Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#206043 - 23/02/2004 13:03 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: thinfourth2]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Thanks, but no thanks

I think 84Mph in a car that small will be fast enough for me. Although 0-60 time could do with chopping half!!! It will be 15.5 seconds when I get it!

Cheers

Cris.

#206044 - 24/02/2004 12:19 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Cris]
gui

The 0 - 60 time explains why Smart Cars were the second most photographed car by speed cameras around London in a study last year. Only beaten by Porsche drivers.

Good choice though, I nearly bought one last year. Ruled it out as I travel to France quite regularly.

#206045 - 24/02/2004 16:47 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Cris]
belezeebub
addict

Before I vote on your Poll I have a few questions

1. Where do you put the key to wind that thing up? Or is that the deluxe model that needs 1 9-volt and 4 AA battery to run.

If you want a personalized license plate I have a few suggestions for you

MTCHBX
RLRSKT
SHOEBX
DTHTRP
SPDBMP
TINCAN

Dang that is with out a doubt the smallest car I have every seen. I am not a big person but I wouldn’t feel safe driving that thing around at all.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#206046 - 24/02/2004 16:52 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: belezeebub]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
So I suppose you have a big gas guzzling inefficient SUV so you can feel safe?

#206047 - 24/02/2004 16:56 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: belezeebub]
Cris
pooh-bah

HA HA!!!

Now let me try and guess your personalized plate...

FLMEUP
GASGUZ1
PNSEXTN
BIGTSSR

The NCAP tests prove it's as safe, if not safer than allot of small cars on the roads.

Cheers

Cris.

Edited by Cristian (24/02/2004 16:58)

#206048 - 24/02/2004 18:13 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Daria]
belezeebub
addict

I wish, I don't have the Big SUV anymore and I miss it everyday.

Every time someone is riding my butt going up a hill and I think about hitting the brakes I miss it

Every time someone cuts me off in traffic I miss it

Every time some 18 wheeler just about runs me off the road cause the Little POS I am in can't be seen in the mirror I miss it.

Every time I have to drive more then about 400 miles and my back turns into a pretzel I miss it.

Every time I think I could get out and Push my current car up the hill faster I miss it.

Every time I spend 10 minutes trying to shoe horn my monthly groceries in to my current car I miss it.

Every time I hear the Roar of a Big Block passing me on the high way (kind of sounds like stepping wolf) my current car sounds like Berry Manallow I miss it.

I don’t think I have a single photo of my current car but my web site is plastered with photos of my old beat up SUV’s so dam right I miss it.

FYI my Oregon Personalized plate was AWSM-TK that was on my 1989 ¾ Ton 4x4 with a built 454 Suburban. 9 miles to the gallon up hill down hill over a line of compact cars it didn’t matter.

As for feeling safe check this out.

I had a Guy in a 1995 Honda Accord 4Door hit my rear driver’s side tire on my Suburban and total his car (he swore he didn’t see me)
The engine on his car was pushed back enough to bow in the dash, total damage to my car 1.19 for a bottle of armor all to get the scuff of my tire.

I had a guy run a red light and I t-boned him in an intersection with my 1979 GMC Jimmy (not that little POS jimmy they make now, the Real one) From my drivers seat I could see BOTH of his bumpers I wrapped him around my front bumper like a “U”

Total Damage to my car ZERO.

I have a 1995 Chevy Blazer biggest POS on the planet and I have receipts to prove it. Last year I replaced the rack and pinion, AC compressor, Ball joints, Timing cover, alternator, windshield wiper pump, windshield wiper motor, windshield wiper Mulit function switch. The list goes on and on.
It has less then 70k miles on it.

My Jimmy had 550k and didn’t cost me as much to fix my Suburban had 190k and didn’t cost me 1/10 as much to fix as this has.

Heck you know how to change the spark plugs on my blazer?? You take the tires off (no joke it’s the only way to reach them)

______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#206049 - 24/02/2004 22:12 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: belezeebub]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I stopped driving my minivan daily because 22mpg seemed irresponsible.

#206050 - 25/02/2004 10:18 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Daria]
belezeebub
addict

I figured out all of them except
BIGTSSR

brain not working on that one.

As for the milage My life matters more to me then a few buck and I like to have the crumple zones be in someone elses car for me I want Nice thick steel, "dent resistent side inpack body moldings made out of recycled milk bottles doesn't make me feel safe.

#206051 - 25/02/2004 10:32 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: belezeebub]
Cris
pooh-bah

BIGTSSR = BIG TOSSER and I'm only kidding

Your wife may be fine, but what about the poor child you mow down in your "tank". An SUV is only safe because it destroys what it hits, anyway I only have myself to worry about.

Cheers

Cris.

#206052 - 25/02/2004 10:42 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: belezeebub]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

My life matters more to me then a few buck and I like to have the crumple zones be in someone elses car for me I want Nice thick steel, "dent resistent side inpack body moldings made out of recycled milk bottles doesn't make me feel safe.

Well think about it this way. Instead of 2 crumple zones absorbing all the energy, you now have one. Not only that, but the amount of energy is proportional to the mass of the vehicles involved.
You may feel safe. but what happens when you are involved in an accident with a like-minded driver or a large immovable object? No crumple zones.
Assuming that your rigid bodied vehicle doesn't self destruct in an accident, that means all the shock of the rapid deceleration is passed to your body via the seatbelt. What happens then is that your body frame decelerates quickly, but your internal organs don't. This causes nasty internal injuries, which are often life-threatening.

The irony here is that you state that "My life matters more to me then a few buck" (sic), yet every indication is that the opposite is true. You seem more concerned with lack of damage to your vehicle and the lack of costly repairs than having as many potentially life-saving crumple zones as possible.

Edited by genixia (25/02/2004 10:46)

#206053 - 25/02/2004 11:20 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: genixia]
belezeebub
addict

been in three accidents in my life all three where in BIG cars, all three times nither the car or my self had any damage,

THird one was in a 1974 Ford Station wagon (With the wood siding I might add)

my mom was at a complete STOP at a red light

Drunk rear ended me doing 40 - 50 mph Totaled his buick dented my bumper and I lurched forward and knocked the rearview mirrior off the windshield,

No crumple zones no air bags no side inpact curtens just plain old american made steel and the seat belt did its job,

I was sitting in the middle on the front seat ,my two sisters were in the back seat and none of us got hurt more then a "SLIGHT" bruise.

I saw a Accident between a 1980's age Surburban and a u-haul truck sure the Surburban had damage but everyone in it got out and walked away.

I'll take plain old Thick Steel over polycarbonite and crumple zones any day of the week, (and all the tests in the world won't change my mind, you can drive what you all want to drive but as soon as I pay off this WHITE POS I get to drive my 1973 Surburban dream truck.

#206054 - 25/02/2004 12:07 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: belezeebub]
Cris
pooh-bah

I'm just glad that I'm driving around on this side of the pond

#206055 - 25/02/2004 12:21 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Cris]
belezeebub
addict

Remember this is made on your side of the pond

www.maximog.com

Seeing I picked on your idea of a car its only fair you get to pick on mine,, a New Surburban costs about 50k I want to spend about 45k and build this one (price does not include most of the stereo gear but I have a bunch of that already that I can move over)

1973 Suburban 4x4
502 Crate Motor
Twin-turbo or supercharger (Still deciding on that one)
4-Inch Body Lift
Bushwhacker Fender flairs
Big Yellow Trick Tranny
Rear Axle: Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 with Detroit locker
Front Axle: Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 with ABR air Locker
Transfer Case: Advance Adapters Atlas II 4.3:1
Rear Drive Shaft: High Angle Driveline 1410 series
Front Drive Shaft: High Angle Driveline 1310 series CV
Steering: Avalanche Engineering full hydraulic, front and rear
Front Suspension: King Shocks coil-over shocks custom four-link
Rear Suspension: King coil-over shocks four-link
Brakes: Dynatrac disc brakes with ABS
Tires: BF Goodrich 39/14.50-18 Krawler TA
Wheels: Hutchinson military-style beadlocks
8 Point frame attached Roll cage
Frame Mounted dual 8dRv Batteries
Dual 260 Amp Alternators
Fully Boxed Frame trusses sub frame
60 Gallon fuel cell
11 Gallon Reserve cell with redundant pump.
(Yea go ahead and poke fun I know it will only get around 7 MPG)
Aluminum diamond plate on the inside from the back of the rear seat to the barn doors.
Powder coated Skid plates
Alternating strips of Black walnut and English walnut for a floor, attached with counter sunk brass hardware.
Dual AC units and Dual Heat
5 7-way Power adjust heated seats
Racing harnesses
Capacitor discharge headlights, fog lights and driving lights
LED Tail lights, brake lights, corner lights and marker lights.
Front and Rear 15000-pound PTO winch
9000-Pound Removable winch with mounts front and rear.
Dual Cats (don’t need them on a car this old but I am adding them anyways)
Dual SS exhaust

