Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18610 - 25/09/2000 15:47 Dupe or not a dupe?
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I was just cleaning some tags on my "Various Artist" section and started wondering something. What, in Empeg/Emplode, qualifies as a duplicate? Do the Emplode tags need to be identical for the dupe-removal to work?

I am curious because I have several CD compilations with shared songs. I would like to use the same song file for both, but tag each to reflect the collection they are from. For example I have "Let's Stay Together" in both Al Green's Hi and Mighty: The Story of Al Green and Pulp Fiction Soundtrack. With it this way, it plays twice if I play all songs by the honorable Rev. Green...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#18611 - 25/09/2000 16:19 Re: Dupe or not a dupe? [Re: bootsy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm pretty sure that the only thing that qualifies as a dupe is the same exact file (FID) as stored on the Empeg's hard disk.

For instance: If you upload a song once, then copy it to three different playlists, those three copies are dupes of the original song. They're just links to the original FID of the first copy you uploaded. Those copies will be removed from the playlist when you shuffle-play the whole unit, so the song will only appear once in the shuffle.

But if you accidentally upload the same song again (for example, if you re-encode it and you forget to delete all four instances of the original before uploading the new copy), then the Empeg doesn't know it's the same song and you'll now have two similar-sounding copies. As far as I know, it doesn't try to pattern-match or use tags to determine whether or not to dupe-remove it. They're two different songs as far as the Empeg is concerned.

#18612 - 25/09/2000 18:11 Re: Dupe or not a dupe? [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
"Poster: tfabris
Subject: Re: Dupe or not a dupe?

I'm pretty sure that the only thing that qualifies as a dupe is the same exact file (FID) as stored on the Empeg's hard disk.

So... In Emplode, if I were to copy a track from one playlist to another, and then change the "source" field on the new instance, they would be considered the same file (FID would still be the same)??

I guess I could test this... I hope it works...
UPDATE: I just tried this and changing a field on a copy, changes it for all instances. Boo... Oh well.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

Edited by bootsy on 26/9/00 02:18 AM.

#18613 - 27/09/2000 12:56 Re: Dupe or not a dupe? [Re: bootsy]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
UPDaTE: I just trIed thIs and changIng a fIeld on a copy, changes It for all Instances. Boo... Oh well.

There is just one copy. As I said somewhere recently, every tune gets two files, one with FID ending in '0' containing the MP3 itself, and another with incremented FID, an ASCII file with tags. Playlist '0' file simply lists FIDs of tunes and/or lists it consists of. So, emplode copy is actually a link, but without a separate set of attributes.

Perhaps it would be usefull to have data file FIDs of the form xxxx0 as now, and tag files with FID of the form xxxxN, with N being not just 1, but [1-9a-f] (123456789abcdef for regex challenged :)) Emplode and emptool would then differentiate between copy and link. In both cases we would refere to the same tune/playlist data file, but would be able to have up to 15 different sets of tags. (I have found I would sometimes like to have a copy of a playlist under different name.)

Thoughts?

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue