Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#211608 - 30/03/2004 18:06 Laser Cut Face ???
belezeebub
addict

Question 303 Stopped making his awsome faces
there is a metal shop near me which said if I buy a full sheet 4x8 they can set up their laser cutter to cut them out for small fee (still talking about what "small fee" is)

before I think about this I have a question ?

Do the voids and valleys on the back of the face need to be there for clearance reasons or for any reason ?

Does the slight raised lip on the front of the face have to be there ?

What about the slight raise lip around the 4 buttons ?

I have access to a CNC machine but have not the skills to use it my self if 303 had a program he would be willing to sell or a pattern I would give making his style a try but he didn't reply to my last message so not sure about that one.

______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#211609 - 30/03/2004 18:14 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Do the voids and valleys on the back of the face need to be there for clearance reasons or for any reason ?
Only enough to make room for the translucent lens to fit into it. The rest was just for making the plastic mold easier to work with, standard plastic-casting stuff.

Does the slight raised lip on the front of the face have to be there ?
I don't know what you mean. What lip on the front?

What about the slight raise lip around the 4 buttons ?
The openings for the buttons have to be carefully shaped to fit the buttons, and the face is responsible for holding the buttons in place. So you would have to do some experimenting to get the right shape around the buttons.

#211610 - 31/03/2004 00:21 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
The openings for the buttons have to be carefully shaped to fit the buttons, and the face is responsible for holding the buttons in place. So you would have to do some experimenting to get the right shape around the buttons.

Or maybe he could use round buttons.

Matt

#211611 - 31/03/2004 08:53 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: belezeebub]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I would just go with 303's design. Its good - plus you can use buttons that are easily available. What about volume knobs though?

Also is the 'lip' your referring to the indent to allow the handle to be easily grasped? This is necessary I think.

I also emailed him about taking on the project but also heard nothing.

#211612 - 31/03/2004 10:00 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
belezeebub
addict

I got a reply 303 he has the cnc data, going to ask on saturday if this can be used to recreate the face plate.

as for the knobs and buttons I am looking for a source for them.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#211613 - 31/03/2004 10:08 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: belezeebub]
Glen_L

Loc: Elk Grove, CA
Do you know what styles the metal shop would be able to reproduce if given the cnc data? I've been hoping to get the brushed aluminum for a long time...

#211614 - 31/03/2004 10:30 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: Glen_L]
belezeebub
addict

At this point I have to buy a do a sheet at a time, all would be the same but I am looking into the possibility of sending them out for power coating or getting the brushed look.

Might even be the option to have them made in different colors. 4x8 sheet 8inches by 3 inches to leave room for the bevel and mistakes I'll get 6 across per sheet and 32 down 192 per sheet.

Edited by belezeebub (31/03/2004 10:34)

#211615 - 31/03/2004 10:35 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: Glen_L]
belezeebub
addict

Duh,,, not sure on the CNC ones still talking to 303 and trying to figure out if the information he has will work in the CNC I have access too, that last post was about the laser cut ones, just ignore it.,

#211616 - 01/04/2004 11:29 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: belezeebub]
retmana
stranger

Another idea you guys might like to consider is to get the panels manufactured by this company:

http://www.schaeffer-apparatebau.de/
(or in the USA)
http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

They have a free download application to allow design of your front panel (in this case the empeg fascia) - and then submit the design online for manufacture. I recently used this service for the manufacture of a custom front panel for a home media computer I'm building using an old DVD player case - the quality of finish is fantastic (german engineering!) and overall the whole process is very slick and impressive.

I just did a very very rough design for an empeg fascia (guessed dimensions, a few holes in roughly the right place, and a single rectangular hole for the lense) and this comes out at around 20 euros + postage.

The software only allows a limited number of simplistic shapes, but it should be possible to overlap a few rectangles to approximate 303's design...

The front panels are all made from aluminium in a range of coloured finishes - there's no brushed finish available but I guess you could do this with a little dremel work. I went for the natural anodized finish which is a pleasing matt silver - would imagine it might look nice on the empeg.

If anyone feels like working on a design for this, then a group buy could be set up (I'm not volunteering) to get a sizeable volume discount. This company only produces front panels, so they should be around for a while for any further orders - either one offs for individuals, or further group buys. Having both a european presence (in Germany) and in USA should be a good thing too - I haven't checked but would imagine that the same software & design files work with both countries.

Sadly, they don't use lasers (which does sound cool), but high speed milling machines instead.

Anyone think this might be an idea?

#211617 - 01/04/2004 14:09 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: retmana]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Took a look at the program and it seems usable, though they only allow up to 4 millimeters (about 1/8th inch) thickness.. I'm not sure this is thick enough..

#211618 - 01/04/2004 15:28 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: Yang]
coolblue
journeyman

Loc: Switzerland
For my empeg-housing project I have used this service.
I have only postitive experiences with this company.

To make a faceplate based on this service is a practicable scheme.
The max. 4mm thickness can bee a problem.

I have data, who match the empeg very well.
At the moment I'm very busy. So I don't have time to setup a face project.
If someone else who wants to start a face project based on this service, I'm willing to supply the data.

#211619 - 01/04/2004 17:04 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: coolblue]
belezeebub
addict

Where did you find the buttons and knobs for that one ?

#211620 - 01/04/2004 17:29 Re: Laser Cut Face ??? [Re: belezeebub]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Those are 303's parts. The buttons are readily available - from Farnell I think.