Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#188726 - 10/11/2003 16:07 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I thought Bend it like Beckham was a boring re-hash of every other sports-type movie ever made. They all have exactly the same format, and they all end exactly the same way.
"Bad News Bears with Soccer Chicks."

(Disney's "The Mighty Ducks" was once described as "Bad News Bears on Ice.")

#188727 - 10/11/2003 16:30 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: rob]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
This is a subject that I have constantly been questioned on. When your favorite films include The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, and the whole of the Matrix series narrow minded people are quick to assume your faith is weak. I am not an empty bucket into which the media can pour its thoughts at will. I recognize that when I walk into a theatre any part of my belief system may be challenged and to be honest I look forward to it.

#188728 - 10/11/2003 16:31 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: matthew_k]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I was interpreting your post wrong. Were you saying that Bend It Like Beckham should have been rated lower than PG-13? I'm a bit out of touch, and consider anything under R to be a "good rating".
And I was unsure how you responded to it

My implication was that PG-13 is too high a rating for those films. It gives many parents a sense that this movie isn't safe for their children. But mainly, when two movies of such different content are placed in the same category, the system doesn't make sense.

The same goes for other ratings, but I can't think of any examples at the moment.

Oh, and I like that policy, Tony.

#188729 - 10/11/2003 16:58 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: mwest]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
1. My favorite movie of all time is "Taxi Driver" by Martin Scorsese.
2. It is not an endorsement of homicidal psychosis or child prostitution.
3. History shows not everybody is smart enough to realize #2.

So, yeah, I know what you mean.

#188730 - 11/11/2003 05:16 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: tonyc]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
(Disney's "The Mighty Ducks" was once described as "Bad News Bears on Ice.")

John G has this theory that almost every action film can be described as "Die Hard in/on a X". I've heard another theory that most films can be summarised as "Dude, Where's My X?". John R got the prize for this one: The opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan" == "Dude, where's my leg?"

#188731 - 11/11/2003 15:31 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
I really enjoyed the "Dogma" review

#188732 - 11/11/2003 15:43 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: lopan]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Wow - those 2 reviews are the best I've seen so far! I can just imagine somone sitting in the movie theater with their little counter things in each hand counting up 47 incidences of the most foul of the foul words. They must watch each film 8 times to get all the categories!

It reminds me of the Father Ted episode where Ted and Dougal are asked by the Bishop to protest against the film 'The Passion of St Tibulus' and end up making it the most successful film ever on the island.

(Talking about the film)
Ted: I know for a fact St. Tibulus wore more clothes then that. He was from Norway or somewhere, he'd have frozen to death

Dougal: And do you remember that bit when St. Tibulas tried to take that banana off the other lad

Ted: That wasn't a banana Dougal

[image]http://empeg.comms.net/files/187830-untitled.bmp[/image]

Edit: My picture won't show up! Feck!

Attachments
187830-untitled.bmp (62 downloads)

Edited by PhilipOHare (11/11/2003 15:47)

#188733 - 11/11/2003 18:30 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Edit: My picture won't show up! Feck!
Because it's a BMP. Make it a JPG and you're golden.

#188734 - 12/11/2003 13:53 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born

Thanks Philip

#188735 - 13/11/2003 02:37 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Jumping in late here, but I haven't seen anyone mention this:
Of course children don't have a fully developed "filter" in place at their young age, and in a Christian home I think it is the responsibility of the parents to act as this filter.
I think that's the responsibility of parents in any home, Christian, or non.

#188736 - 13/11/2003 12:04 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: canuckInOR]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
Agreed, and I'm sure Jeff would as well. I think information on the site or others like it is informative. It seems odd to think of someone sitting in the theatre counting uses of the f word, but anything else would be open to interpretation. Mild language or adult language are phrases that are just to open to interpretation. I watched The Shawshank Redemption with some friends who felt the language was too intense. I remember mentally turning on the Wendy filter for Pulp Fiction. As has already been said but bears repeating, the failure of such sites is in the mixture of personal belief with raw data. Personal critique only means something if I know who the person is and have made the decision to trust their feelings on a subject. Raw data in this sense (meaning on this site) is more powerful and more usable. At the same time descriptions often seem worse than they are. Rob Roy for example has a rape scene. When you see the movie though the scene is troubling but less than graphic. The Outlaw Josey Whales has a rape scene as well which is far more disturbing. Placing both in the same category is not helpful to someone trying to decide whether or not to watch the movie.

#188737 - 13/11/2003 12:27 Re: Movie Reviews by Christians? (funny stuff) [Re: mwest]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I remember mentally turning on the Wendy filter for Pulp Fiction.
Wow, how does that work? I must have outdated firmware...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2