Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#19187 - 10/10/2000 05:08 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: altman]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Actually, that blue-green might be the perfect match for my dash lights!!! If you do make any of these as a trial, please consider make them available to customers as well. Thanks!

Paul G.
Q# 15189
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)

#19188 - 10/10/2000 07:21 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: rob]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Ok then... well I do also have a convertible that I will be putting my empeg into next Spring. :) So then I just might need the AR Coating.

Later.

#170... I got SN: 080000101 12 gig Blue!

#19189 - 10/10/2000 15:45 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: altman]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
ooooh....!!

Calvin

#19190 - 11/10/2000 09:06 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: eternalsun]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I just thought I'd add my experience to this.

I was one of the people with the display brightness problem. I was absolutely unable to read it during the day. It was okay at night but not great, and at home it seemed fine. So I sent it back to empeg and they told me it was running at 1/6 its normal brightness. I can tell you now, when I got it back it was 600% better. I can read it pretty well in direct sunlight, too. I really don't see what the problem is.

In my van I have an Alpine NAV system directly above the empeg (you can bet my friends are impressed). In the same direct sunlight, the empeg is easier to read than the NAV, which I thought was pretty good before. I am satisfied with the display right now, but if people start saying that the new panels are a large improvement, I'll consider upgrading. At this point it is the scratchable surface that worries me most.

As for us "sheep", has it occured to you that some of us are perfectly happy with the results of our product? It's ridiculous to think that because most of the people on the board are proponents of empeg, that means that we are all to "afraid" to post our opinions. I posted my opinion on the poor display problem of my empeg. They then determined it to be a hardware problem that they proceeded to repair under warranty. Now I am satisfied, and I don't complain because this is a great product and a great company.

DiGNAN

#19191 - 11/10/2000 09:07 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh, and I wouldn't mind paying for a new panel.

DiGNAN

#19192 - 11/10/2000 09:35 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: altman]
rmitz

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I for one would be very interested in a neutral filter panel.

Fly me to the moon...

#19193 - 11/10/2000 17:17 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh, and one more thing. The fact that I'm posting and asking questions on this board at all means that I enjoy the feedback from the users and from the company itself. As I've said before, the only other occasion that I've seen this kind of interaction with a company is with Klipsch, the speaker company. They also have a message board which not only convinced me to buy the speakers, but was also invaluable in terms of getting help with them, and getting feedback on any sort of issues. And while you don't have the president of the company posting on the board (bravo, Rob), you have qualified staff members.

In that situation as well, complaints from the message board caused a change in the manufacturing of the product. After complaints of hissing from ProMedia owners, Klipsch started to produce a low-gain preamp instead, which virtually eliminated this problem, and they sent out free replacements to the existing owners.

So for now, I applaud the companies (mainly the startups and the smaller businesses) for their grasp of the internet and it's communication/consumer relations possibilities.

DiGNAN

#19194 - 12/10/2000 01:13 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dignan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I'm not the president of empeg, Matt, I'm not even executive - just lowly Operations Manager!

Hugo (altman) is co-founder and Technical Director, Steve is the other founder and Commercial Director. Steve doesn't get the time to post here, he's too busy living the jetset lifestyle *grin*

Rob

#19195 - 12/10/2000 08:37 Bistromathics [Re: Dredd]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Boy, I'm glad you didn't design Concorde, Derek, otherwise the buggers would be raining down on Paris.

I see you have conveniently forgotten:

- postage costs
- packaging costs
- insurance costs
- administration costs in sorting out client addresses, etc.
- employee overheads to pack & dispatch

...which could make your "$30 part" somewhere closer to $70. Oops.

Let's see then, if we all ordered the curry with no starter, then we should divide this by 16,000... Oh hang on though, you two had the Irish coffees and there was all the extra beers and pappadums we had before the main course. Damn, we'll be here all night. Anyone got any loose change?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#19196 - 12/10/2000 08:45 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

usability for marketed purpose type laws, since cars are exposed to the sun, you could make a case that it isn't usable on a sunny day with the top down

Damn!! You are right! Not fit for the purpose intended! Well, in that case I have just decided that I am totally unsatisfied with my Mk1, because occasionaly, I can't see the screen in sunlight with the top down on my TR 6. I don't give a flying fart that the unit does fulfil it's primary design role (playing music).

Rob, I demand that you send me a free Mk2 to replace this unit. It is just not acceptable that within one year of me buying this unit you have totally obsoleted it with a clearly superior design.

