Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#201651 - 01/02/2004 05:15 Can't Stream from Hijack Web Interface to PocketPC
thedon
journeyman

I realize many of you are shaking your heads wondering why on earth I would want to stream to my PocketPC... But I have my reasons (ie. the novelty of it, making me giggle, etc.).

I can access the web interface from my Toshiba e755 just fine (using the integrated wireless) but, for some reason, although I can stream from *other* websites I cannot, for the life of me, establish a stream from my empeg. I think it may have to do (and partdon my unframiliarity in this) the fact that I can only accept ".m3u" streams. My assumption is that this is not the same streaming format used by the hijack web interface.

Is there anyway I can get this to work, or am I barking up a tree that no one cares about

Thanks guys!

Joey

(PS. I can make a song start on the player locally via my PocketPC, although it pops up with an error in a dialog window when i press "Play" - Any ideas?)

#201652 - 01/02/2004 08:47 Re: Can't Stream from Hijack Web Interface to Pock [Re: thedon]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
When I click on the "Stream" button in the Hijack web interface (the original, built-in one, not the XML addon's by Charcoalgrey99 etc..), it sends an .m3u file to my web browser.

From there, it's just a matter of configuring the web browser to do The Right Thing.

#201653 - 01/02/2004 09:02 Re: Can't Stream from Hijack Web Interface to Pock [Re: mlord]
thedon
journeyman

Unfortunatly, WIndows Mobile 2003 doesn't allow much "configuring". All I know is that it doesn't work from my HIJACK (note, nothing else was loaded) web interface, but I can stream from other websites. When I get back to school, I'll try it again and see exactly what it says (don't remember the error off the top of my head)

#201654 - 06/02/2004 20:51 Re: Can't Stream from Hijack Web Interface to Pock [Re: mlord]
thedon
journeyman

Alright so here it is:

I click on "Stream" next to a track I want to play. A dialog pops up and says: "Download '<Track Name>.m3u to the 'My Documents' folder in Main Memory?" There is a checkbox for "Open file after download" which, by default, is checked. My options are "Yes" "Change" (I assume that is the location where the song would be saved) and "Cancel"...

After I click "Yes" it IMMIDIATLY (as in, there is no download of a full song) opens up my media player that supports m3u, PocketMVP. There is an error that says, "File Error: This file is of an unknown format" My only option out of this window is "OK".

After clicking "OK" it says. "AtiCore attach failed" with the only option out of that window also being "OK".

After clicking okay a few times now, it's clear to me that the program has locked up...

Soooo... End result is that it dosen't work. Somewhere along the line I heard that it must not be a true streaming file either that or it was not in a supported format. I looked on the author of the program's website and in regard to what types of streaming media are supported it said:

Icecast(1+2)/Shoutcast support[ed]

Could this be related to why it's not working? Again, I realize this is probably not a huge issue for anyone, but it would be interesting to know exactly why it's not working for me...

#201655 - 06/02/2004 21:00 Re: Can't Stream from Hijack Web Interface to Pock [Re: thedon]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It's possible. As I remember, shoutcast does more than just send the mp3 raw. It adds more data in the stream. All the empeg's going to do is send raw mp3 data. It's hard to imagine that your player wouldn't accept that, but I suppose it's possible.

And before you ask if adding shoutcast support is possible, not to put words in Mark's mouth, but no. It's a reasonably complex protocol, IIRC, and it's unlikely to be implemented. Can you try a different player app?

#201656 - 06/02/2004 21:06 Re: Can't Stream from Hijack Web Interface to Pock [Re: wfaulk]
thedon
journeyman

Good call - Lemme google

#201657 - 06/02/2004 22:33 Re: Can't Stream from Hijack Web Interface to Pock [Re: thedon]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I've tried to stream from my empeg to my PPC 2002 and never had any luck. In the end I used a program called iPlay from 40th Floor software. It's pretty quirky, but it worked. I know that a later version (which I don't have) added internet streaming support on the server side (it runs as a server on a host PC and then the client on your wireless device), which should support .m3u files that refer to streams (which could be from your empeg). As far as I know, Microsoft's pocket media player does not support streams except for .wma streams off of a web server, although I have not played with it in a year or two.

I did recently successfully stream from my empeg to my Tivo (series 2) via the Home Media option & its PC server software. If you get anything working please post how you did it, as I'd love to try it again.

-Zeke