Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#206433 - 23/02/2004 16:52 Simplifying the wiring harness?
awetmore
new poster

Loc: seattle, wa
One thing that I had about empeg installs is the number of wires coming out of the unit which I just don't need. I my car I run the device as an aux-in to another head unit, so I only need power, aux-in, and front-out connected. With the standard harness this means that I need to find space behind the dash for hiding the serial, tuner, and rear-out connectors and wires.

Is the connector on the sled available anywhere? This would allow me to make a new simpler harness. Otherwise how hard is it to remove single pins from the stock connector? This would allow me to remove the ones that I'm not using, but put them back later if I sold the unit or wanted to use them.

I might be purchasing another one and doing an install into my wife's car, plus I want to redo the installation into my car, so it would be nice to clean this stuff up. Both are Mk4/A4 VWs with double din dash openings.

alex

#206434 - 23/02/2004 17:00 Re: Simplifying the wiring harness? [Re: awetmore]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There is a video of how to remove the pins from the connector here. It's pretty straightforward. There are some things you shouldn't remove because they are loopback connections to other bits. Make sure to save everything, including the pins, don't throw them away. That way, you can put it all back together if you ever resell the sled. Pinout diagrams are here.

#206435 - 23/02/2004 20:37 Re: Simplifying the wiring harness? [Re: awetmore]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
A thread about the Digi-key part numbers for docking connectors is here if you decide to replace the entire connector.