Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#183587 - 08/10/2003 04:16 AnnaVU and tuner question
mpelaz
journeyman

Hi all

When I'm listening to the radio (pcats) and I pause it, annaVU begins to get higher, until it collapses at top of the scale. Right channel rises faster than left. When I unmute it, everything returns to normality...
This problem seems to happen too if volume is near zero, but still audible.
Does something to do the whine (alternator noise?) I have when the engine is running?
riocar runs 2.0 final with Hijack 330

Miguel.
Madrid.

#183588 - 08/10/2003 04:25 Re: AnnaVU and tuner question [Re: mpelaz]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
i think there was a bug connected with that i thought they blatted it but maybe not

#183589 - 08/10/2003 04:50 Re: AnnaVU and tuner question [Re: mpelaz]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
Because the visuals are created directly from the digital information in your music, what sounds like a bug in the VU meters could not be due to alternator whine. Perhaps upgrading to 2.0 final might fix the visuals issue?

There is an excellent FAQ answer that describes how to deal with alternator whine. It's a pain to have to sort through because (most of the time) you have to take your dash apart to fix the problem, but if you want it fixed it's probably the only way.

John

#183590 - 08/10/2003 06:26 Re: AnnaVU and tuner question [Re: mpelaz]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
This is normal behaviour, even with the stock factory Empeg tuner.

I suppose one might consider it a minor bug in the player software, but it has always behaved that way, so just ignore it.

Cheers

#183591 - 08/10/2003 07:05 Re: AnnaVU and tuner question [Re: johnmcd3]
mpelaz
journeyman

Hi again

> Because the visuals are created directly from the digital
> information in your music

Well, it only occurs in Tuner and not in player, I guess it's due to visuals in tuner mode uses an AD converter to meter sound... maybe AnnaVU has a volume autogain and with no sound the alternator whine do that... don't know.

> Perhaps upgrading to 2.0 final might fix the visuals issue?

Well, I'm currently running 2.0 final. I don't know if it was similar with previous version, since I hadn't tuner yet.
What I haven't tried yet is muting the aux and see what happens... I guess this behaviour has something to do with visuals from analog inputs. (?)

I'll try to forget it and try to solve my whines :-)

Miguel.
Madrid.

#183592 - 09/10/2003 16:42 Re: AnnaVU and tuner question [Re: thinfourth2]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I believe the visuals have AGC scaling on them when on AUX or tuner inputs, in order to give nice looking visuals even when the signal level is low. Hence, they bump up the gain of the ADC progressively higher on silence.

This is probably what you're seeing.

Hugo