Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#206257 - 07/03/2004 13:49 Re: Squash 1.0 [Re: wfaulk]
gryng
stranger

No, you are correct and I am correct. It understands links that are between items in the source tree. That is if you have a tree of music and you have created some links that point _within that tree_, then his program will detect that, maintain structure and only upload the file once.

However, if you have a master tree, and create a source tree using symlinks to the master tree, his program will not work. At least I couldn't make it. I even checked into looking to add that functionality. But all the code for the inter-tree link detection was in the way, so it wasn't easy to find where to add.

#206258 - 07/03/2004 13:54 Re: Squash 1.0 [Re: gryng]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Oh, I see. I hadn't looked that hard. You could conceivably make one hard link with the rest soft links to it, but that'd be a pain to administer.

#206259 - 07/03/2004 14:07 Re: Squash 1.0 [Re: wfaulk]
gryng
stranger

But even using hard links, soft links etc, and then automating all that, it's still not very good compared to:

Rsync (from the player to the pc) the symlink farm, which includes the database files.
Remove symlinks from the current symlink farm.
Run a selection routine, this generates a filelist.
Create new symlinks based on filelist.
Rsync (from the pc to the player) the symlink farm.

One thing that is nice, is that it's about as few steps as possible. And the only "cludgy" thing is that rsync doesn't take a filelist, that would be ideal.

The main thing is that I can transfer database changes back from the player to the pc, and then use information gathered there to pick the songs that are next.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the writeable parts of the database are, to my knowledge, a big binary blob on that extra partition right? That's not as fun to play with as a simple text based one. Granted my current implementation isn't so fast, but it's fast enough (start up tiime -- defined as starting of music playing -- is a hair faster than the default player. But it does take about 30 seconds to finish reading the rest of the database).

Anyway, an easy to work with database is one of the reasons I wrote Squash. The second was to improve the shuffle mode (which is 95% of the time what I used). And the third was to support OGG's since that meant I could have more music on the player (I went from 3200 MP3's to 4000 OGG's). The last reason was so I would have a player at home on my pc (Squash runs on the PC (using console/ncurses), not just the empeg).

#206260 - 11/03/2004 00:33 Squash 1.0.1 [Re: gryng]
gryng
stranger

There was a brown paper bag null derefernce in the 1.0 release. Please use the 1.0.1 release if it affected you.

I put the files on savannah.gnu.org, but they don't seem to be showing up. So just use the CVS until I decide where else to host this project because savannah is reallllllllly making me upset.

#206261 - 03/01/2005 04:23 Re: Squash 1.0.1 [Re: gryng]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to see if anybody knew what happened to gryng? Schofield's post got me thinking about replacement player software and it seems like squash was the closest thing we ever had to a viable alternative, but Adam disappeared just about the time it started working

-Mike

#206262 - 11/01/2005 01:14 Re: Squash 1.0.1 [Re: mcomb]
DJZorro
new poster

Quote:
Thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to see if anybody knew what happened to gryng?

This software was (is) very promising and I'm thinking every day to integrate it with my I-BUS driver in order to make a more integrated product before 1.0 release. I think that the author didn't received the attention he deserved (his work is pretty brillant).

#206263 - 11/01/2005 03:55 Re: Squash 1.0.1 [Re: DJZorro]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
I think that the author didn't received the attention he deserved (his work is pretty brillant).

If you ask me, it was a matter of presentation. Not just presentation of the app, but the way it was "marketed" to the empeg community. Before it was posted here, I had gotten a few alpha/beta releases of Squash to try out, and it seemed like he may be onto something pretty neat. However, the UI was very bare-bones, and there was no interface at all to construct your own playlist or do anything except let the played/skipped algorithm do its magic. Also, like emphatic's song rating feature, the true benefits of his shuffle algorithm aren't noticed until you've played through a significant portion of your collection (not that I'm comparing the features in terms of novelty, his is certainly the more interesting approach.)

Anyway, in email conversations with gryng, I mentioned that he should give it a bit more "window dressing" and maybe add a few conventional player features before he released it to the general public... But at some point, I guess he just felt like the time was right, and when it was released, as this thread shows, it fell on mostly deaf ears. Not to mention the fact that he unintentionally took a few shots at the empeg player, which got people riled up.

Ultimately, I am certain at least parts of the Squash code have some serious potential, and I'm sure he didn't mean to piss anyone off when he released it. Unfortunately, he did, and he presumably got too busy with school to come back to Squash, and/or got angry at the cold reception here. In any event, the code is right there for us in CVS, so if we really want to take a stab at a replacement player, we've got yet another weapon at our disposal.

#206264 - 12/01/2005 18:15 Re: Squash 1.0.1 [Re: tonyc]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Do you still have his email address? The atmosphere is a lot different now, so people might be more open to trying this out. Even if he doens't have fime to develope it, I'm sure he might have some advice on what he was doing. It seems like most BBS members now have 2 or more players, so we'd be willing to try this out on a second player.

#206265 - 12/01/2005 18:35 Re: Squash 1.0.1 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
[email protected] according to freshmeat.

#206266 - 16/01/2005 15:55 Re: Squash 1.0.1 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
AudunE
journeyman

Loc: Trondheim, Norway
I would like to put my teeth in Squash when I soon get my second and third player. We really need an open-source player for our beloved Empeg

Audun

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2