Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#207039 - 26/02/2004 10:51 VW monsoon install
dahlhana
new poster

Greetings..

I am just getting ready to install the empeg in my GTI (2000) with monsoon, and was wondering if there were any better ways of doing it than to replace the amplifier. I have been looking around for previous installations, however, they all seem to involve replacing the amp and when I talked to a couple of installers (ABT/Crutchfield) they also warned that I might have to replace the speakers and run new wire etc..

It would be really cool to be able to do this cheaper/easier. Any new revolutionary products that will fill this, or is it better just to bite the bullet and replace the amp?

thanks,

-andreas

#207040 - 26/02/2004 11:26 Re: VW monsoon install [Re: dahlhana]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If I recall correctly, isn't the problem with the monsoon amp the fact that it only amplifies some of the speakers? If that's the case, you're stuck with installing a new amp anyhow, so you might as well do the whole thing.

#207041 - 26/02/2004 15:55 Re: VW monsoon install [Re: dahlhana]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yes. visit www.rcainput.com and route through the existing HU, You'll lose your cubby hole pocket. Put the stock HU in the top position, empeg below.
You'll also want to make up a harness to supply both the empeg and stock HU at the same time.- Search this forum for 'golf' and you'll find a write up of how I did it. I'll mention that since that was written I rewired my power and ground for both units to come from the fusebox and a suitable ground point rather than through the car's wiring loom to cut ignition noise - that might not be necessary with the monsoon since the monsoon HU wont be drawing as much power.
Note that getting all the wiring in place can be a bitch. You'll want to dismantle losts of dash to do it easily and without frustration. (center console, panels under steering wheel and glovebox.)

#207042 - 26/02/2004 18:41 Re: VW monsoon install [Re: genixia]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
genixia's thread
As you can see I did it the same way genixia did and yes it is difficult but possible to fit all the wiring back there.

#207043 - 27/02/2004 22:03 Re: VW monsoon install [Re: Phoenix42]
dahlhana
new poster

Thank you all for the suggestions.. I recently got the radio module for the empeg (thanks to PCATS), and the monsoon headunit does not do CDs, which means that it can be completely (and more so) replaced by the empeg. I was hoping to completely eliminate the monsoon headunit, and just have the empeg... I am also dreaming of putting a LCD popout screen into the other DIN slot..

Well... I guess the only way of doing this would be to replace the amp.. I do have the bentley manual for the car, so it should not be too difficult to dis-assemble the dash and other body parts...

So... anybody with good recommendations for a relatively cheap amp that does not sound cheap?

Thanks,

-andreas

#207044 - 27/02/2004 23:52 Re: VW monsoon install [Re: dahlhana]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm. IIRC, the monsoon amp doesn't have an amp-remote line, and it's inputs are speaker level. You need something that can preamp the empegs 4V line outputs to speaker level. (Probably 2 of them if they are stereo)