Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19380 - 03/10/2000 12:46 Docking ethernet idea
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I was thinking about a way to dock the ethernet on the empeg and wondered if it would be possible to use the lines designated for the tuner. Of course this would void your warranty, but if you don't need the tuner there should be enough lines there to do it. Also it may not be up to spec. but may work. Anyone have any insight into this?

It could even be possible in a future model that there would be a switch on the back to select between radio and networking. Just something I was thinking about. Let me know what you think.

-Finally received my Mark2 no thanks to customs.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#19381 - 03/10/2000 22:34 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: bmihulka]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was thinking along similar lines recently.

You need four conductors to do ethernet. These conductors should be in two twisted pairs for as much of their lengths as possible. Some kind of a wiring hack might work since the cable runs in the car would be very short and not particularly bandwidth-intensive.

Modifying some of the existing pins (for instance, radio and/or serial lines) to do the ethernet might be feasible, but it would require soldering inside the Empeg itself as well as on the back of the docking sleeve. You would have to choose which pins to use very carefully. Crosstalk and interference will be a bitch with all the other stuff going on back there.

#19382 - 03/10/2000 23:13 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: tfabris]
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
Ethernet while docked would be sweet in San Diego where there is now 128k Metricom Ricochet wireless service. Works fine with Linux via serial.

#19383 - 03/10/2000 23:51 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: Kit]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Ethernet while docked would be sweet in San Diego where there is now 128k Metricom Ricochet wireless service. Works fine with Linux via serial.

Confused - if it's via serial then why are you asking for a docked Ethernet port? Serial is already docked.

Borislav

#19384 - 04/10/2000 01:45 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: Kit]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Probably beacause serial is slower.

TommyE

#19385 - 04/10/2000 11:07 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: tfabris]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Those are some of the questions I had. The radio connector has five wires inaddition to ground and power so it should be possible. I wonder if it will have any effect on the audio signal. If I do decide to try this out I'll be sure to let everyone know how it went. That will then give me a reason to try and add the backlights to the buttons that I have sitting around.

-Finally received my Mark2 no thanks to customs.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#19386 - 12/10/2000 14:13 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: bmihulka]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

I was thinking of trying to do something like what Brian's got pictures of... except in my car. My current limiting factors are no empeg (soon) and no car (got hit recently so I'm shopping now).

If this works, then I plan to mount an RJ45 jack in the dash for easy access. This would make it easy to transfer files from my laptop in the car.

--The Amigo

#19387 - 14/10/2000 13:42 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: TheAmigo]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
I am a little bit at a loss to think of a reason why I would want ethernet connectivity inside the car. Well, I can think of a few things but nothing really ... compelling.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19388 - 14/10/2000 13:52 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: EngelenH]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Well, thinking a little more about it ...

I suppose you could do something with one of those wireless base-stations or something to that effect. I don't know, wireless is still somewhat hard to get here unless you order it online or something. Still even with wireless I am not sure about applications for it. The main reason for that being the sled-concept that holds the empeg. It's just as easy and far cheaper to just pull the empeg from the car once you are on your home/work destination. Now if the unit was fixed (i.e. not removable from the car) I could understand a desire for connectivity to your home/work network. But as it is ? I know I am not ever in a million years going to leave mine in the car (when at home / work). They can steal the car if they want to but they will have to pry my empeg from my dead hand . (call this the company-car effect )

I guess to make a long story, WHY?

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19389 - 17/10/2000 05:27 Re: Docking ethernet idea [Re: EngelenH]
anti

Loc: BaWue, Germany, Europe
Why?

Just a few possibilities:
1. Wireless Bridge.
2. Sync (onboard) with notebook.
3. Put an extra sled in your desktop. Just put the empeg in and don't worry about cables anymore.

(I'll do #3 as soon as I get a spare sled.)