don't understand how they could have possibly damaged some aspect of the stereo when they were 'looking' at the window mechanism and replacing a connection under the nearside seat.

Rage subsiding..... homicidal tendancies down 30%

#179872 - 18/09/2003 12:07 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
tman
carpal tunnel

Could it be that they've shorted out the speaker wiring? The beeps could be a warning from the amp or something?

#179873 - 18/09/2003 12:11 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: tman]
Raas
stranger

Would a damaged wire cause that? It was bloody loud, I'm pretty sure the speakers were working, although can't be sure, too loud to tell which area its coming from....

#179874 - 18/09/2003 12:16 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
tman
carpal tunnel

No idea. You got the amp manual to see if it's got short circuit protection?

#179875 - 18/09/2003 12:35 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: tman]
Raas
stranger

It does have short circuit protection. Not sure what it does when its 'protecting'..

#179876 - 18/09/2003 12:42 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
tman
carpal tunnel

Dunno but mine just mutes and then shuts down. But it's a possibility.

Or the morons have some how connected your amp to the electric window wiring

#179877 - 18/09/2003 13:10 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: tman]
Raas
stranger

I wouldn't put it past them mate! I am still in shock about the whole ordeal. Go in there for them to look at the window and fix the light.

I come out, with a busted door panel hanging off, wires falling out and my stereo knackered. All for the bargin price of £77.

Moral of this story, stear clear of Platt's Peugeot in High Wycombe.

#179878 - 18/09/2003 13:25 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Small story about Peugeot service. My brother and now-sister-in-law was driving along in her Peugeot 306 diesel early one morning, when it suddenly lost lots of power and started making black smoke. She pulled over and turned the engine off and it didn't stop, this apparently being an occupational hazard for diesel engines with oil leaks. Well, a terrified minute or so later it did sputter to a halt, so they got it towed to the Peugeot dealer up the road where she'd bought it. Several times my brother explained to them that they shouldn't just turn the engine on to see what happened, as they might not be able to stop it. Then he had to go to work.

Now, even if he hadn't known from the tone of voice on the phone call he got that something was wrong -- and even if the sheepish looks on everyone's faces when he got back to the garage hadn't told him that something was wrong -- the way they were still trying to clear the whole workshop area of black, acrid smoke would probably have given it away. Some muppet had just turned the engine on to see what happened, and they hadn't been able to stop it: it had just run away until it had burned off all the lubrication oil, and then seized. They ended up having to replace the entire engine. The car was two months old.

Peter

#179879 - 18/09/2003 16:22 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I come out, with a busted door panel hanging off, wires falling out and my stereo knackered. All for the bargin price of £77.

Moral of this story, stear clear of Platt's Peugeot in High Wycombe

And to top it all off, I bet you had to deal with the shitty traffic on London Road.

#179880 - 18/09/2003 18:32 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Not much fun.

Rule One: DO NOT TRUST ANY GARAGE TO DO ANY KIND OF REPAIR WORK ON YOUR VEHICLE.

Rule Two: Complain to the IMPORTER, not the garage.

First off though, check that the player works OK on the mains adaptor. This should give you peace of mind.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#179881 - 19/09/2003 02:09 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: schofiel]
Raas
stranger

So I'm not the only 1 to have nasty experiences with garage wannabies.

I've just taken my pride and joy back in this morning for them to put the panel on properly, get the wiring tidied up and a full refund. I also wanted any changes in the wiring to be put back, and to my suprise he was going to charge me for it, and when I refused to leave the stereo with him, he got all shirty and refused the refund!! What a nob!

So now, he's just tidying it up, removing the block that fixed teh airbag light and giving me my cash.

What a complete waste of my time. I just hope they haven't ripped the thing apart to spite my anger against them.

Bunch of tosers.

Raas

#179882 - 19/09/2003 06:24 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: peter]
speedy67
enthusiast

Loc: South-West-Germany
and they hadn't been able to stop it

was that a car with automatic transmission? If not, you can stop the engine by hitting the brakes and shifting to the 5th (or 4th) gear.

I needed this long ago with my Alfa Spider, when the gas got stuck at full throttle.
My first thought was about those film-scenes, when someone races down the streets and can't stop the car.
Then i cleared my mind and just hit the brakes...

cheers, Thomas

#179883 - 19/09/2003 09:41 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: genixia]
Raas
stranger

Oh yes, the lovely traffic at rush hour too. If you're local, look out for a 306 BEEEEPING down the road with a very pissed off bloke behind the wheel.

That'll be me that will.

#179884 - 20/09/2003 15:13 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: Raas]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
<cliosport.net>Well mate, that's reno dealers for you. They make peugeot look like a class act!</cliosport.net>

Seriously though, I've just bought a Clio 172 and I'm currently looking at putting the empeg into it. I intend on leaving the empeg out when I take it to get anything done (I have a feeling i'll be there a lot).

Until I get some more photos, here's an arty one taken with my 7650.

Attachments
178992-Clio and sun.jpg (94 downloads)

Andy M

#179885 - 20/09/2003 15:20 Re: Peugeot service broke my empeg!!! Help.... [Re: schofiel]
pdw
stranger

In reply to:

Complain to the IMPORTER, not the garage.

Absolutely. If this is an authorised dealer, complain to the manufacturer's customer service department. A colleague of mine used to work for such a department, and they do actually keep scores of complaints made about dealers, and dump the worst ones. You should be able to get at least a refund out of them.