(Cool add on’s)
160 Gig Empeg with tuner and digital out
Alpine Digital 7.1 Decoder
Alpine IVA900 head unit
Alpine GPS
3 Alpine Remote displays
10.4 LCD touch Screen
P4 ITX system with wi-fi, and a copy of the free-cdb database incase I want to rip a new cd while I am in the car not while driving)
3 12” Diamond audio tdx 12d2 Subs
3 Phoenix Gold Titanium 1200.1 Amps
4 Phoenix Gold Titanium 1000.2 amps
7 Phoenix Gold PLD1 Line drivers
4 Pairs Diamond Audio Hex S600

#206056 - 25/02/2004 14:00 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: belezeebub]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I've been involved in 3 accidents of any note, 2 where the car I was driving was a total, and in no case did I not walk away.

#206057 - 25/02/2004 16:51 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: belezeebub]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I prefer the Colin Chapman idea of smaller and lighter

You make the car lighter, you need smaller brakes, smaller tyres, smaller gearbox which makes it even lighter which means a smaller engine which makes it lighter and eventually you end up with a lovely small car.

You cannot imagine how slothful unfoucused and lardy a 7 makes even my old car which was a sporty BMW feel.

SUVs have there place but not on the road if you want my opinion cars are getting too heavy. the futre is smaller and lighter with clever materials. Look at the new top of the range jag made off alloy it is lighter then the X series which is bottom of the range.

#206058 - 26/02/2004 09:00 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: thinfourth2]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
When the argument is safety, I don't think your 7 is an appropriate counterpoint.

#206059 - 26/02/2004 09:29 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Cris]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
If you don't want to install the empeg and want to keep the stock stereo in order to make use of the sound upgrade package, you can get a cable to connect your Karma to the CD-changer input from here:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr?doit=done&urltext=http://www.misterdotcom.de/smart/Shop/Shop/kleinteile/kleinteile.html&lp=de_en&x=34&y=9

I've been using the second one on the page with a Riot and it works very well.

#206060 - 26/02/2004 10:03 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: David]
Cris
pooh-bah

Cheers David!!!

I see they do cables to handle the lack of a cross over on another headunits. I think they are trying to say "Tweeters are wired to the rear outputs of a normal headunit, this cable stops the tweeters from blowing up" I think. I was wondering about this, so I think I'll place an order ASAP!.

I have a plan for adding the Karma to the system I've already got a Sony CD Changer switch with an AUX in, so the Empeg will go on one Aux, and a have a couple of RCA's ( mounted in the telephone console I have on order) in the second input for the Karma. This will mean no loose wires when I'm all done, I'll post some pictures when its finished.

Thanks again for the pointer!

Cheers

Cris.

#206061 - 26/02/2004 10:21 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: wfaulk]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

if the SUV is big enough i could just duck

#206062 - 27/02/2004 06:03 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Cris]
speedy67
enthusiast

Loc: South-West-Germany
I can recommend Mr. Dotcom for Smart-Stuff.
If you have problems to read something german, send me the link, i will try to translate it.

#206063 - 29/02/2004 12:26 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

It was a sad day today.

The empeg/headunit came out of the Mazda, and the factory set went back in. I liked the setup, I just hope it works as well in the Smart.

The facia adaptors are on backorder, hopefully won't be a long wait for them, I also have a crossover thing on its way from Germany, hopefully it will all be here so I can re-install next weekend.

Fingers crossed.

Cris.

#206064 - 19/03/2004 02:00 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: Cris]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

go buy this weeks autocar magazine

test of a 170bhp smart car

#206065 - 19/03/2004 08:13 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: thinfourth2]
speedy67
enthusiast

Hi Paul,

could you scan the article and post it or mail me speedy67 at gmx dot de??
Would love to read it, but can't get british mags here...
Must be the subframe with yamaha 1100ccm motor in it thing. It has been discussed in a german smart-forum for a while.
I have a video of it (3,6MB) here
Turn up the volume, if it's save...

#206066 - 19/03/2004 15:05 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: speedy67]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

same car once i read the mag i shall stic it in an envlope and send it your way.

#206067 - 22/03/2004 05:40 Re: Empeg in a Smart Car? Should I get one? Poll ! [Re: thinfourth2]
speedy67
enthusiast

Would be great, thanks...
PM with adress following.
Some more beers to drink for you in Amersfoort.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2