Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#196220 - 07/01/2004 18:06 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> and I have little doubt that you are the pussy ass faggot you portray yourself as.

Oh yeah we forgot homophobe too; you have certainly shown enough of that as well as well as the aforementioned racist, misogynistic and redneck white trash tendencies.

#196221 - 07/01/2004 18:10 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: Jerz]
ninti
old hand

> Don't watch so much television you really shouldn't believe everything you see and hear.

Please note where I say that I have been there, and let me add I have cousins in Texas and Arkansas and have visited them several times, and I did not enjoy it. Perhaps you haven't seen it, but lord knows I have.

#196222 - 07/01/2004 18:18 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ninti]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Damn... never considered Texas and Arkansas as being a part of "the South". I personally have never been to either place.

#196223 - 07/01/2004 18:41 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: Jerz]
ninti
old hand

> Damn... never considered Texas and Arkansas as being a part of "the South". I personally have never been to either place.

You don't? Well, they are both are...um...south. And they both joined the confedracy in the civil war. Is there another definition you have that would leave them out of it?

#196224 - 07/01/2004 19:09 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ]
m6400

Loc: Erie, PA
[censored] says:
GWB because he can kill more sandniggers than a carbon rod

ithoughti says:
ok, I'm all for free speech, and I have mostly supported [censored]'s right to voice his views, but this is a bit too much.

Please, try to refrain from this type of stuff. It brings down the community. You are a smart guy, and I'm sure you can understand. I'm also sure that you can find more creative ways to insult people.

thanks

[censored] says:
yeah, you're right. I suppose it's a harsh word. I'm just glad that GWB is willing to bring the fight to these extremists and take out the world's trash.

EDIT: damn, that does sound like Hitler, doesn't it? Well... to clarify, as racist as I may come off as, I'm not for killing all the muslims or all the light brown people. Just the people who declare war on America and our allies, and most of which just happen to be middle east ragheads.

I'm having a hard time understanding why this branch of the discussion has continued past this point. Furthermore many of you have treated [censored] much worse than he has ever treated any of you. His post are sometimes offensive, but when they are they are so mearly for the sake of being offensive. I would have thought that most of you would be mature enough to see that. Unfortunatly most of you seem to actualy mean the incredibly cruel things you say to him.

Running through the list, and I am going to try to get everyone here so as not to pick on anyone in particular:

bxgurl:
[censored] YOU, YOU ILL MANNERED REDNECK WHITE TRASH PIECE OF [censored]!

Aww. Widdle Paulie harbors some resentment towards those of us who can get laid without resorting to relatives, livestock, or cash payments.

wfaulk:
Why has this adolescent jerk not been banned, again?

It's unforgiveab(le)

visuvius:
what a worthless human being you are. a serious waste of life. the world would be a better place with, and people like you gone. i truly believe it would.

ninti:
I have said it before; he sounds like he has serious mental problems. He has shown obvious signs of both paranoid schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Paranoid delusions, extreme mood swings, periods of hyperactivity and depression and periods of relative normalcy, a grandiose sense of identity, pugnacious behaviour, lack of good judgement and empathy and understanding of others. And this is just what we have seen here, I would hate to be in the same house/workplace with him. He is young yet, most mental disorders only get worse with age if left untreated.

Oh yeah we forgot homophobe too; you have certainly shown enough of that as well as well as the aforementioned racist, misogynistic and redneck white trash tendencies.

What a nice mature loving community we have.

Oh and:
Have you been to to the South? Trust me, I have met people with identical opinions down there. I have little doubt he is exactly the kind of bastard he portrays himself as.

ninti, you seriously need to withdraw that statment. I'm from The South, and so are plenty of other people on this board. It is nothing like you describe and it is just plain wrong to ascribe blanket statments such as that to people of a certian reigon. Akin to calling middle eastern people "ragheads" or assuming that they are all Musslims or that all Musslims want to kill people and destroy america.

Congradulations, [censored] played you like a fiddle and brought you down to his level. Thing is, I don't think he ment a word of what he said, but you seem to mean every bit of it.

See, I used to play this game with my younger sister all the time when we were young. I knew all the buttons to push to make her react in any way I wanted. And it was an immature power trip, but I grew out of it as I got older. But I've never let anyone have power over me the way I did over her. I choose the words I put down on this board. I don't "react" to other people's (whoever they may be) inflamatory comments. He only puts his bait out because you take it.

I think [censored] occasionaly has some good ideas. When he really tries he presents them in a mature and logical manner. On that basis I consider him to be a valuable assit to this board. I would miss him sorly if he was banned or left of his own accord. I don't enjoy his obcinities or general rudeness. However I think that when these are met with in a mature manner (such as ithoughti) then [censored] usualy sees the error of his ways. (As evidanced by his responce, dispite the use of the term "raghead".)

Honestly, I think it is entirly possable for us to help [censored] be a better person. Not only do I think we can but I think it would be a totaly worthwhile endevor.

So what is the purpose of this post other than to possably make everyone hate me as well?

To end this stupid tangent of this thread that (as I said in the begining) should have never made it past 3 posts.

How? Well, [censored] I hope I'm right when I think you are not such a bad person as you make yourself out to be. I think you do need to be the first to appologize. Your original opinion:
I'm just glad that GWB is willing to bring the fight to these extremists and take out the world's trash.

Is still very valid and does not need to be apologized for. However you do need to apologize for the inflamatory words you used and for contenuing to bait people (even if they were stupid enough to take the bait.) Furthermore your apology needs to stand even if some people refuse to accept it. I'm sure that many people on here belive you would never do any thing of the sort, but I am sticking my neck out here for you because I think you can prove them wrong.

Second, all of you that insulted [censored] should apologize to him. Nobody deserves to be talked to that way. And many of you need to apologize to the board in general for feeding the flames that, in his second post, [censored] was willing to let die.

Now, I realize that I've probably just made alot of enemies. I also realize that I'm probably not going to get everything I want. So be it.

#196225 - 07/01/2004 19:35 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: m6400]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
word.

#196226 - 07/01/2004 19:46 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Side note: In the past, his prior user name was banned because of a PHP exploit attempt on the BBS code, not because of his language or views.

Nah, you're thinking of someone else. I was banned for "empegbot", remember? I do recall you mentioning once that only two people have ever been banned here -- me and the php guy.

As for all the allegations of name-calling, racism, etc.... Why don't you scroll up and see who started the personal name calling? I guess it's okay for ninti or anyone else to make a blanket statement about people from the south because it's a politically correct insult. But as soon as someone mentions anything about anyone who's not a straight white male, all the libs start getting their panties in a wad. The fact of the matter is the terrorists are hairy, yellow-skinned, allah-praising, barbarians with towels on their heads. That is a fact. I don't give a shit if it doesn't fit in with the politically correct liberal world view of the evil republican christians. I want to see all the jihading ragheads die. That is also a fact. If you don't like it, then that's okay with me. I don't particularly like the fact that ninti smokes poles, but it doesn't bother me either. I'm not going to call for him to be banned for his words or opinion. But it seems like some people think it's perfectly okay to make derogatory statements about rednecks or people from a certain region of the world such as the southern United States, but as soon as someone calls a Saudi a ragheaded sandnigger terrorist or call a heterophobe a fag, it's suddenly unbearably offensive. Yet they don't receive the "troll" title as well. Yes, I do occasionally enjoy personal name-calling, but 95% of the time it's in response to someone else's insults. If you don't like demeaning terms such as raghead to be used, even if it's not directed to an individual, it doesn't help your case by calling southerners rednecks or by telling someone to go fuck themselves. Don't get me wrong -- this doesn't bother me, but if you want to call names, don't expect other people not to.

I think customsex was right. Some insults are politically correct and therefore are deemed okay. You can insult the racist, ignorant redneck all you want. It's cool. But God forbid you insult any of the privledged people guarded under the PC umbrella like fags and arabs. Call me a stupid southerner all you want, but don't in the same breath call me a troll. I'm not the only troll here!

#196227 - 07/01/2004 19:49 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: tonyc]
speedy67
enthusiast

Loc: South-West-Germany
But when he crosses into religious and ethnic slurs and personal attacks, it's no longer about an open debate of ideas, it's about attacking cultures, races, and individual BBS members

I think, the offending posts are never a debate of ideas, his "more creative" posts sometimes are. But do you really think, words like "sandniggers, ragheads" or similar words are attacking cultures, races or even BBS-members? Perhaps i have an other level of feeling offended, i don't know if it's me in person or because i belong to an other culture, but it takes a lot to make me feel attacked just by words. Words typed by someone i don't know personally. Would be something different, if those words came from someone i met and know at least a little bit.

If he doesn't draw a reaction, he keeps reeling off more and more inflammatory comments until someone snaps. Once the thread is poisoned with responses to his trolling, he loses interest and moves on

good point, but this shows for me the fact, that he's trolling for being a troll, and not to hit someone special. He flames the one who snapped.

For instance, we have had good political debates in some of the threads here recently completely derailed by this. You say you laugh at it and ignore it

don't get me wrong. I don't laugh about the ones who react, it's just the obviousness of his comments, which make me laugh, or sometimes make me think "Ohh no, Yz, not so often..."

He sees this somehow as his job on the BBS,

Right, and we should be glad we have only him. I don't know any other Board without many trolls, and even ignore-features or banning will help them out. I also saw a good german car-related board go down, because the only things to read about were about the "bad guys"
I don't want to say he's doing a good job, i just want to calm down everybody a little bit.

Maybe you're okay with it, and get a chuckle out of it, but he's attacking a resource (this forum) that a lot of us really enjoy, and that's why we get pissed off.

No, you didn't get me right. I'm not OK with it, but i can (for me) deal with it. Don't think of me sitting here laughing loud about "sandniggers" I don't even chuckle.
As i have said before, i love this community and i give it the title "best community on the whole web" anytime someone asks me what the hell i'm doing in front of my computer for hours and hours. And i can fully understand, why you are pissed off. I am, too, only not as worse...

Thomas

#196228 - 07/01/2004 19:57 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: tfabris]
speedy67
enthusiast

And may I note that this community currently has only the one troll. And that prior to his arrival, it had none.

Your totally right, Tony, but as i said just before, this is a damn good troll-rate for an internet-BBS

Side note: In the past, his prior user name was banned because of a PHP exploit attempt on the BBS code, not because of his language or views

I know this, but newer calls to ban him again are about his language.

cheers, Thomas

#196229 - 07/01/2004 20:05 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: m6400]
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow, I have to agree with Loren. word.

Sometimes when talking about politics like this, it's just so easy to get carried away. Especially when you're in the minority and nobody will listen to what you have to say anyway. It's just so easy to say the magic words, like "sandnigger", and watch them piss their pants. I apologize for straying off of a mature and intelligent debate about carbon rods.

#196230 - 07/01/2004 20:05 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Nah, you're thinking of someone else. I was banned for "empegbot", remember? I do recall you mentioning once that only two people have ever been banned here -- me and the php guy.
You're right. Sorry about the mistake. I remembered it was because of some sort of coding exploit, but I clearly got the details wrong.

#196231 - 07/01/2004 20:07 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: speedy67]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Perhaps i have an other level of feeling offended, i don't know if it's me in person or because i belong to an other culture, but it takes a lot to make me feel attacked just by words. Words typed by someone i don't know personally. Would be something different, if those words came from someone i met and know at least a little bit.

i had pretty much this same thought typed up, but i closed it before i posted. it wasnt stated in as nice language as you have managed to.

i feel that, if someone is truely offended by words used on this board, speak up. but... only do so if they hit home to you. 'mommy, that man said ass.'
if you are a 'raghead' or a 'gook' (i use the terms as they were presented by others. as a personal thing, i never use derogatory words of racism except against myself) and you take offense to being called such, speak up. if you are not the one being talked about, or you dont feel as if you could be who he is talking about, let it go. look what this has turned into.

#196232 - 07/01/2004 20:12 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: m6400]
ninti
old hand

> What a nice mature loving community we have.

I don't really want to get into your post too much because it is a one sided diatribe and it is really has no basis in any kind of reality. You neglected to mention EVERYTHING else he said, and all his history of offending people here.

All I do have to say is that people get what people ask for. He asks for this, he gets it. No one else asks for it, no one else gets it. We do have a nice community, and he ruins it on a regular basis

> nti, you seriously need to withdraw that statment.

It was not a blanket statement. Some people say they couldn't believe people could be like him. I said they can, and I have met many people in his neck of the woods who did. Never did I say, or even imply, they were all racist. Yes I believe that more people there have racist views than in other parts of the country, and I back that up with personal experience, and facts. Segregation in the south happened up until 40 years ago, to say that racism is not more prelevant there is silly. But even disregarding that, comparing that to calling an entire race of people niggars and ragheads is stupid. You should be ashamed for trying to make a comparison there, it is a complete non sequiter.

> I don't think he ment a word of what he said

Why do people keep saying that? He has made his meaning clear for years now, this is not an act, though it may be an exaggeration. His is what you see here, and how you can defend him is beyond me.

#196233 - 07/01/2004 20:14 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: m6400]
speedy67
enthusiast

m6400, my thoughts in other words...

Thomas

#196234 - 07/01/2004 20:20 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ninti]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
You don't? Well, they are both are...um...south.

And Florida is even further South than Georgia but you may as well call it NY or NJ.

Texas is way too close to Mexico to be considered "the South" IMHO.

Seriously, as shown here the "South" is definately debateable. I imagine if I didn't live here I *might* be as stereotypical as you. But since I do...

#196235 - 07/01/2004 20:25 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ninti]
Anonymous
Unregistered

ninti, bxgurl and anyone else, sorry for my choice of words, and I will really try to use more considerate and mature terms in the future. Let's all try to end the name-calling on both sides including myself, and I will try to be more thoughtful of other people in what I say. I don't want to hurt anyone on here even when I totally disagree with them on something. I admit I do get some sort of sick enjoyment out of pissing some people off.

Edited by d33zY (07/01/2004 20:30)

#196236 - 07/01/2004 20:30 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: tonyc]
speedy67
enthusiast

Just a final question, neither google nor my translator-page gives me a hint:
what means "The Inanimate Carbon Rod" ?

cheers, Thomas

#196237 - 07/01/2004 20:33 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: speedy67]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe it's a Simpsons reference, where each employee of Homer's workplace had gotten a turn to be Employee of the Month, if I remember correctly. And when Homer was overdue for his turn, they decided to give the award to an inanimate carbon rod instead.

#196238 - 07/01/2004 20:39 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ]
speedy67
enthusiast

OK, thanks, now i got it...

cheers, Thomas

#196239 - 07/01/2004 20:45 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: peter]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Your personal majority opinion, of course.
Er, um, not really, I was going by a straw count of the opinions expressed every few weeks when this flares up again. If you're trying to paint me as someone who thinks his opinion represents the majority on its own, please look elsewhere. I only speak for myself, if that.

#196240 - 07/01/2004 21:04 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: m6400]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I cannot disagree more. (Sorry, Loren.)

I will tolerate him and appreciate him when he makes useful comments (which does happen occasionally), but casting aspersions on an entire race of people remains unforgiveable.

#196241 - 07/01/2004 21:08 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ninti]
Folsom

Loc: Atlanta
One thing about segregation: I came down from Chicago to Atlanta, and I think Chicago is way more segregated than Atlanta. Atlanta is much more mixed than Chicago could ever hope to be.

Atlanta may not be typical south, but the north can be as segregated as any place in the south.

#196242 - 07/01/2004 21:12 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

casting aspersions on an entire race of people remains unforgiveable.

So you must be unforgiving towards the millions of people around the world who hate America?

#196243 - 07/01/2004 21:26 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The problem I have is not just with the insults themselves, it's the fact that you can't see any gray areas that most other people (and not just liberals) see. I'll point out just a few from this one post:

The fact of the matter is the terrorists are hairy, yellow-skinned, allah-praising, barbarians with towels on their heads.
All of the terrorists? What about the terrorists in Northern Ireland? How about Columbia? Or maybe The Philippines? Oh wait, how about Spain? Or how about this group of terrorists who just happen to operate in our very own country?

Your narrow view of the world on television only shows you the terrorism stories that are sexy in response to the September 11th tragedies -- terrorism happens all over the world, it just so happens that the "ragheads" attacked your country and mine.

Secondly, it's not like being an Arab or Muslim makes you a terrorist. Your black-and-white view says that if your skin is brown, you've got a beard and a turban, you're absolutely 100% a terrorist. Are way too many Arabs terrorists? Yes, way too many of them are. But to paint everyone with the same brush is doing what the terrorists do to us. They see all Americans as evil, manipulative, imperialists that just want to take their oil. Are some of us that way? Sure. Are we all? No. IT WORKS BOTH WAYS.
I want to see all the jihading ragheads die
Take out the raghead reference and I couldn't agree with you more. I am all in favor of immediate death to anyone who sees attacking America as a way to be a martyr and do their religon proud. I'd push the button for the electric chair for anyone who assisted in the Sept 11th hijackings, or organized any kind of terrorism against America or our allies. I think you and I can agree on that, right? Where you and I differ is that you see an Arab as a "jihading raghead" and I see an Arab as an Arab. I see way too many Arabs involved in terrorism, but I don't assume they're all the same. You do. THAT is the fundamental problem I have with your tirades.

but 95% of the time it's in response to someone else's insults
Comlpete and utter horseshit and you know it. This all started with sandniggers. A vast majority of the other similar flame wars start with you. You're NOT always the first guy who says something controversial, but you are almost ALWAYS the one who takes it from being about the issue to being about the other person, or you bring in the same kind of ethnic slurs, or belittle someone else for being a liberal.

My poll was satire, a comparison to the other thread which has all the Democratic nominees. Since GWB has no opposition, I decided to make the Simpsons reference (my original idea was just to have one option being GWB.) Maybe there's a little bit of it that was attacking your guy, but you had to respond to that with sandniggers. Can't you like gradually work your way up to that?

I know you seem to feel like you're in the minority, but remember that political leaning quiz a bunch of us took a while back? Remember how many people were on the RIGHT? The funny thing is I don't see other conservatives rushing in to be with you on these topics. Probably because they realize there are gray areas. They don't see all Arabs as terrorists. They don't see all democrats as pinko liberal faggots, either. I can totally respect someone who disagrees with me, but I can't respect someone who not only disagrees but refuses to acknowledge any opinion but their own.

If you don't like demeaning terms such as raghead to be used, even if it's not directed to an individual, it doesn't help your case by calling southerners rednecks or by telling someone to go [censored] themselves.
I don't think that stuff was called for either, but it's a perfect example of what happens. You fire the first shot, and everyone else is so angry they fire back. If you didn't take the first shot all the time, nobody would be calling you a redneck.

Finally, I for one accept your apology, it shows a lot of class. I hope you really mean it and can work on keeping the insults out of your arguments. I think you've contributed some interesting opinions around here, I just really wish they weren't drowned out by the severe negativity and disdain towards anyone who's not exactly like you.

#196244 - 07/01/2004 22:35 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
So you must be unforgiving towards the millions of people around the world who hate America?
Yup. (Well, the ones who hate all Americans based on the actions of some, not necessarily the ones that hate America's policies. Hell, I fall into that camp a lot of the time, especially lately.) Nothing steamed me more than seeing those masses of Pakistanis celebrating in the streets on 9/11/2001. (<-hyperbole) I'm not a hypocrite (despite the conclusions other people have drawn based on my comments); I'm just a grudge-bearing asshole.

At the same time, I don't want to kill them just because they're misguided. If they instigated an attack or realistically planned to, that's reasonable cause, but just because they hate us is no reason to kill them.

#196245 - 07/01/2004 22:53 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
And seeing the mother-loving Bert with Bin-Laden was the last straw dammit! Evil, evil Bert.

So, was the guy playing the hobbit w/the pumpkin in the last Green Dragon scene Andy Serkis?

How's things at Fedex?

Flame wars are boring. Go home all of you!

Stumbles off to bed...

-Zeke

#196246 - 07/01/2004 23:14 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: m6400]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Second, all of you that insulted [censored] should apologize to him. Nobody deserves to be talked to that way.

Ahh, more fun with taking the high ground today. Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. If some one wants to act like a piece of shit, then they deserve to be treated like one.

Lemme give you some background as to why I'm so pissed off, and why I'm probably getting arrested when I go into work tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to type this out clearly.

Let's look at the avitar for a minute. Now who here suspected I had any middle eastern background from looking at that picture? Probably one maybe two people.

How many times a day to you think I hear something like raghead, sandnigger, or camel jockey said in my presence in an average day of dealing with the public, under the assumption that it's OK to say that in front of me because I'm obviously white, right?

Today I got to hear it from a representative of a corportaion who does business with my company. And myself and four other people who all stood there quietly for a few minutes, some of whom had that embarrased nervous look on here face where I continued the typical breathe deep and stare blankly reaction. Said [censored] then proceeds to make suggestions about a co-worker of mine who is an afghani, that I also happen to be very fond, of being a terrorist and an expert on bombing things. I really didn't even notice I'd punched him till he was already on the floor. Amazing how easy it is to knock someone over when they're not expecting to be hit. Was it wrong? Probably. Did it feel good? Hell yeah. Would I do it again? Most likely.

How often do you have to put up with that kind of [censored] in a day?

As for people with the who "all the american killed on september 11th" who seem so connected and personally attacked by something they were no where near or knew what it was like to live with every [censored] day, who seem to think we should go turn an entire region of the planet into green glass, I just plain don't get it.

Do you know where all your friends and relatives were that day?
How many funerals did you go to for your former co-workers?

I just don't comprehend the kill em all let god sort em out idea from people who didn't have to wake up smelling it every morning for weeks, looking over and seening something that's been out the window on the right your entire life not there any more. You weren't there sitting outside in my back yard watching it crumble waiting for the phone to ring to hear if someone's OK. Or even worse, the poor arab bastard trying to drive home that afternoon with a terrified look on his face and a small american flag wedged into his drivers window as if to say "please don't kill me, I like it here".

This is why I have issues with Paul, and others like him who think this is such a good thing (debatable) and it's great that we're over there, but won't put their money where their mouth is and enlist. Then their family can get the fun phone calls from someone who very well may be in a wooden box the next time they see them. But it's so much easier to sit on your ass and talk about how wonderful it is that "we went over to get em" from the comfort of your own sofa.

I hope I made some sense. I need my sleep. Tomorrow is gonna be loads of fun.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#196247 - 07/01/2004 23:31 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: ninti]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
No offense, I am certainly not saying everyone down there is like that, especially in the cities. But you have to admit there is a LOT more of that kind of attitude down there than anywhere else in this country.
I, personally, find THIS to be an extremely offensive statement. I live in the south, and was raised in the DEEP south. I currently live in a large city, but I have also lived in much more rural areas. I would say, in my experience, that racism is FAR worse in an urban area than in any rural one.

For the record, I'm a WASP. (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) All my life, I've had friends of different races. Until I moved to New Orleans. Here, the blacks want nothing to do with the whites, as a rule. I have a few black friends, but most of them are co-workers and we were able to develop a friendship over time. Never in my life have I been exposed to racism such as this.

On another note, racism is alive and well in the North and West. Chicago, LA, and New York all have serious gang related problems. Ever noticed that gangs are often one race hating the other? One of the issues that mankind needs to overcome is the fact that as a rule, people tend to feel more comfortable around other people that look and act like them. This can be seen everywhere. I mean, why does chinatown even exist? Do you think there was a law that said only orientals may inhabit this part of town? Of course not. It just sort of grew that way. Or litle Italy, for another example. It's not necessarily a bad thing inherently, it's just the way people work. Do I live in a predominantly white neighborhood? Yes. Do I live in an exclusive white neighborhood? No. Do I wish I did? No. Would I like to live in a predominantly black neighborhood? No. Why? I really can't say. I'm just more comfortable where I am.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all this, it's just that something as complex as racism cannot be simply "fixed". I do NOT, however, feel that it is a regional problem, as many have stated. I do feel that southerners take a bad rap simply based on what occured 150 years ago. Granted, much of that history ended only fifty or so years ago, but that is STILL much greater than my lifetime. And yes, thre are places in the south that are still stuck in the 50's socially, but not as many as some would have us believe.

On a last note, one of my two best friends in college was in an interracial relationship for 3.5 years. This was in a small town in Alabama. (You know, part of the "deep south" that people are so fond of making fun of) Did he ever have a problem with people accepting his relationship as anything other than natural? No. He DID, however, when he took her to Jersey (where he was from).

#196248 - 07/01/2004 23:42 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: lectric]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
In response to Heather, slandering another ethnic group is NEVER a good thing. I honestly can't believe people in the corporate world could possibly ever think it's an acceptable thing to do/say. Regardless of a persons personal feelings, saying something like that to a business associate is not only offensive, it's just plain stupid. I mean, what's the point? The only thing it could possibly do is alienate someone or completely bite you in the ass and cost you your job. Where I work, making a racist comment like that guy did would certainly cost him his job. Immediately. And the higher up the ladder the person was, the faster they'd escort him to the door.

#196249 - 08/01/2004 00:36 Re: Republicans, please cast your votes [Re: Heather]
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is why I have issues with Paul, and others like him who think this is such a good thing (debatable) and it's great that we're over there, but won't put their money where their mouth is and enlist.

Don't worry. I can't wait to go kill me some terrorists. Yeehaw!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >