Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#198651 - 15/01/2004 05:08 Spam Harvester getting to the BBS?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I just received my first piece of spam to my [email protected] email address. It's not my first piece of spam -- I get about 20-30 a day to my other accounts in total, but it is the first to this address.

As far as I can remember, I've not used this address for anything other than this BBS.

Is someone harvesting addresses, or is it just that someone in the past has emailed me at that address (having seen it on this board), and something's harvested their address book?

#198652 - 15/01/2004 07:05 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Before I joined the BBS I hardly had any spam, since joining I get 30-40 spam emails a day. I've since modified my address in my profile.

Andy M

#198653 - 15/01/2004 10:30 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: andym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've been here for quite some time, and I only very recently started receiving obscene amounts of spam. And that's also after I adjusted my email in my profile.

It was really weird. In all the time I've had an email address, I've gotten about 4 to 6 spam mails a day. Then it seemed that one day I suddenly started getting 70 to 80 and sometimes 100. I check my email as often as possible during the day as a result, just so it's easier to sort through. I have some home made filters set up in OE, but I need something more. Like sufficient legislation

#198654 - 15/01/2004 10:42 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Then it seemed that one day I suddenly started getting 70 to 80 and sometimes 100.

I don't think that the rise in spam is directly linked to the BBS, more that, all of a sudden, spam just became a hell of a lot more prevalent.

It's just that this is the first time that the address I use on the BBS has received any spam.

For catching spam, I use SpamBayes on Outlook. It does a very good job of catching spam.

#198655 - 15/01/2004 10:45 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'll second SpamBayes. Great job.

#198656 - 15/01/2004 10:51 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: JBjorgen]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
This is the only forum or place online i've ever used my work email address unmodified. Mistake. I get 50+ spams a day now... and i'd modified my email address years ago.

#198657 - 15/01/2004 10:56 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh no, I was arguing that it wasn't this BBS that caused me to get spam. I was saying that my rise in spam was literally overnight! I'm talking 4 to 6 messages for 4 to 5 years, then BAM! 100 a day consistently for the past year. I'll definitely try that program, though!!

#198658 - 15/01/2004 11:01 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

I'll definitely try that program, though!!

The plugin only works with Outlook, not Outlook Express. For Outlook Express, you'll need to use one of the other solutions, like a POP/IMAP proxy.

They seem to be harder to train, though. The Outlook plugin just has a pair of buttons which you press whenever something gets misfiled: "Delete as Spam" and "Recover from Spam".

Incoming mail either stays in the Inbox, or ends up in "Junk Suspects" or "Junk E-Mail". These days (now that I've trained it) I never have to rescue anything from "Junk E-Mail". I sometimes have to rescue things from "Junk Suspects", still.

#198659 - 15/01/2004 11:30 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I use the (free) SBL and XBL blacklist service from Spamhaus and it is really, really good. In the first ten days of 2004 it blocked over 2,500 emails from our server. I also use www.blackholes.us (blocking China, Korea, Brazil, Argentina and Russia). That is also very effective - it blocked nearly a thousand in that period, yet it still let in an email from Hong Kong.

Gareth

#198660 - 15/01/2004 11:56 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ah crap. I don't use Outlook because I don't need all the other things it does. There's no other solution for OE? How do I go about using a proxy?

#198661 - 15/01/2004 12:00 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK

#198662 - 15/01/2004 12:21 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
This is probably my fourth or fifth shameless plug for Popfile on this BBS. It's a proxy-type solution with a very neat web interface that makes training less painful (though not as painless as clicking a button in Outlook.) My accuracy has hovered around 99.5% for about a year now.

#198663 - 15/01/2004 12:41 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: tonyc]
tman
carpal tunnel

SpamAssassin all the way IMO

#198664 - 15/01/2004 12:58 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Am I correct in my impression that the program is easy to use but difficult to set up? Here's some questions to get me started on my own system:

-what's this Python business?
-on the FAQ's high-level summary, is it saying that all those components are used, or just some of them, depending on what you do?
-how much does this alter my messages? It just adds a header, right? It isn't very visible, is it?

Really, I'm not sure at all how to set this up. Would someone be kind enough to explain how to set it up with this proxy component on a Win2K box?

#198665 - 15/01/2004 13:17 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Well, the actual outlook component itself is easy, i just installed it and trained it on some presorted mail in a matter of 3 minutes. Sweeeet. The proxy shouldn't be much harder to install... there are install instructions aren't there?

#198666 - 15/01/2004 13:28 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

But there doesn't appear to be an installer for anything other than the Outlook plugin. I downloaded the zip file, and there's a bunch of files that I don't know what to do with.

I think I may try PopFile instead. It's got an installer and very clear instructions. I'm sure I could get the other thing working, but the instructions on that page are either not clear, or the ones I need are mixed in with the overall FAQ. I'm not fond of that.

Thanks for the link, Tony (again, I remember you posting it before, but I'll give it a shot this time ).

#198667 - 15/01/2004 13:33 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
I do not get any spam at all (and I mean zero) on the address I use here, but it is a Yahoo account and they have some serious behind-the-scenes spam blocking stuff there. But even then you would expect some to slip through if I was getting any at all.

I use Spambayes at work with Outlook. It works pretty well, but I don't get enough spam there either to properly train it. I have passed it around to several other people here who get a lot more spam than I and they (mostly) all love it.

My primary Hotmail account used to get serious Spam, but they recently did something behind the scenes there to kill 90% of the spam as well. I get a fraction of what I used to.

#198668 - 15/01/2004 13:45 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Mozilla mail has a bayesian filter just like SpamBayes for Outlook. That is what I use for my personal mail, along with SpamAssasin on my server. Mozilla filters a good 95% of the seep-through spam.

At work (where I have to use Outlook) Spambayes is great.

#198669 - 15/01/2004 16:50 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: cushman]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Yeah, I'll second the mozilla mail solution (thunderbird). It has a very good learning, programmable junk mail filtering system built in, which I've found works well.

And as a former longtime OE user, the switchover was surprisingly painless.

Heres the dirt.

#198670 - 15/01/2004 16:54 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: fusto]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Mozilla will take over my database of emails (in the thousands) and my inbox directory tree?

#198671 - 15/01/2004 17:01 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: ninti]
furtive
old hand

Odd that you don't get any spam to your yahoo account. I get it by the bucket-load. It's not even an address I use - I just have the account to access yahoogroups and YIM, and it must get 60 spams a day into the inbox and 100's into the bulk messages folder

#198672 - 15/01/2004 19:44 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Mozilla will take over my database of emails (in the thousands) and my inbox directory tree?

I moved from OE to Mozilla about six months back and think it's very good. All my messages were imported completely fine, although your email accounts will be listed with their own separate Inboxes etc. and there is a "Local Folders" list which is like the standard OE setup. You need to add a rule to each account to move the messages into the Inbox of the local folder.

Gareth

#198673 - 15/01/2004 19:55 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: g_attrill]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The thing is, my inbox has many folders that I use to sort out my mail. Some are two levels deep. I'd be concerned about switching if that didn't work out well. Having a seperat inbox for each account would actually be preferable, but not required.

It doesn't really matter. I don't especially have a need for switching. A built in filter would be nice, but I'll try Popfile for now and see how it goes.

#198674 - 15/01/2004 21:15 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Mine did, but I use IMAP so it was just a matter of pointing thunderbird to the right server and doing a synch.
It found all my folders (nested and otherwise) and my multiple thousands of emails. It also easily imported my OE address book.

I cant speak for POP mail though...

#198675 - 15/01/2004 22:18 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: fusto]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Interesting.

I've set up POPFile and I like it a lot. Given that I very much disliked Mozilla's browser, I doubt I'll like their email client. I think I'll pass on it.

#198676 - 15/01/2004 22:57 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Some possibilities?
IE has a bad habit of giving away your profile, which includes your email address from OE or Outlook, when asked by a web page for the info. (or at least that is the rumor I heard).

Also, if you search your BBS username at G00gle you can find some of your posts and sometime email addys if they were attached to a message. For example, search my username and the first hit is my profile page for the empeg BBS. Maybe placing something to foil the searchbots would fix this?

Just some possibilities...

Sean in NC

EDIT: Roger, I just noticed that you have your email in your BBS profile. I bet G00gle has indexed this and someone is harvesting it from them. Do a search on "Roger empeg" and this is what comes up on the first page:

Profile for Roger - Forums powered by UBBThreads™
Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | BBS FAQ. Profile for Roger.
Email, [email protected]. Name, Roger Lipscombe. Title, Pooh-Bah. ...
empeg.comms.net/php/showprofile.php?User=Roger - 8k - Jan 14, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#198677 - 16/01/2004 02:41 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Micman2b]
Roger
carpal tunnel

this is what comes up on the first page

Ah. Damn. Can we robots.txt the profiles out of Google?

#198678 - 16/01/2004 13:53 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ah. Damn. Can we robots.txt the profiles out of Google?

Done and copied to the Rio Receiver board.

I do need to change the admin address soon. Because of how my procmail scripts are set up with my spam solution, anything to riocar_admin gets by the filter.

#198679 - 18/01/2004 14:23 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

For catching spam, I use SpamBayes on Outlook
Sorry, Tony. Thanks for the help setting up POPFile, but I loved how Spambayes installed, configured, and ran on another computer. I've now switched to Outlook, despite having no need for the features it offers over OE.

One question: do I need to keep the messages it identifies as spam for any sort of training purpose, or is it done with them and they're free to delete?

By the way, I gave Thunderbird a shot. It just didn't do it for me. I also don't want those seperate sectiosn for each account. It looked nice, but I just didn't care for it.

#198680 - 18/01/2004 17:33 Re: Spam Harvester getting to the BBS? [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
It always makes sense to hang onto a good selection of spam messages, just in case you need to move to another system in the future, or in case your current system craps out and corrupts its database or something. It is much easier to get up and running with any of these Bayesian filters if you have spam and non-spam to train it on to start with.

I keep all my spam and non-spam. Anything that ends up in my spam folder gets archived away each day (so that it is outside of my mail boxes so things don't slow down). Any mail that I put in the trash also gets archived away as non-spam (I don't ever put spam in the trash folder).

I then have a bunch of data that I can feed at BogoFilter once every nine months when it comes time to rebuild my spam/non-spam databases because they come up with a better way to analyse the data. I feed the current contents of my filter folder and my archived trash in as non-spam and my archived spam as spam.

That is 150Mb of zipped spam so far and 60Mb of zipped trash (if I trash something big it doesn't get archived).

I really don't know how I managed before Bayesian filtering came along.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >