Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#200515 - 16/02/2004 21:33 Re: Rant... Pet Adoption... [Re: lopan]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I guess that the greyhound is snarly about food because for most of her life she's been kept hungry and desparate for the stuff. What you need her to understand is that she will be fed and that food isn't going to be a problem anymore. I'd suggest keeping the two dogs separate during feeding, at least until she calms down a bit. It might even help if you left the room whilst she was feeding.
Another thing that might help could be to give regular (healthy) snacks with a happy positive vibe, "Here you go! Have a biscuit!". The point here is to associate eating with a positive vibe, whilst at the same time not giving enough 'food' for her to get defensive about.

#200516 - 16/02/2004 21:41 Re: Rant... Pet Adoption... [Re: lopan]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Just thought I would throw in my adoption story, when I was in 5th grade we got out first dog. It is a Cocker Spaniel from Cocker Rescue in Atlanta, GA. He is probably the best medium dog I have ever seen super super calm (which for a cocker is a rariety). When we got him we were told he had been abused but when we took him to the vet we found out he had buckshot in his thigh and previously had a broken hip. He does have one issue he is extremely racist.....extremely, but Im sure this is because of who abused him.

#200517 - 16/02/2004 22:26 Re: Rant... Pet Adoption... [Re: lopan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
You have beautiful dogs there. It almost makes me want to own a dog, if I didn't prefer cats

#200518 - 17/02/2004 08:21 Re: Rant... Pet Adoption... [Re: genixia]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
I guess that the greyhound is snarly about food because for most of her life she's been kept hungry and desparate for the stuff.

From what I've read what they were fed is appauling as well. What really sucks is that she was sick the first few days, the vet said no food for 24 hours which I'm sure hasn't helped her get positive about food. But all good points and will definately give those a shot. Thanks

He does have one issue he is extremely racist.....

That sucks, you have to keep a very keen eye on him I bet. The dane (hamlet) appears to be EXTREMELY protective of our family which is good and bad, definately need to get something better then just chain link up in the backyard as everytime he sees the neighbors he goes crazy...

You have beautiful dogs there. It almost makes me want to own a dog, if I didn't prefer cats

Thanks. We have two cats as well, the dogs are pretty good with them. The greyhound does have a tendency to chase if the cats run from her (then again thats what she was trained to do at the tracks). But no serious maulings yet, they just have to clean themselves much more due to all the dog spit

#200519 - 17/02/2004 10:14 Re: Rant... Pet Adoption... [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
A friend of mine used to have a Border Collie and a bunch of cats. The dog was always herding the cats. To nowhere in particular. It was really funny.

#200520 - 17/02/2004 12:40 Re: Rant... Pet Adoption... [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
Thats pretty damn funny..

#200521 - 19/02/2004 02:49 Re: Rant... Pet Adoption... [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm lucky -- I get the best of both worlds without having to take care of both cats and dogs. My company allows dogs at work, and my cube mate has a really cool dog that he brings in a few times a week. I tend not to get as much done on those days.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2