Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#193186 - 12/12/2003 18:30 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Agreed. I CAN NOT do FPSes on console
Same here. I also tried to play the GTA games on the PS2, and could not stand using those anolog sticks for looking around. The "aiming" feature is nothing when compared to the standard mouse aiming you get on a computer.

I'm glad I own those two games for PC, and can enjoy all the Gamecube games I love.

And ditto for Eternal Darkness. A guy at EB even told me about a couple of the effects that messed with you, and they still]/i] messed with me when I saw them. It's also a great buy, because it wasn't a very popular game and it's pretty "old" now, so it's cheap.

#193187 - 12/12/2003 18:36 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: RobotCaleb]
tman
carpal tunnel

You could probably do it in the BIOS actually. They've already got an in-game reset feature so they must be able to hook into the controller input stream. Ask the Xecuter people nicely

#193188 - 12/12/2003 18:58 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: tman]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
true. but its still pointless, unless you want to use digital buttons to replace the analog face buttons. which is possible, as not many games actually take advantage of the analog face buttons

#193189 - 13/12/2003 06:50 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: robricc]
fishmonger
stranger

Loc: /home/fish
In reply to:

Posted by robricc
I have Xbox and my friend has PS2. I think the Xbox's graphics wreck the PS2's.

I've both an Xbox and a PS2, and I'd agree with robricc on this. If there's an Xbox version of a game, I always pick that one up over the PS2 version. Just look at the two versions of Splinter Cell, and you'll see what I mean.

I've modded my Xbox, and I've got to say, I use it more now to stream DVDs and music from my media server at home than I do to play games. I also have many, many Mame ROMs that I play on it quite regularly. The downside is that the PS2 still has *some* games you can't get on the Xbox - like Grand Turismo. That game was the reason I bought a PS2 in the first place.

Anyway, al the rambling aside, I'd get an Xbox if I had to choose just one.

#193190 - 13/12/2003 09:51 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: fishmonger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I've only recently played an Xbox for a decent amount of time, and, as such, my views are based on a few games, but I've noticed framerate problems on the Xbox that I've never seen on any other console. I don't know if it's poor programming or what, but I've never seen games stutter on any other console.

BTW, you guys did it. I bought a GC last night. Too bad the controller cable is so short.

#193191 - 13/12/2003 11:12 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Too bad the controller cable is so short.
I think Nintendo did that just to ensure you look at the WaveBird controllers.

Honestly, take the hint, and grab one. I have 2 now, and hope to grab two more next time I see them on sale. I personally like the idea of releasing an awesome official wireless controller over the longer cords the XBox controllers come with. Sure, the XBox has wireless controllers by 3rd parties, but they don't come anywhere near the original controller in terms of feel.

#193192 - 13/12/2003 11:16 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: wfaulk]
DeadFire
addict

Although I don't use it myself, I hear many great things about the Wavebird wireless controller for the GC. A friend of mine has it, and when he drops by to play, he always brings it along. I've used it myself briefly, and haven't noticed any differences from the wired one as far as functionality goes. But then of course you have to replace batteries, although I don't know how often.

Or you could always order an extension cable.

#193193 - 13/12/2003 12:11 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: DeadFire]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Yeap, like i mentioned before. Get a wavebird or three. You won't know how you did without them before. Exactly like the original controller, only wireless. It's got great feel to it.

#193194 - 13/12/2003 12:21 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Too bad the controller cable is so short.
You can get fairly inexpensive extension cords for the GameCube controllers at lots of stores (Radio Shack included, in our case). We got a couple of those extension cords and are very happy with them. We also got a Wavebird recently, so that also really rocks.

The only thing about the wavebird is that it doesn't have vibration. But I turn off vibration in most games anyway because it bugs me. I seem to recall that Zelda Wind Waker actually uses vibration to signal the presence of some element, but I don't remember what.

#193195 - 13/12/2003 13:14 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Not often, and they're only AA's, but I still got a 3rd party battery pack for my wavebird. Now, every so often, I just plug the AC adapter chord into the back of my wavebird and let it charge over night. The box it came with claims 12 continuous hours of use from it, and while I haven't played that long at one time, I'd say it more than matches that figure on non-consecutive plays.

The Wavebird is the best thing to happen to video games in a long time.

#193196 - 13/12/2003 15:12 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: Dignan]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I've wanted one of those wavebirds for a long time, but I just can't get over the lack of rumble... I understand their reasoning for leaving it out, but I wish it was a switch or something. For those of you that picked up the Zelda collection, it is actually very handy for Ocarina of Time.