Which hurts more? One thousand pounds in replacement units, or the potential lost sales from bad word-of-mouth about customer service?

#19197 - 12/10/2000 08:49 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Dredd]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

"The Master of the Shifting Sands"

Subtlety, Derek, subtlety.

By God, I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of you when you get really ticked off.

Oh, I just realise. I am, and you aren't. Ooop.

#19198 - 12/10/2000 08:56 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Well then Tony -

How about a poll?

#19199 - 12/10/2000 09:12 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Nils]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

I don't know why, but some people think, they get credits for beeing nice to empeg ltd. ...

I think I might just take this personally. Yes, I think I will. In fact, that strikes me as a pretty good idea.

Nils, are you under the impression that various members of the BBS are specially privileged, i.e. that they get freebies or other such goodies from empeg for being nice??!! Or have you forgotten that this is pretty much a closed, self-congratulatory community of like-minded souls? What benefit do you think you get by being pleasantly complimentary?

- act 4 getting personal

Don't

After the comments you make here, you can still make a statement like this and keep smiling??

I'm beginning to wonder if while I've been away the BBS has been taken over by aliens, who look and sound the same as before - it's just that they are now aliens.

LOOK OUT! THEY'RE COMING!

#19200 - 12/10/2000 10:22 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: schofiel]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Probably the same aliens who are conspiring agains Tony (tfabris) and me getting our ADSL before the year is over.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19201 - 12/10/2000 10:46 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: schofiel]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
In reply to:

I don't know why, but some people think, they get credits for beeing nice to empeg ltd. ...

I'm just nice to everyone... Peace...

Personally, I think these threads should belong in a different forum - Complaints...
I probably wouldn't read them, as it takes too long to load the pages ( damn this thread is long... )

Frank van Gestel

#19202 - 12/10/2000 10:52 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: EngelenH]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
We've got those aliens here in the U.K.. They're called British Telecom and Oftel .

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#19203 - 14/10/2000 07:56 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: schofiel]
Nils

Loc: Germany
>I think I might just take this personally. Yes, I think I will. In fact, that
>strikes me as a pretty good idea.

Why do you think i meant you ?! I didn't ...
What i meant was the type of comments, that appear in threads, where empeg ( the device or the company ) is criticised and peaople just post things with an overall contents like "shut up" ( they don't actually say so, but whatever they write in 5 - 15 lines goes this direction, without adding any info for the problem that someone was annoyed about.

Strange you saw yourself in my words descibing people like that, i didn't think of you. You are surely aligning with empeg's official opinion often, but i guess this is just because it IS your opinion, and you always add new info/hints to what you're saying.

>Nils, are you under the impression that various members of the BBS are
>specially privileged, i.e. that they get freebies or other such goodies from
>empeg for being nice??!! Or have you forgotten that this is pretty much a
>closed, self-congratulatory community of like-minded souls? What benefit do
>you think you get by being pleasantly complimentary?

No, if i would think so, i would sent automated compliments & nice emails to this BBS and to all empeg members every 10 nano seconds.
( You can't really think that i thought so, that is what was striking me, with those people, they don't BENEFIT from that behaviour. )

>After the comments you make here, you can still make a statement like this and >keep smiling??

Yes, without a problem.
As i didn't talk about one special person, and as i did not mention names ( which i won't do also in the future ) i couldn't be accused of getting personal myself. Again, whyever you felt i meant you, that is your problem and that is not true.

>I'm beginning to wonder if while I've been away the BBS has been taken over by
>aliens, who look and sound the same as before - it's just that they are now
>aliens.

Thats exactly what i thought, i just thought it about other people.
( And NO i don't mean you, do i have to include that for all my following posts ?? )

:-)

So whatever you make of this, i am sorry for troubling you, but nevertheless i meant my posting exactly as it was, although its not really bad, as we just speak of a technical toy, not more.

Nils, surprised !

#19204 - 14/10/2000 07:58 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: EngelenH]
Nils

Then i am under friendly fire i guess as my DSL also is delayed :-)
( for the more serious answer to this read my comment above )

Nils, ET :-)

#19205 - 14/10/2000 08:00 Re: lousy state of Mk2 now ... Where's the good ne [Re: Roger]
Nils

different tribe here, DEUTSCHE TELEKOM, but they are easy to detect, they are all dressed in pink ( I don't think they're gay, at least not all )

:-)

Nils

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3