Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19127 - 02/10/2000 00:12 lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ?
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hi there !

I just wanted to nag again, because the condition of my empeg is really lousy now:

The rotary knob is at home all the time, because the problem got worse and worse, by now i don't need sun to make it slip, even the empeg unit itself produces enough temperature to make it slip ...

The display really is bad without AR coating, so i got rid of the plastic, now i can read the display 80% of the time, not 50% like before ...

After all my Mk2 looks like crap now without knob and faceplate.

empeg, could you please offer help now or in near time for both problems ?!?!

I am really getting frustrated, we are not talking of sending someone to Mars, it is just AR coating and a proper knob !

Nils

#19128 - 02/10/2000 03:28 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: Nils]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Nils,

It's really not so simple as "Just a Knob/Coating". Empeg are making a serious attempt to sort this out; there is a fix for both underway (and may even be ready at this point - Rob was hoping that they would be ready for the User's meet this weekend, unforch not ). All products need a manufacturing lead time - think back to the point when the problems were first recognised (June? July? In any case sometime around 8-12 weeks ago) and then consider that the period of elapsed time may just be the lead time for finding a solution to the problem (not something you can sort out in 20 minutes), and then manufacture of the solution. Recent examples I can think of in the automotive world have been the trim problems BMW had with the recent revision of the Series 3, the electrical problems Alfa has had with the early examples of the 156, and various others. All newly introduced products have periods of time where the bugs are worked out of the manufacturing process, not the design itself. Given the fact that the Mk2 is virtually all new design, using a completely different manufacturing process, the number of problems have turned out to be relatively small, and are being actively chased down. Empeg themselves do not shirk the problem, and have gone considerably further in sorting out problems to early product than many others have - have you tried to get BMW to replace the peeling, separating seat trims on your brand new $48,000 BMW 3 changed recently? Owners have been removing seats and dumping them on the doorsteps of dealers to get them to listen to their complaints. I think empeg Ltd. are doing pretty well on that score.

You have already been promised a fix, they are in the works, and empeg are pushing their suppliers daily to deliver as early as possible; they have invested in the fix at high cost and are going to take a large hit replacing just the knobs. Why are you complaining?

I am not sure why you would describe it as "Lousy" - do none of the other features of the player merit a rather less than harsh description in a moderately aggressive posting? Perhaps you can source suppliers who can do AR coatings and mould up new knobs from scratch in less than 12 weeks? If so, then maybe you should be getting in touch with Rob & Hugo immediately, I am certain they will be extremely grateful....

PS Can I suggest that if this is a really big issue for you, that you fall back to good old-fashioned self-help - ie., think about the problem and try to resolve it with a temporary solution.

- you could wipe the display lens with a really thin layer of vaseline. This should be sufficiently dispersive to reduce reflection (photographers have been using this since time began to do exactly this). Alternatively (if you don't like this admittedly less than attractive method), go to your local camera shop and buy yourself a bottle of diffuser coating, normally applied to the exposer plate of a photo-enlarger to improve diffusion of the light source. This is expensive, however.

- go to your local auto supply. Buy yourself a tube of Loctite thread lock compound. Be sure to check that it is not cyano-acrylate based, as this type will attack plastic. Apply one drop to the shaft of the rotary, ensuring it is clean and free of grease first (likewise the inside of the knob, which you could clean with alcohol first), then push the knob home. Let it set according to instructions before using it. This compound works anerobically, and will give you some 70N/m torque resistance, which should be more than adequate to stop the knob rotating on the shaft. Since it is an automotive product and is designed for harsh environments, it is unlikely to be affected by the piffling amount of heat generated by the empeg player itself.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#19129 - 02/10/2000 06:14 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: schofiel]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
We don't recommend that you actually glue the knob to the shaft of the rotary. This renders it almost impossible to remove the faceplate without causing damage to the display PCB.

