Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#211419 - 29/03/2004 07:55 Bad IDE cable symptoms
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I think my IDE cable is going bad. I got into the truck yesterday and the empeg reported no HDD found. I opened it up and all the connections were tight and then it booted fine.
I added a bunch of music and it seems to be stuck in the synch. Ironically it's stuck on a song called "Can't Happen Here..." so the status window says "Writing Can't Happen Here..."
Hmmm now I just got a warning of connection timed out for that song, and it appears stuck for the rest of the tracks as well.

Is this behavior a symptom of IDE drive cable failure? Are there still spares available?

Thanks!

#211420 - 29/03/2004 08:44 Re: Bad IDE cable symptoms [Re: davec]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is this behavior a symptom of IDE drive cable failure?
It is a symptom of something wrong with the disk drive or the IDE subsystem, yes. But not necessarily the cable. There are plenty of other things that could be wrong. Please go through the whole list before assuming it's the cable. If it is the cable, that link has instructions on how to fix it, or you can buy another from Eutronix.

#211421 - 29/03/2004 09:35 Re: Bad IDE cable symptoms [Re: tfabris]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
OK, thanks. It's at home now and I'm not. I'll check the boot logs for the CS4132A problem and look at the solder joints. I can rule out most of the other causes for now.
Is there a disk checking utility I can use to check the drives while in the empeg? I don't have any other computers that I can connect laptop drives to.

On a side note, my DirecTiVo HDD died this weekend, got that successfully replaced and upgraded to 205 hours, and preserved recordings. I used Maxtor Powermax to determine which drive is going bad, but I replaced both. I hope my HDDs in the empeg aren't dying...

#211422 - 29/03/2004 11:41 Re: Bad IDE cable symptoms [Re: tfabris]
eliceo
enthusiast

I notice that eurtronix has 2 cables now, is there any reason not to buy the cable made as suggested by m lord?