Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18317 - 21/09/2000 15:35 Getting ahead of the disk causes odd info displays
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
OK folks, this is a weird one. It's easier to demonstrate than explain, but bear with me. It's really just another manifestation of "spool-up is blocking things", but it has some extremely odd consequences. If it wasn't so completely reproducible, I'd attribute it to sleep deprivation. ;)

Initial conditions:
Mk.2 #39, 18GB, v1 Consumer
Playing from root (1840 tunes) with shuffle on.
Disk has spun down.
Info:Track on the display.
I don't have any custom playlists or duplicate tracks at the moment, just a simple tree following Genre:Artist:Album:Tune

I discovered this when a tune had just started, and I really wanted to hear the next tune in that playlist (album), but wanted to go back to shuffle after. Doing a lot of shuffle-from-root playing, I knew the keystrokes, so I pressed the following front panel buttons fairly quickly:

Down Menu
Right Move to Shuffle
Down Toggle Shuffle (to On)
Right Skip to next track
Down Menu
Right Move to Shuffle
Down Toggle Shuffle (to Off)

A moment of silence as we wait for the disk, and...

The player started playing the correct tune, but the display showed all the info for a different tune!

Now, some further fiddling showed some very interesting things. For clarity here, the tune that is actually being played is the "right tune" and the tune that is displayed is the "wrong tune."

Info:Now and Next will show the right tune, but Info:Track and Info:Line show the (same) wrong tune.

If you pause the player (Up on the front panel) the pause indicator shows, and when you resume (up again) the display gets corrected and shows the right tune. (I tested this with Info:Track, haven't verified with Info:Line yet)

Here's the interesting one: On a powerdown (either ACC going down or yanking the unit out of the sled, doesn't seem to matter) the wrong tune gets stored, so it will start playing the wrong tune when it comes back up.

I haven't experimented with this case very much, but I can imagine unpleasant things happening if the right tune is longer than the wrong tune, and empeg_state contains a time that is after the end of the right tune.

Try it... if the disk is spun down it's pretty easy to reproduce.

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#18318 - 21/09/2000 21:11 Same bug, more observations... [Re: n6mod]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
You can get the same behavior from the remote. Hitting 0 >>| 0 will have the same effect.

Also, skipping around in the newly reshuffled playlist will clean up the problem, when you come back to the track that was misidentified, the display is correct.

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.