Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#208649 - 09/03/2004 22:30 Going digital
Yonzie
journeyman

Loc: Denmark
I have an Empeg (Surprise!)
I also have a Pioneer P9 combo (DEX-P9/DEQ-P9), a VDO Multimedia thingamabob (More Linux, YAY!), a PS2 (Possibly even MORE Linux), and a bunch of amps. I will be competing with this setup, so I want it to be as perfect as possible in every way (the competition part is just an excuse, I would want it anyway).

Since the car is `noisy', I'm thinking I'll mod everything to accept digital inputs/outputs. The P9 combo is already digital and the HU has a (one) digital input. I'll definitely be getting the TOSLINK mod for the Empeg, but I'll still need somewhere to plug in the VDO thingie (the PS2 plugs into that).
So... I need a digital input for the Empeg. I do know a guy that's a fairly hardcore electronics guy, but I've been unsuccessful in confirming if the AUX in on the Empeg is converted to digital and back again, or if it's just a straight-through job. In the former case, I suppose it's just a question of locating the AUX-in ADC and bypassing it.

Since the Digital out mod is branded as a `digital sound card', I'm also a little (not too much) worried that there's some additional conversion going on here... Any information on this?

The final and wildest mod would be converting the DEQ-P9 to digital out and adding digital in on the amps. Unfortunately, this won't work since the volume control comes after the DAC. Of course, I might be able to do a second digital cable with volume information... Hmmm... *drool*
#00182, 10GB, Amber, Denmark, Peugeot 206, Rebuilding my stereo - great things to come

#208650 - 10/03/2004 21:48 Re: Going digital [Re: Yonzie]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'll go ahead and reply.

In reply to:

Since the Digital out mod is branded as a `digital sound card', I'm also a little (not too much) worried that there's some additional conversion going on here... Any information on this?

Well yes there is conversion. The quad I2S clock and data signals are "converted" to a multiplexed S/PDIF bitstream containing both timing and digital audio information. Later versions, if only for our own internal use, may contain asynchronous sample rate conversion as well.

Stu

#208651 - 11/03/2004 00:23 Re: Going digital [Re: Yonzie]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

but I've been unsuccessful in confirming if the AUX in on the Empeg is converted to digital and back again, or if it's just a straight-through job. In the former case, I suppose it's just a question of locating the AUX-in ADC and bypassing it.

The ADC is built into the DSP, and cannot be bypassed as such for Aux In mode. The DSP does have one of it's digital CD inputs not being used. This would accept an i2s signal, so you'd need some hardware to convert spdif to i2s. In addition, some kernel hacking would be required. And you wouldn't have any visuals for your new 'Aux In' mode. Not that I haven't confirmed that this is feasible physically. That input (and it's associated control line) should currently be grounded. It might not be be possible to break those ground connections - it depends on how they got routed on the pcb. If they got routed under the DSP and via'd to ground then you can forget it. If they got routed away from the DSP on the component layer then it might be possible.

I'm not feeling inclined to crack open my player to check at the moment - I don't think that the demand is there to really make the investment in time, hardware and effort. I suppose that if it is possible that Stu might consider adding an input stage to his soundcard if demand did really exist and it does turn out to be physically possible, but I wouldn't hold out any hope.

For anyone with a copy of the DSP manual who wants to check those lines, you're looking at CD_2. (CD_1 is used for mp3 playback)