Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#206304 - 29/02/2004 04:13 Re: I went out mountain biking today... [Re: mlord]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I would really like to see more of a close-up of the front suspension, if you could. Most unusual that !

The advantage of this fork design is that it is very light -- probably half a pound lighter than any "normal" front fork with comparable travel (over 3") and durability.

The disadvantage is mechanical complexity and high service requirements. I probably average $75 a year keeping it tight.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
206515-Fork3.jpg (505 downloads)

#206305 - 29/02/2004 04:26 Re: I went out mountain biking today... [Re: Lupo]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Very nice AMP! Are those still being built?

No, they stopped production about two years ago, although as you pointed out they did make some Mercedes branded bikes, but I believe those are also no longer in production.

Parts and service are still available from Amp Research in California. Last year they replaced my complete rear triangle under the lifetime frame warranty when one of the dropouts separated from the carbon fiber seat stay. I had to stop every quarter mile (the tire would rub on the chain stay) and bang the dropout back into place with a rock. Fortunately I was only about five miles from my car. The new triangle has an improved attachment method, adding a rivet to the glue joint.

They also rebuilt my brake calipers and front shocks, and replaced the link pins and bushings in the rear suspension and front fork, all for about $200.

tanstaafl.

#206306 - 29/02/2004 22:37 Re: I went out mountain biking today... [Re: mcomb]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I went for mountain bike ride today too. Of course here (northern California) its at least 60 degrees F out and sunny. Your nuts man

Here is why I'm not nuts!

1) Get a bunch of us together on a pretty nice day -- temperature above zero. I'm the really handsome guy on the far right of the picture.

2) There are hundreds of miles of trails like this all around Fairbanks, within a 5 minute drive from down town. That's not me riding there, I'm much better looking than that.

3) Not relevant for today's ride, the trails were excellent (see #2 above) but when the trails are soft, we will actually ride with our tire pressures this low. That really is me. See how handsome I am?

Interior Alaska in the winter time has some of the best mountain biking you will find anywhere.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
206592-collage.jpg (198 downloads)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2