One point I didn't see brought up was the size of the GameCube's storage medium. That little 1.5 GB disc is very limiting. Sadly some of the multi-platform games suffer from it and some games just plain won't be ported to it. Still... You'll have to pry my little purple cube from my cold, dead fingers.

#193197 - 14/12/2003 09:06 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I already did. It rocks. It's not even heavy, and it never seems to miss a command. I don't think I'll miss the rumble, but for games that need it for some reason, I've still got the original controller, for which I've also purchased an extension, but I'm talking back to get a longer cheaper one.

Still, my couch is no more than six feet away from my TV and GC, and it's too short to reach there. It's just embarrassingly short. The XBox that a friend of mine just got came with a controller whose cable must be at least twice as long.

#193198 - 14/12/2003 11:57 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: wfaulk]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
perhaps you meant 'taking back'

#193199 - 14/12/2003 17:02 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: RobotCaleb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Wow. And I left out ``it''.

That is, in fact, what I meant.

#193200 - 15/12/2003 07:48 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: loren]
phi144
enthusiast

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Well,

I had to go with the GC. I ordered one over the weekend. It came with the Zelda bundle. I should get it tomorrow or Wednesday. It's going to be hard waiting for Christmas!

Thanks for everyone's input. It seems all systems have good points. It's a matter of what's important to each person. I was looking for a fun gaming system which would suit everyone in the family. Graphics were also a big issue. GC seems to have a some great graphics. Also, you can't beat the price. I know XBox's are better from what people have said but the playablity of the GC seemed to be better. When I looked at Xbox's site every game reminded me of games I could play on a PC. PS2 I have played a little in the past and wasn't overly impressed. Thats just me. Long story short, I went with the GC.

Edited by phi144 (15/12/2003 07:52)

#193201 - 15/12/2003 08:06 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: phi144]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ooh! I forgot about the Zelda bundle. I wish I had gotten that with my system. I got the bundle that came with a preorder of Wind Waker, but that was just Ocarina of Time and "Master Quest" (Ocarina of Time with the dungeons changed around).

As far as I understand, this bundle is Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, AND the first two Zelda games. Is that correct? That's just killer.

#193202 - 15/12/2003 08:23 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: Dignan]
phi144
enthusiast

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
The bundle came with The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II - The adventure of Link, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Also includes a playable demo of the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, the Zelda Retrospective Movie, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Movie preview.

Here's a link...

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/shops/createabundle/gc/default.asp

Edited by phi144 (15/12/2003 08:25)

#193203 - 15/12/2003 08:25 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Yeah. Zelda is one of the few games that I've played on the GC. It's excellent in my opinion and shows that when Nintendo do it right then they do it brilliantly.

Each to his own really when regarding console choices. It's like a religious choice or something. Some pople like this and some people like that. Just don't ever put down another console!

One thing though. I've got to ask again but what the heck is that green worm leaping thing? I've read the posts in the avatar thread but still....

#193204 - 15/12/2003 08:36 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Maybe it's just me, but I've always been less than impressed with the Zelda games and the 20 minute demo of the new one that I got really left me cold. Maybe I just don't get it.

Note that I'm not a big fan of shoot-em-ups, either, so it's not that there's not enough action.

#193205 - 15/12/2003 09:20 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, like Trevor said, to each his own. The Zelda games just aren't your style. I can't stand first person shooters as an entire genre, so there's a whole genre that doesn't work for me.

I will say that you should give Link to the Past a shot if you haven't before (the Zelda game that came out for SNES). It's still by far my favorite Zelda game, and so much fun I can't stand it. I'd say it's probably my second favorite game ever.

Oh, and Trevor, click here

#193206 - 15/12/2003 10:56 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

The first Zelda game I played was around a friends house. He had a Japanese SNES and had a Japanese copy of Zelda as well. We got surprisingly far considering we didn't understand what anybody was telling us!

I've read that thread before. But you are right, it is oddly amusing for some reason and rereading the posts in the thread were really funny

#193207 - 15/12/2003 11:33 Re: Video Game Console Opinion [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ways to get the new Zelda Disc

I subscribed to Nintendo Power, since I didn't have an interest in buying two of the eligible games on the list. Showed up last week, and I am now slowly working my way through Majoras Mask, since I never did beat it on the N64.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3