If you do feel the need to do something like this, simply apply a small blob of adhesive to the shaft. Wait for it to dry, and then put the knob on. This should give you the traction required, without preventing removal of the knob.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#19130 - 02/10/2000 06:58 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: Roger]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

No, I know what you mean (don't glue it on) - but Loctite is a thread friction compound, not a glue (in spite of the fact it is based on chemicals that evolved into superglue a few years ago). It prevents vibration loosening threaded components due to co-rotation, but never "dries" the way a glue does. It has been the mechanic's friend since it was used by Rolls-Royce on the Merlin in WW2. They managed to reduce the overall weight of the engine by reducing the number of locknuts required simply to hold the engine together.

I have sucessfully used it over the years to simply stop things coming loose - an example most recently was to stop the fingers of a clock simply flopping round their drive shafts. The fingers now "grip" properly, but it only takes a little tug along the axis of the shaft (axial) and the fingers come off immediately without (much) effort when the air seal breaks. Clock fingers (and their drive mechanisms) are fragile, don't forget, so Loctite should be suitable to locate and lock the control knob without permenantly fixing it to the shaft - as pointed out by Hugo or Rob a while back, this would then create the risk of the entire control ripping off the PCB and snapping the extractor/filler neck of the display panel when you tried to remove the (glued) knob.

#19131 - 02/10/2000 12:11 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: schofiel]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
This "Loctite"... Is it a tar-like substance? I noticed there was a fair amount of this stuff on my old head unit when it was swapped out. Shortly thereafter I found the same substance dabbed on the screws of my rear speakers...

Kind of like black chewing gum... messy.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#19132 - 03/10/2000 02:35 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: bootsy]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

No. Loctite is sold in small tubes like superglue, but it is *not* a glue. It is usually a blue, or milky fluid and you only need a drop or two.

I don't know what the substance is that you describe - "Black sticky stuff", maybe?

#19133 - 03/10/2000 10:40 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: schofiel]
hoagy

Loc: Silicon Valley
>You have already been promised a fix, they are in the works, and empeg are
>pushing their suppliers daily to deliver as early as possible; they have
>invested in the fix at high cost and are going to take a large hit replacing
>just the knobs. Why are you complaining?

The alternative for Empeg is that many units get returned at the expense of the company. Can you imaging how long you would keep a $1300 Alpine or Kenwood stereo if the knob didn't work after 3 weeks? In fact Empeg is lucky that most of their customers understand that they ARE early-adopters and things like this happen. Otherwise they would have many units either returned or sitting in warranty service.

My display is fine - brighter in fact than my Alpine. But the knob is definitely disappointing. My new fix is holding so far: a 3mm x 4mm piece of scotch tape applied to the shaft. This seems to be enough to get a grip without needing excessive pressure to put the knob on the shaft.

-Hoagy.

#19134 - 03/10/2000 18:04 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: Nils]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
It took almost two months for the design company to come up with a (very ingenious) new knob design and it took six months to find a company able to AR coat injection moulded screens such that they remain compatible with ITO EMC coating afterwards. In fact the final samples (effectively the first production shots) of those screens arrived on my desk this morning.

Both items are being manufactured right now. Sorry, I can't magic them out of thin air, it takes time to manufacture things.

Rob

#19135 - 04/10/2000 00:19 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: rob]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Now that *IS* good news ...
And despite what schoffel said, i am not going to risk my PCB with glueing the knob, because i heard the story of the poor guy ruining his plasma display with ripping out the rotary control together with the knob, trying to get access to the faceplate.

And *no* i am not going to spray/paint/cover my faceplate in any way, so it might get even worse, i am sorry, but i saw the responsability for this at empeg ltd, and it turns out that you guys are coming up with a solution now

:-)

( still seeing any frustration in that face up there ??? :-)

Okay, could you give us any info, whether we have to pay for this or not, and when/how to order the nexessary items ( AR display red + "anti-slip" knob ) ?

Thanks !

Nils

#19136 - 04/10/2000 04:47 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good news ? [Re: Nils]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Gaaah!!!

Once, and once only:

LOCTITE IS NOT GLUE.

When did I ever say it is glue? Can you point me to the thread where I state explicitly that it is glue? Please?

