Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#191836 - 12/01/2004 12:34 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: edsmiata]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
At this stage, I would recommend a drastic step. Next time you have a lot of time, take it apart from the dash. Check any and all crimps for a loose connection. Insulate any electrical junction (RCA connectors wrapped in electrical tape, etc.). Wrap the sled itself with electrical tape. Verify that the wires in the harness are all secure. You certainly have a loose contact somewhere...

#191837 - 12/01/2004 13:09 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: pgrzelak]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
i agree! maybe this deep freeze we are having will keep me in this weekend!

#191838 - 17/01/2004 01:20 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: edsmiata]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
I had this problem. I cut up a thin box and lined the iside of the cage (cut holes for cooling).
did the trick.

#191839 - 21/01/2004 10:42 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: pgrzelak]
edsmiata
addict

it's back........(sigh)

#191840 - 07/02/2004 12:50 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: pgrzelak]
edsmiata
addict

From my mouth to God's ear..this is the truth

Ok..so the whine got worse to the point of insanity...so..the temp today was in the 40's..went to the car..pulled out the Sony...pulled out the empeg with sled...booted it up..NO Whine!!!

Put the sled back in...bent the tabs..slid in the empeg...LOTS of Whine!!!

Take the sled out again..slide in the empeg..NO Whine!!

Hmmmm what is going on here...

So...with the empeg playing i slide the sled back in..NO Whine...Go Figure..but I am happy :-)

So i slide out the empeg bend the tabs to secure the sled...slide in the empeg...Whine is BACK..WTF!?!?!?!?!

So..to cut to the chase..and this is the interesting part of my tale....

when i bend down the lower left tab to secure the sled...Whine is there
When I leave the tab straight...Whine is Nowhere!!!

I dont know why or how..but for the present time it is working and i dont care to know why!!!

..and thats that

#191841 - 07/02/2004 13:35 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: edsmiata]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Let's just pretend this didn't happen and not ask any questions.... Walk away slowly...

Congrats!

#191842 - 07/02/2004 16:02 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

a) What is under that lower tab? Something the player can be grounding on?
b) In bending that tab, did you pull the player back out / push it back in?
c) I still recommend wrapping the sled in electrical tape...

#191843 - 07/02/2004 22:28 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Assuming for a moment that the bent tab isn't touching anything else metal other than the player...

I wonder if there is a bad/intermittent contact between the player docking connector and the car sled docking connector. You know: the part that's supposed to dock and undock, the wiggly thingy in the back. And that the bending of the tab is changing, slightly, the positioning and pressure of that contact. Sometimes it makes good contact, therefore no whine. Change the angle that the player seats into the sled, it makes poor contact, you get whine.

Have you tried simply cleaning the contacts?

#191844 - 07/02/2004 22:30 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Another thing. Did you ever open up the player and look to see if any of the wires that went to the docking connector INSIDE the player were loose or if they were chafing on the sled or something?

#191845 - 07/02/2004 22:34 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Let's just pretend this didn't happen and not ask any questions.... Walk away slowly...
I tried that once. An intermittent contact problem in my TV set was fixed by putting pressure on one of the PCB boards. It seemed like that was the proper fix. I called it fixed and walked away.

Eventually, over time, I would have to change the amount and direction of pressure on the PCB board to get it to work properly again. Then eventually no amount of pressure was enough. Finally I got fed up and disassembled the innards completely to remove the main motherboard, found the bad solder joints, resoldered them, and the set's been golden ever since.

#191846 - 09/02/2004 07:40 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: pgrzelak]
edsmiata
addict

The dash is all plastic...with the tab bent it could perhaps be touching the metal cage that the sony attaches to..but i took that out so i would suspect no....

with the tab bent it does push the sled further in the dash..and since my sled does not have a curled upper lip, perhaps it is too far in so that the contacts on the connectors were not seating as well as they should..which is supported by my prior experience of pushing in that side of the empeg in order to eliminate the whine.....

but gnomes being what they are i will keep you posted in any changes in the situation

believe me i am as tired of telling you this as you are of hearing it..but...for the benefit of some useres that may garner even the slightest bit of information out of my saga..i will be back!!!

#191847 - 09/02/2004 11:58 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

and since my sled does not have a curled upper lip
Aha. There you go. Not going into the sled far enough, connection points on docking connector are not making good solid contact.

I remember someone asking about the upper sled lip a long time ago, and I never saw you answer that question until now.

#191848 - 09/02/2004 12:05 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: tfabris]
edsmiata
addict

Ya..the dreaded uncurled upper lip syndrome! just by eyeballing it i can see that the top of the sled extends further out than the bottom...(this should be the worst of my problems!!)

#191849 - 09/02/2004 12:53 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I've seen a number of sleds with the erroneously flat upper lip and I've yet to see one interfere with the insertion of the player. In every case, the extended lip fit just fin into a recess on the back of the fascia. I'm sure that's not by design, but it happens nonetheless. I think blaming anything on that is premature. On the other hand, it may be worth looking at in case the happenstance fit doesn't occur on all players/fascias/sleds.

Edited by wfaulk (09/02/2004 12:53)

#191850 - 09/02/2004 13:04 Re: I Give Up!!!! [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Yup, I had one for a while, and it never caused me any problems, the player always seemed to "lock" into the sled just fine. I felt guilty having david replace it as it worked just fine, but he of course did it happily.

Matthew

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3