Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18828 - 28/09/2000 22:35 Kernel/Logo Download Issue
JoMo25
stranger

Got my new MkII earlier this week.(It shipped to me on Tuesday morning in Texas after ordering it on Sunday afternoon!) Loaded all my songs. Will install it tomorrow. But I'm trying to set up a custom logo in the meantime. I'm following the instructions in the FAQ exactly. But I'm getting the following error as once I run "Download.exe output.bin a000" from a DOS prompt:

Read 0 bytes.
Read 0 bytes.
Read 0 bytes.
Read 0 bytes.
Read 0 bytes.
Error status in readbyte 16
Read 0 bytes.
found empeg unit: entering program mode
manufacturer=0089, product=88c1
waiting for prompt
starting erase [Read 0 bytes.
erasepage(a000) got code ff

I get a bunch of "Read 0 bytes" as soon as I execute the command. Then I get the error as soon as I plug the Empeg back in.

I know I'm using the right COM port version of Download. I know I've got the right Serial port. And I know it works. (I had to re-load the player software using the Upgrade tool in Emplode via the COM port since I tried to download a kernel too and that basically made the unit un-bootable. Thank God that worked!)

Any ideas? I've searched the forum and haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Apparently, others get the Error Status message, but it still flashes successfully. Any help will be much appreciated!

- John
Queue #15154
Red #080000487

#18829 - 29/09/2000 08:57 Re: Kernel/Logo Download Issue [Re: JoMo25]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I know this one. I'll go add it to the FAQ after replying to it here.

I think there may be something wrong with the way I compiled that download.exe that I linked in the FAQ. Sometimes it doesn't work correctly on my NT box. The "read 0 bytes" means that the COM port isn't responding the way the program expects it to.

If it says "read 0 bytes", do not plug the power into the Empeg. Instead, ctrl-C out of the download program. Either reboot the computer and try again from a fresh boot, or run Hyperterminal and connect to the empeg then disconnect. After that, it should work (at least it did for me).

#18830 - 29/09/2000 21:54 Re: Kernel/Logo Download Issue [Re: tfabris]
JoMo25
stranger

Tony,

Thank you very much! Your suggestions worked! First I rebooted and that did the trick. But it would continue to happen after a few downloads. So instead of rebooting, I just opened HyperTerminal and ran an AT to the port and that would also work nicely. I see you've already added it to the FAQs too!

Now that I've got my empeg installed in my car and have put a custom logo on (S2000 logo), I'm all set! And it is so sweeeet!

- John

#18831 - 01/10/2000 04:36 Re: Kernel/Logo Download Issue [Re: tfabris]
wdienstm
new poster

Loc: Germany
I try to use the last download.exe to upload a custom logo,
but the following happens:

C:\empeq\logostuff\download ford.bin a000
Turn on empeg unit now
Error status in readbyte 16
found empeg unit: entering program mode
manufacturer=0089, product=88c1
waiting for prompt
starting erase [Failed to get echo-back on erase command.
erasepage(a000) got code 1

Are there any hints, what is going wrong on my site.

I use a MKII with V1.0 and V1.01r2

Thanks for any help

Wolfgang

Gelsenkichen, Germany

#18832 - 01/10/2000 09:48 Re: Kernel/Logo Download Issue [Re: wdienstm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
C:\empeq\logostuff\download ford.bin a000

It might just be complaining about the file. Make sure you CD \EMPEG\LOGOSTUFF before typing the download command.

Also, are you using a recent version of download.exe, made from the latest sources which support the Mark2?

Finally, check your com port settings. Are you using the correct com port? Is the port set to 115200, N/8/1, and No Flow Control?

Let me know what it ends up being when you work this out, and I'll add that information to the FAQ.

#18833 - 01/10/2000 13:38 Re: Kernel/Logo Download Issue [Re: tfabris]
wdienstm
new poster

Loc: Germany
Thank you for try to help.

It might just be complaining about the file. Make sure you CD \EMPEG\LOGOSTUFF before typing the download command.

This would be done

Also, are you using a recent version of download.exe, made from the latest sources which support the Mark2?

I take the download.exe from the MultiCOM Zip Archiv
2-13669-download.zip.

Finally, check your com port settings. Are you using the correct com port? Is the port set to 115200, N/8/1, and No Flow Control?

I checked all the parameters befor, and again after your answer, but it doesn't work.
I try it all the times with my IBM Thinkpad 600 under Windows NT4. No chances after booting or connect with Hyperterminal.

Now I am going to another Desktop System under NT4, and it works bow fine. I am not realy sure what going wrong with the Thinkpad, connections with emplode works fine with it.

Let me know what it ends up being when you work this out, and I'll add that information to the FAQ.

maybe someone else have the same problem.

Thanks for your help.

Wolfgang

Gelsenkirchen, Germany