#19137 - 05/10/2000 17:04 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: rob]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
Is there an ETA then, on when existing MkII owners can expect their replacement AR faceplates to arrive?

Not "impatient", just trying to get a feel for the timeframe. :)

D

#19138 - 06/10/2000 01:37 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
They're not replacement panels as such - if you want an AR coated panel you'll have to buy one. The slipping knob is clearly a design flaw, but the front panel was designed to be exactly as shipped - AR isn't mentioned anywhere in the product description. We didn't expect there to be such a problem, and in any case we were unable to find anyone that could get an AR coating to stick to an injection moulded part - and leave the part suitable for ITO coating on the rear face - until a couple of weeks ago.

In recognition of the difficulties some people are having with the uncoated panel, we will offer a significant discount to anyone that has purchased an uncoated panel (including replacement panel kits). The usual price is $32 but we expect to reduce this to $10 for the aforementioned clients. Availability is now expected to be within 1 - 2 weeks (the panels are made, it depends when the coaters can slot them into their schedule). Postage will be charged at cost - recorded airmail generally takes 2 - 5 days, and would cost around $6 to the USA.

Rob

#19139 - 06/10/2000 07:50 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: rob]
Dredd
enthusiast

In reply to:

They're not replacement panels as such - if you want an AR coated panel you'll have to buy one.

I'll reiterate that this is just completely wrong. Mk.I users all had AR panels, and since putting a non-AR panel in an automobile seems inconceivable, it was safe to assume for us that the Mk.II would ALSO have AR panels. This IS a design flaw, not a "feature", and should be treated as such.

In reply to:

AR isn't mentioned anywhere in the product description.

No, but one might also note (I haven't done the research yet), that when you listed off the many times "what's changed from Mk.I to Mk.II" that you never mentioned that the AR coating was being removed, in which case, the AR coating was implied by its lack of mention in that context.

Furthermore, even if the AR wasn't mentioned, the tuner was, so was voice recognition, and we've been notoriously patient about letting Empeg slide on these two topics. For you to sit there and point to the marketing materials as the Holy Scripture of what you have to provide and then forget that you're NOT currently providing what the marketing materials say you will provide. (For example, if you're going to play that game, then I want my FM Tuner _TODAY_, not next week, not next month, TODAY, because the marketing materials say, and I quote:

The player has a modular tuner interface, for which an FM module is initially available. The FM module includes RDS (Radio Data System) for station naming, auto re-tuning and traffic announcements - RDS stations are commonplace in Europe and steadily increasing in the USA.

You are directly claiming that it IS available, not that it will be available at some future date.

Empeg has a long history of "doing the right thing" in terms of customer service, but to tell us that you don't owe us AR panels because you didn't promise them to us, despite the fact that it would have been an obvious assumption (based both on experience with the Mk.I, and with knowledge that real-world needs dictated AR panels), just seems to go completely against everything I have ever thought about your committment to service.

I have to be honest when I say that this situation would give me cause to SERIOUSLY rethink my preaching of the unit to co-workers and friends, because Empeg is completely dropping the ball on a serious customer service issue. Yes, I understand the AR panels cost more, but - really - that is NOT our problem. That's Empeg's problem for not designing the unit right the first time.

Empeg's behaviour in this would be like Firestone demanding that people pay money to exchange the tires on their Ford Explorers. It's just ludicrous.

D

#19140 - 06/10/2000 09:22 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
I see your point but personally I don't mind spending the 15 or 16 dollars to get an AR coated panel. I think they shipped the mk2 without the AR coating because they couldnt find a manufacturer that would handle their specific needs at that time. If they had waited, you would still be waiting for your player right now. I would rather have the unit without the a/r coating for this last month than not have it at all-I've been waiting since december for this player and some of you have been waiting even longer than that.

Sean

Empeg 12 gig green 080000078

#19141 - 06/10/2000 09:42 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Terminator]
Dredd
enthusiast

That's not Empeg's argument, though. That implies that they intended all along to ship with AR but were just looking for a mfr. who could do it, in which case, they should have said "the first units won't ship with AR panels, so if you want AR, you should wait."

