Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#208839 - 10/03/2004 22:28 VFD Problem or Broken Display board
Rafy
new poster

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
My Display stopped working ... I don't think it's the cable and I don't think the nipple is damaged as it's still firmly attached ...

I was installing the knob kit .. I though everything went smooth but when I plugged it all together again the display flickers and the blue led above the knob dimms faintly for a few seconds and then it goes out completely ...

I checked the voltage and it's not 5v as it should be at this location ... http://www.hulktronics.com/buttons/pics/knobhookup2.jpg ... it shows only about 2.4v ....

one theory that I have is that I plugged the display ribbon back in, one pin over to the right (BY ACCIDENT), when looking at the front of the player and burned something.

What can I do now ?
What's wrong with my player ?

HELP please !!

#208840 - 10/03/2004 22:31 Re: VFD Problem or Broken Display board [Re: Rafy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
one theory that I have is that I plugged the display ribbon back in, one pin over to the right
Sigh. How many times do we warn people about this?

Click here. (Fuse blows when you plug off-by-one.)

Sigh.

#208841 - 11/03/2004 05:45 Re: VFD Problem or Broken Display board [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
The good news is that the display board and the VFD are probably fine in this case. But check your fuses. There is a detailed guide for how to replace them if you need to.

Do you see anything on the display at all? You mentioned "flicker", can you be more specific?

#208842 - 11/03/2004 08:03 Re: VFD Problem or Broken Display board [Re: Rafy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
This is an easy repair -- there are three fuses, one or two of which have blown. They will not be visibly damaged, and so need to be checked with an ohm meter. Anyone with electronic soldering experience can replace these in the blink of an eye.

Cheers

#208843 - 11/03/2004 22:32 Re: VFD Problem or Broken Display board [Re: mlord]
Rafy
new poster

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
THANKS A mil guys ...

I really appreciate your help !!! I don't know what i would do if my empeg was KIA ... I'll go get the replacement fuse(s) and start tracing ...