Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#183548 - 07/10/2003 20:32 Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where?
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I've searched and can't seem to find the info (which I know was posted recently) - what's the mfg/part# for an input harness that'd let me use an aux in on a Sony HU? I think it was f/s at Crutchfield, but the only thing I see there is the $100 Sony XA-300.

-Zeke

#183549 - 07/10/2003 21:51 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: Ezekiel]
DeadFire
addict

Crutchfield is pretty good about informing the customer of adapters available for a CD Receiver with changer control to allow you to connect a normal AUX source. I searched the site myself and all I found was the XA-300 you mentioned, and one other that does essentially the same thing for the same price (XA-C30?).

This leads me to believe that there is no cheap, simple adapter to allow you to connect an auxiliary source to a Sony CD Receiver that doesn't already have AUX input. Or if there is, Sony doesn't make it. (Yet another reason not to buy Sony.)

A search on Google for "sony aux adapter" didn't turn up much, either. I know that other car stereo makers do this; Alpine for one. But obviously Sony saw the opportunity to create yet another expensive accessory.

#183550 - 08/10/2003 09:08 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: DeadFire]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
There used to be a Sony XA-107 that was just the AUX-input adapter. They were pretty rare and were discontinuted a year or two ago by Sony.

EDIT: changed adapter model #

#183551 - 08/10/2003 09:42 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: JBjorgen]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sony XA-39

The Sony XA-39 is/was a RCA switch - two sets of inputs (connects to 2 head units) and one set of outputs (connects to amp(s)) that was controlled by the amp remote turn on outputs of the HUs.

It doesn't provide an AUX in as such, but can allow you to pipe another source through to the amplifier(s). No good if you're running the speakers off the HU.

/Michael

#183552 - 08/10/2003 09:44 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: JBjorgen]
DeadFire
addict

That's still kind of steep. I think he was hoping for the Sony equivalent of this. But I couldn't find anything similar. In that situation, I wouldn't want to have to spend that much just to hook up my empeg to my CD Receiver.

I haven't worked up the courage to do the whole amp/sub install yet, so when I was looking for some new stuff I specifically set out to find a head unit that had AUX in RCAs on the back, or at least one which would allow me to pick up a cheap adapter. I mainly focused on Alpine and Kenwood, and it didn't take long to find just what I wanted.

#183553 - 08/10/2003 10:07 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: mtempsch]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
crap...it's the XA-107 that I was thinking of...editing original post to avoid confusion. Here's the service manual. Looks like you could make your own.

#183554 - 08/10/2003 15:56 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: DeadFire]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Deadfire - Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I have something that looks like it should work that came with (it even says Aux In), but the head unit refuses to switch on the RCA leads when I switch to AUX, like it's waiting for a $100 signal. Rrrr. That or the damn thing is just broken (which wouldn't suprize me, given Sony's general long-term quality). I want to allow the Mrs. to use her Karma in her car. I mean it's fun playing with it in my car as the Aux input to the empeg, but it's really a bit pointless.

-Zeke

#183555 - 08/10/2003 22:33 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: JBjorgen]
DeadFire
addict

Basically still the same thing. All of the Sony input adapters are overpriced little boxes with circuit boards and features added, when all you want to do is change the type of connector to get what you want to hear to come out of your head unit. Sheesh. I wouldn't be surprised if that circuit board changes the signal somehow, and that's why the Sony head unit refuses to play the AUX IN, even if you have what seems to be a simple version of an appropriate adapter. I hate Sony.

#183556 - 09/10/2003 00:37 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: Ezekiel]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I have something that looks like it should work that came with (it even says Aux In), but the head unit refuses to switch on the RCA leads when I switch to AUX, like it's waiting for a $100 signal. Rrrr.

If it has another plug [bus] beside the RCAs, it's quite likely that a CD changer or something similar needs to be present on the bus for the RCAs to be enabled.

Yep, a litte googling and I found the gnunilink project on sourceforge - looks like the HU definately wants some sort of response from something on the bus...

/Michael

#183557 - 09/10/2003 09:59 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: DeadFire]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Yeah, I figured it was something sleazy like that. If anyone made an FM tuner the equal of Sony's I'd have bought another brand in an instant.

-Zeke

#183558 - 26/02/2004 11:47 Re: Sony Aux Input Adapter - Where? [Re: Ezekiel]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I use the XA-300 to enable the Aux In.

It works really well, you don't need to have an auto-changer plugged into the other side, some of the others I saw when I was looking added an extra input but needed to have a changer plugged in to work. In fact I don't even pass audio through it.

It does make some clicking noises, but I only hear them because I have it under the drivers seat. It's a rip off at £100 (or $100!!!) but it works.

Cheers

Cris.