I would rather wait for quality than have something that is seriously misdesigned shipped to me more quickly. I'm willing to accept the lower-quality rushed handiwork when I know there's a committment to make good on it. Given Empeg's past track record, I thought that was logical. Where the early units had failings, Empeg would make right by them. Now I see that this is NOT the case.

Personally, I can certainly afford the cost of the AR panel, but its the principle of the matter, that I shouldn't HAVE to... any way you look at it, it is Empeg's fault that I need a new panel, either because they misdesigned it by not including AR, or because they shipped early units without AR without notifying us that we could opt for later units which would have AR.

If I DO have to spend the cash to get an AR panel, then Empeg can rest assured that it will be the LAST of my cash they see.

D

#19142 - 06/10/2000 11:51 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
FLAME!!!

Go buy a Sony or some other brand player and see if they will update you device when they make a design change!! You won't even be able to PAY to get the new display or whatever. I think empeg have been and are being VERY good! And besides they're still a very small company just trying to get started. Do you want to kill them off and the empegCar along with it? Give the guys a chance!

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)

#19143 - 06/10/2000 12:13 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Derek]
Dredd
enthusiast

In reply to:

Go buy a Sony or some other brand player and see if they will update you device when they make a design change!!

This is less of a "design change" as a "design flaw", and you can bet that Sony would never dream of shipping stuff without AR panels, because they know that -- DUH -- cars are exposed to the sun, the sun is bright, and the screen needs to be anti-reflective.

In reply to:

And besides they're still a very small company just trying to get started.

... and making very bad customer-service decisions isn't going to get them any larger.

In reply to:

Do you want to kill them off and the empegCar along with it?

No, but if replacing $30 parts is going to kill them off, they're far closer to oblivion than I can affect in any way.

D

#19144 - 06/10/2000 13:30 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Keep racking up those fantasies man ... Who knows, you might actually convince someone if you keep it up long enough...

Don't look at me though cause I have nothing but positive things to say about Rob and the other guys@empeg not to mention their product.

And if you think empeg is not doing it's job you get me a software upgrade for my Nokia 7110, that thing crashes more then an XT trying to run Windows 2000 ...

The software for my empeg is just a click away ... Maybe some things got delayed, maybe some things are not on it that you took for granted ... But then in a few months it will have all that was promised and more so stop you bellyaching.

Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19145 - 06/10/2000 13:35 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

This is less of a "design change" as a "design flaw", and you can bet that Sony would never dream of shipping stuff without AR panels, because they know that -- DUH -- cars are exposed to the sun, the sun is bright, and the screen needs to be anti-reflective.

Just the record, my blue empeg w/o AR coating is MUCH easier to read in the sunlight then my sony cd player..
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#19146 - 06/10/2000 13:49 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: EngelenH]
Dredd
enthusiast

In reply to:

And if you think empeg is not doing it's job you get me a software upgrade for my Nokia 7110, that thing crashes more then an XT trying to run Windows 2000 ...
The software for my empeg is just a click away ... Maybe some things got delayed, maybe some things are not on it that you took for granted ... But then in a few months it will have all that was promised and more so stop you bellyaching.

Who said anything about software? Software is (generally) a "Cost-less" proposition (except where additional licensing/re-licensing fees are necessary, as in the case of the audio formats Rob and co. are talking about). I would expect (and indeed, get - kudos to Empeg on this front) software updates for free unless I'm paying for some new feature (WMA, for example, although I'm not sure if that has a license fee associated with it) that I didn't previously have.

If you have a phone whose display is consistently unreadable, though, you would take it back to the vendor/mfr, and expect them to replace or repair it to make it readable. THAT's what we're talking about here that the Empeg folks are (apparently) not willing to do.

D

#19147 - 06/10/2000 14:33 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm torn on this issue.

I see the consumer's point of view: An AR front panel is important enough that it should have been there to begin with. I mean, I'm still using my Mk1 and its AR panel is great- and I know that things would be pretty awful if it didn't have the AR coating.

On the other hand, the Empeg folks were satisfied with the non-AR design and called it "done". If folks hadn't been making noises here on the BBS about it, and if Empeg hadn't said anything about AR panels possibly becoming available soon, there would have been no issue. If Empeg had simply said "That's the way it is, there's no AR coating on the Mark 2, sorry", then folks here wouldn't be screaming and asking for it for free.

My guess is that if Empeg shipped a free AR panel to every current MK2 owner, they'd be taking a bath to the tune of between $10,000 and $15,000 US dollars when you figure in all the associated costs. Perhaps more, if there have been more than 1000 units shipped already (have there?). They've already had some problems with having to re-ship incorrect serial cables, send extra ISO connectors, etc., so perhaps they're already stinging from the costs associated with that.

I don't know what The Right Thing To Do is in this situation. Should Empeg be asked to take that big of a bath on something that they didn't originally design into the product? Should some customers just expect to live without AR? This is a very tough call. Empeg's current offer of shipping the AR panels for more or less "shipping/handling cost" sounds like a good compromise from that standpoint. But from the consumer's point of view, it sounds like you're getting charged for a warranty item.

In the meantime, there are users out there with Empegs that have their front panels and their knobs removed because of this and other issues, waiting for a resolution...

#19148 - 06/10/2000 14:46 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: tfabris]
Dredd
enthusiast

Tony,

Simple question:

Should Firestone be asked to take a bath on something they looked at and called "finished"?

The cost of making good on faulty manufacture or faulty design is a "cost of doing business". It's something that a business builds into their overhead (or at least, they do if they want to survive). I don't have lot of compassion for a company that took $2,000 of my money crying over how much it costs to replace a $30 item that's -- essentially -- hosed.

In reality, US consumer laws (and potentially UK) would permit owners to simply demand refunds (usability for marketed purpose type laws, since cars are exposed to the sun, you could make a case that it isn't usable on a sunny day with the top down). Which hurts more? People asking for refunds or spending $30.00 on replacing the part?

Which hurts more? Thirty dollars in replacement parts, or the potential lost sales from bad word-of-mouth about customer service?

D

#19149 - 06/10/2000 15:17 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Right, like I said, I see the consumer point of view. But you're stretching the analogy too far by comparing it to a defective tire. The panel isn't defective, it's just not as good as the new version that's coming out soon.

The only reason you consider it to be defective is because they're planning on shipping a better version. And if they hadn't told us about the better version, no one would have anything to complain about.

Your other point is well taken- is it cheaper to send out a bunch of $30.00 parts or to take returns on a $1500.00 product? That's really the root of the problem. Companies have to take cold, hard looks at questions like that. How likely will they get returns from customers in sunny climates? Are they willing to risk alienating customers and potential customers over it?

There's one other thing to consider that I hadn't thought about until now. They do those panels in batches. They probably don't have enough batched right now to cover shipping them to all Mark2 owners and still be able to get through the current queue. They're probably worried about being able to cover all their bases with current stocking projections.

#19150 - 06/10/2000 15:17 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I wanted to stay out of this, and it's clear that you are gonna be pissed about it until you get a free AR faceplate, but here's my input:

The AR faceplate won't make your display magically readable in direct sunlight. This is a problem in every head unit i've ever seen. I can read my empeg display with no AR in direct sun, with effort, but no more effort than my high end sony CD head unit, which is actually more washed out in the same sunlight. Your implications that the faceplate is essentially "hosed" without the AR is where i find fault in your otherwise good argument. If you base your argument solely on the fact that it was assumed by you that because the mark 1 had AR that the mark 2 would despite it not being advertised as such, that also falls through, and bringing in the fact that the tuner was advertised is irrelevant to this issue, but is indeed a very valid point. (i for one would rather wait and recieve a much better more featured tuner than get a crappy one NOW.)

It's not a faulty design simply because in some instances it doesn't work as well as you'd like it to. Had empeg claimed it was there and it wasn't, you'd be 100% correct. Comparing it to Firestone is a stretch... a better comparison would be if the black color on the tires faded to a gray in a short amount of time after you purchased the tires. Saying it's like the tire ripping to shreds is too much. If the empeg caught your car on fire, that would be a valid point.

empeg is making good on the actual faulty design points, such as the loom wires coming loose, the rotating knob problem, and the null modem cable mix up to name just a few. If those aren't examples enough to prove how commited they are to making good on their mistakes, then nothing else will be.

The replacement screen will cost you ~$16. I personally don't even feel i need the AR screen, but if i did, 16 bucks would be nothing to pay for a feature that wasn't promised you in the first place. For the amount of service Empeg is giving for free, you should be more than happy to not even have to pay full price. Most companies would charge you a price for even a quarter of the amount of service they have been giving. Suck it up man.

|| loren.cox

#19151 - 06/10/2000 15:27 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: tfabris]
Dredd
enthusiast

In reply to:

The only reason you consider it to be defective is because they're planning on shipping a better version.

No, actually, I've been saying it right along. I'm one of the people who got them LOOKING at replacing the AR in the first place.

In reply to:

Your other point is well taken- is it cheaper to send out a bunch of $30.00 parts or to take returns on a $1500.00 product? That's really the root of the problem. Companies have to take cold, hard looks at questions like that. How likely will they get returns from customers in sunny climates? Are they willing to risk alienating customers and potential customers over it?

Actually, the real math works out to:

Where n(R) is the number of returns, and n(S) is the number sold:

Is ( 1500*n(R) > 30*n(S) )

If the answer is yes, then the math is an easy no-brainer. You do it, because, for no other reason, sending the hardware is a mathematical success.

Where the above equation is NOT true, then you have to modify it to include n(pS), the number of POTENTIAL (but lost) sales and do:

( 1500*(n(R)+n(pS)) > 30*n(S) )

In THAT scenario, it almost always works out to be beneficial to send the replacement hardware as well.

On the issue of inventory... that's a whole different thing... saying "we've got these coming, and we're trying to ration everything so that we minimize the number of non-AR panels that go out on units, while still replacing the non-AR's that are out there at no charge, so it may take longer to get it to you". That's a FAR cry from what we're hearing now, which is "bite us, if you don't like the non-AR, cough up currency".

D

#19152 - 06/10/2000 16:48 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I would expect ... software updates for free

Man, what planet do you come from?

I am racking what few brains I have and I cannot think of a single software supplier (besides empeg) who provides "software updates for free". Most don't even provide bug fixes for free -- you just wait until the next iteration of the software comes out and then you pay more for that than you did for the original version of the software in the first place.

I don't expect empeg to provide me with anything after the sale, so long as the product works as advertised. It does, so I'm satisfied, and any extras they offer (such as improved viewing capabilities in sunlight at highly subsidized prices, or improvements/additional capabilities in the software) are really nice bonuses. You certainly won't find me complaining about not getting things for free that they never promised in the first place.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#19153 - 06/10/2000 16:51 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Oh my god !

Rob send this guy an AR faceplate and contact me about payment arrangements so we can end this thread...

Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19154 - 06/10/2000 18:30 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dredd
enthusiast

I dunno who you buy software from, but I've had my OS upgraded automagically at no additional cost, most of the applications I own have upgrades built into the purchase cost, etc.

Listen to your own statement... like "improved viewing quality in sunlight" is an add-on feature. What planet do YOU live on where viewing in sunlight is not the NORM?

D

#19155 - 06/10/2000 18:32 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: EngelenH]
Dredd
enthusiast

Actually, I have to be honest... if it is just me who ends up with a free one for bitching, I won't stop bitching, because then Empeg is still not doing the right thing. I've already said I can happily afford one, but the issue is more than just "what Derek needs or wants".

Giving me one to "shut me up" isn't providing good customer service for all the rest of the people who need them, which is the issue.

D

#19156 - 06/10/2000 18:34 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What planet do YOU live on where viewing in sunlight is not the NORM?

Heh, Doug lives on the planet Alaska, where (depending on the latitute), you can go for long periods without sun.

Give Doug a break about the software-upgrades thing, he's a bit out of touch in certain respects. He still uses Ami Pro and Aldus Photostyler.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >