Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#198626 - 13/01/2007 13:03 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Thanks Tom. Here's the empeg kernel I got during one of the times the unit was able to boot (obviously).

Okay, this one was with the animation "removed". But it's really still there -- removal just means blanking out the animation "signature": 'ANIM' at the end of the file you posted. I put those chars back, and it boots and runs for me (with or without the ANIM).

The kernel in there is the special one that ignores the user-supplied animation, so I next replaced it with stock Hijack v466, and now it boots and plays the animation quite reliably.

So.. there is a hardware problem somewhere.

Cheers

#198627 - 13/01/2007 13:34 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Thanks. Fundamentally it makes sense that there is a hardware problem, it's just weird that it works correctly with the stock kernel and that it takes the Hijack kernel to uncover the hardware problem. Certainly there is something different about this player from others as I've never seen one that wouldn't run Hijack.

Thanks again,
Stu

#198628 - 13/01/2007 14:05 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Mind you, I only have Mk2A units to test with here, no Mk2 units.

#198629 - 13/01/2007 14:17 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Here's a special kernel to help debug this (maybe).

http://rtr.ca/v466+.zImage

Just capture the boot log and post it here.

Thanks.

#198630 - 13/01/2007 18:46 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Did you want a bootlog with a successful boot or unsuccessful? So far all I can get is unsuccessful which is attached. If I can ever get it to boot with Hijack I will post a bootlog from it.

Thanks,
Stu

Attachments
293107-no_bootlog.txt (190 downloads)

#198631 - 13/01/2007 18:51 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Here's one with a no boot immediately followed by a good boot which I now see is what you wanted.

Thanks,
Stu

Attachments
293108-no_bootlog.txt (244 downloads)

#198632 - 13/01/2007 20:29 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Okay, same drill again, but with this kernel:

http://rtr.ca/v466++.zImage

Cheers

#198633 - 14/01/2007 15:01 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I was unable to get the unit to boot after 20 some odd attempts, but here is the output without boot.

Thanks,
Stu

Attachments
293129-no_bootlog.txt (197 downloads)

#198634 - 15/01/2007 02:16 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I was unable to get the unit to boot after 20 some odd attempts, but here is the output without boot.

DEBUG: empeg_state_restore: loop a=5

DEBUG: empeg_state_restore: done a=5

DEBUG: empeg_state_restore: exit

DEBUG: done empeg_state_restore(), failed=0

DEBUG: calling hijack_read_tuner_id()

Mmm.. that's interesting. It shouldn't be getting stuck *there* !
Does it appear to *always* die at roughly the same spot, hijack_read_tuner_id() ?

If so, then here's the next one to try:

http://rtr.ca/v466+++.zImage

Cheers

#198635 - 15/01/2007 13:30 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks for your continued interest in this. Yes it stalled at the same point every time. Let me run this new Hijack and see what we get.

Stu

#198636 - 15/01/2007 14:49 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Here is an unsuccessful boot log. It runs without end, so I posted a portion of it.

Thanks,
Stu

Attachments
293152-no_bootlog.txt (239 downloads)

#198637 - 15/01/2007 14:50 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Here is a successful boot log. Both are with the newest Hijack you posted.

Thanks,
Stu

Attachments
293153-good_bootlog.txt (211 downloads)

#198638 - 15/01/2007 20:31 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Here is a successful boot log. Both are with the newest Hijack you posted.

Thanks,
Stu

Okay, when it fails, it's because it sees an endless stream of "data" coming in over the tuner serial port. Which is somewhat peculiar.

The failed boot appears to have happened while "docked", right?

Do you recall if the "successful" boot was also from a home dock" ?

Here's a kernel that should fix it, by putting an upper bound on how long we're willing to listen to the "tuner" sending us serial data:

http://rtr.ca/v467pre.zImage

Let me know what happens.. if it boots up, then reinstall the animation and verify that all is working again. I'll then release that as Hijack v467.

Cheers

#198639 - 15/01/2007 23:17 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I'll try the new Hijack, but no the unit was running straight from the AC jack on the back- no dock for either good or bad boot. I'll report what happens though.

Many thanks,
Stu

#198640 - 15/01/2007 23:32 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

It seems to boot reliably now (at least so far) but AC/DC detection is still iffy. Running from the docking connectors on back, It wants to stay on AC most of the time from a hard reset. If I tell Hijack to reboot for normal operation, it seems to detect correctly. Anything separate from this in Hijack that would prevent proper detection of power source?

Thanks,
Stu

#198641 - 16/01/2007 13:39 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It seems to boot reliably now (at least so far) but AC/DC detection is still iffy. Running from the docking connectors on back, It wants to stay on AC most of the time from a hard reset. If I tell Hijack to reboot for normal operation, it seems to detect correctly. Anything separate from this in Hijack that would prevent proper detection of power source?

Thanks,
Stu

Okay, at least now we're back to debugging the hardware again.

There's something *really noisy* on the tuner serial port signals. Maybe there's a short in/near the docking connector, or perhaps the line-driver chip for the tuner serial port is fried/flakey.

I think it's quite likely that the same problem is also what is causing the AC/DC detection to flake out. So there's two paths for investigation now, and hopefully they'll lead to a common component or two on the board (?).

It would be useful (again) to see the boot logs for both success and failure now.

Cheers

#198642 - 17/01/2007 00:04 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I can no longer make it fail to boot, but I can give you a boot log with successful DC detection and without. The strange thing is even when Hijack thinks it's in AC mode, the boot log reads DC. I am wondering why the disconnect? The first one in this post is a successful boot with proper detection of DC and with DC behavior.

Thanks,
Stu

Attachments
293205-good_bootlog.txt (201 downloads)

#198643 - 17/01/2007 00:06 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Here is a "bad" boot with improper detection of DC. The boot log says DC on the second line and yet Hijack and the player behavior says AC.

Thanks again,
Stu

Attachments
293206-no_detect_bootlog.txt (187 downloads)

#198644 - 17/01/2007 03:44 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I can no longer make it fail to boot, but I can give you a boot log with successful DC detection and without. The strange thing is even when Hijack thinks it's in AC mode, the boot log reads DC. I am wondering why the disconnect?

That's simple: When it's on DC and Hijack thinks it's on AC, this happens because the home-dock loopback test succeeds, and the player has Hijack set to automatically pretend it's on AC whenever a dock is detected.

When it fails, it's probably the noisy tuner serial port that causes the failure (try with Hijack v467 to find out for sure), and thus the home-dock loopback test also fails.

Is the home-dock's loopback wire loose in the docking connector? If so, then that could explain all of this trouble..

Cheers

#198645 - 17/01/2007 03:48 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I can no longer make it fail to boot, but I can give you a boot log with successful DC detection and without. The strange thing is even when Hijack thinks it's in AC mode, the boot log reads DC. I am wondering why the disconnect?

That's simple: When it's on DC and Hijack thinks it's on AC, this happens because the home-dock loopback test succeeds

By the way.. if you really don't care about "home-dock" detection (via the tuner serial loopback wire), then you could go into the Hijack menu (long knob press), and change the Force AC/DC Power Mode setting to No-Loopback. It should then boot up in DC mode every time while docked.

But one should really try and figure out why the dock detection works sometimes, and fails other times due to noise on the loopback wire.

-ml

#198646 - 17/01/2007 11:35 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Quote:
Is the home-dock's loopback wire loose in the docking connector? If so, then that could explain all of this trouble..

I am using a special sled connector we set up for testing tuners and AC/DC detection. It only has one set of RCA outpus for the front, the tuner wiring, ignition sense and power with a female power jack on the end to accept an AC adapter. The noise you speak of must be internal to the player because when Hijack observed the noise, the connector was not being used and the player had the AC adapter directly plugged into it. By the way which wire is the loopback wire? I've not heard much about it.

Thanks again,
Stu

#198647 - 17/01/2007 12:40 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
which wire is the loopback wire? I've not heard much about it.

Pins 6 & 7 on the docking connector are the Tuner serial port signals. If you tie them together, then anything sent out from the player is looped back into the player. This is how home docks are wired so that Hijack can detect them and use AC power settings even when really on DC power.

Cheers

#198648 - 17/01/2007 12:53 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Makes sense. As an FYI, the player with the no loopback and original boot animation is operating fine now in all respects- save for the noise on the serial line.

Hopefully this excercise made your already great accessory even better! If I find something funny on the serial lines, I'll post it here.

Many thanks,
Stu

#198649 - 23/01/2007 01:50 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I went in to the player and tested the serial lines for shorts or loose connections. There were none to be found. Is it possible that the RS232 transceiver has a fault even if the other serial functions (loading firmware) work fine? We've replaced the tranceivers before, but there were more overt signs of malfunction than here.

Thanks,
Stu

#198650 - 23/01/2007 16:59 Re: Hijack preventing AC/DC Detection and Booting? [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I went in to the player and tested the serial lines for shorts or loose connections. There were none to be found. Is it possible that the RS232 transceiver has a fault even if the other serial functions (loading firmware) work fine? We've replaced the tranceivers before, but there were more overt signs of malfunction than here.

Yeah, it's using different gates of the transceiver than those needed for software loading (as we both know, this is the tuner serial port, not the back panel serial port). Could be a bad driver chip (kinda behaving like a internal driver short, isn't it?), or noise on the CPU side of the driver chip.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3