Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212550 - 08/04/2004 11:38 Amersfoort and me
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm trying my best to make it to Amersfoort this year. It's more of a money and fear-of-flying issue than getting time to go.

In regards to the latter portion of that, it'd be cool if I could get on a flight that had someone else on it. Not to mention it'd be nice to have an acquaintance once I get there. It's always less troubling to screw up getting around a new place when there's someone else there. So: who's going and will be connecting or starting on the east coast? I'll be coming from RDU. I've seen connections through NYC, Philly, and Washington, I think. Also through London, but that probably doesn't solve my problem, unless someone else would be on that flight, and then only the "getting lost" part.

Anyway, who wants to be on the same plane as me?

#212551 - 08/04/2004 11:55 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There was a certain year that I wanted to go to Amersfoort, but I was still worried about flying in the wake of 9/11, as well as basically hating the whole flying experience from prior poor treatment by airlines, so I allowed various commitments at home to override my desire to go, and we just didn't get the ducks in a row to be able to go that year.

The following year, I realized that all of the above was a bit silly and that it was worth it to make the effort to go. I'm so very glad I did. We made it into a family Europe trip and it was great. But I would have been happy even if I'd only gone to Amersfoort and done nothing else.

So, having been in your shoes at one time, I can offer some advice from that perspective.

The main thing I want to impart is that it turns out that the flying part of it is the least of the difficulties. It was actually a relief to get onto the plane and underway. Much more traumatic is the experience of scheduling the trip, working with the travel agent on the details (you may not have that part of it if you're merely flying to amersfoort and back), getting to the airport on time, getting to the terminal on time after the entire parking/trek to the terminal/checkin/baggage ordeal, getting through security without an anal probe, et cetera. If that stuff doesn't scare you, then the flight is a cake walk compared to that.

Another thing to consider is that traveling like that is EASIER, by far, to do alone. My Amersfoort excursion was done with my family, and although I love them dearly, the logistics of trying to travel together simply complicates matters. Airports and baggage and security and even simple things like getting a meal at the airport are much easier when you're alone.

For what it's worth.

#212552 - 08/04/2004 12:00 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
That's the main thing that's keeping me from going. OK, well besides the money issue and all.

I hate traveling alone. I hate being around people I don't know. Having just one person that I do know, or am comfortable with offsets it a lot. Anyway, what was my point? Oh yeah, If I end up going, I'd be in the same situation; namely, looking for someone to travel with.
ricin.us

#212553 - 08/04/2004 12:07 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: ricin]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I actually don't mind traveling alone at all. I usually like to be early to the airport by about 2 hours even for domestic flights. My coworkers don't feel the same way and I'm usually held back by them not being ready when I pick them up.

#212554 - 08/04/2004 12:21 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: tfabris]
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands
Another thing to consider is that traveling like that is EASIER, by far, to do alone.

I would agree with that. However, there's one big advantage of having company (especially female): it's much less likely that customs pick you out for a "routine" check.

Pim

#212555 - 08/04/2004 12:29 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Ditto. I travelled for about 38 hours back home from Tokyo by myself, and loved every minute of it, aside from not being able to sleep for a single moment. That's my only trouble, I can't sleep when I travel. It's not a fear issue, I just can't get my body to do it. I think I have to be absolutely comfortable in able to sleep well.

I think the other reason I don't dislike traveling is because I get to use my father's red carpet club membership. That makes it much easier

#212556 - 08/04/2004 12:41 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I get to use my father's red carpet club membership.
What's that? Sounds like something I would want.

#212557 - 08/04/2004 12:50 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: robricc]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Nevermind. I found it's the United aiport lounge club. Airport lounges are cool. I can use Continental, Northwest, and Delta lounges and some others.

#212558 - 08/04/2004 12:52 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I believe it's a Delta-owned thing. It's basically a place to sit down and have [very] light snacks (bagels and cream cheese in the mornings, at least) and beverages. There's comfortable chairs and it's quieter than sitting in the terminal. I also believe that very soon they plan on having WIFI as well.

Even if it's owned by Delta, I don't think you have to fly that airline. My dad never does anymore. It is, however, a yearly fee. Only worth it if you fly quite often, which my dad does.

*edit*
OK, then, United I could have sworn it was Delta-related...

Edited by DiGNAN17 (08/04/2004 12:53)

#212559 - 08/04/2004 12:57 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: Dignan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Keep in mind that a lot of credit cards offer "perks" where you can get into these lounges for almost any airline if you charge the ticket on their card. Check with your credit card company's propaganda. You may be able to go to whichever one you choose.

#212560 - 08/04/2004 13:10 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: pgrzelak]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, I think my dad prefers that all his credit card perks simply be more air miles. I flew round-trip to Japan and my mom went to southeast Asia, both in business class, on nothing but my dad's miles.

Besides, considering how often he flies, I don't think he wants to worry about whether he'll get a lounge or not. He always has it this way.

#212561 - 08/04/2004 13:19 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It's not a fear issue
Well, the thing is that it is for me. I don't really mind the flying itself so much; it's mostly the takeoff and landing that bother me. And the turbulence. But while I'm flying, I'm constantly worried about the upcoming landing and the possible turbulence. I get freaked out. I'm usually a real white-knuckle flyer. I expect that my arms will be dead tired after that 8 hour flight. In some ways, a long flight will actually be better, as I'll be able to get involved in something consuming.

Boy, I sure am convincing someone to fly with me....

#212562 - 08/04/2004 13:25 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Will you squeeze your travelling partner's hand?

Does portable entertainment help? You could pick up a GBA and some classic games for the trip. The original GBAs are pretty cheap now, though the new ones are going for $89.

I can also suggest the new Archos portables for movies, TV shows, music, pictures, etc if you have some cash to spend.

#212563 - 08/04/2004 13:36 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I get freaked out. I'm usually a real white-knuckle flyer.
Do you find that having a friend with you actually helps? Or does it just make the friend freaked out? (Or just plain irritated?)

The "fear of flying" episode of Cheers comes to mind.

"I'm in my happy place!"

#212564 - 08/04/2004 13:41 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Will you squeeze your travelling partner's hand?
Tell ya what, if you buy my ticket, I'll not only fly with you from RDU, I'll hold your hand, sing you lullabies, and carry your luggage.

#212565 - 08/04/2004 15:31 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I've never flown with anyone as an adult other than my wife and she usually just falls asleep immediately. So I couldn't really tell you. I'm thinking maybe conversation would help get my mind off of it, but, then again, I don't know that I could hold up my end of an eight-hour conversation, my post count notwithstanding.

#212566 - 08/04/2004 15:54 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I don't know that I could hold up my end of an eight-hour conversation
Just make sure your flying buddy is right-wing and very religious. I'm sure you'd have plenty to talk about then!

In the case you can't find such a person, we can all submit essays for you to review for grammar errors.

#212567 - 08/04/2004 18:39 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I guess I fly so often that it means about as much to me as going to put gas in my car. Lately, I've gotten back to my pre 9/11 ways of showing up at the airport at the last minute. I find I can get through security significantly faster now than ever before since they've added more concurrent baggage scanners and they no longer insist that you turn on your laptop to make sure it's real.

I'm not sure whether statistics will comfort you, but you're far more likely to die while you're driving to the airport than once you walk in the door. Yeah, the ride can be bumpy, but roller coasters are far worse. My recommendation is to get a pair of noise-damping headphones like the Etymotics and the portable MP3 player of your choice. That, and I always go for a window seat. You can pile a sweater, and the airline pillow and blanket against the wall and it's almost comfortable enough to fall asleep. Particularly if you follow my next trick.

How to sleep on long international flights and wake up refreshed. It's important that, when you walk onto the plane, regardless of whether you're flying east or west, that you be tired. Force yourself to go to bed late and get up early. Whatever it takes. By the time your flight lifts off, you're beat. Wolf down the meal and take a nap. If you're tired enough, you'll be out like a light. Window seats help significantly (see above). If you can't sleep, there's a lot to be said for a traditional paperback book.

#212568 - 08/04/2004 19:33 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Does portable entertainment help? You could pick up a GBA and some classic games for the trip.

Oh, wow, that gives me an idea.

Wouldn't it be neat if someone would invent some sort of...., well, a portable, pocket-sized empeg that you could just carry with you and listen to all your music and audiio books on.

Whoever made a device like that would certainly be in for some good karma!

tanstaafl.

#212569 - 10/04/2004 16:20 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
To wfaulk, ricin, and anyone else: I'm willing to fly with you to Amersfoort. Currently, I'm planning to go alone. It would be lonely, but would bring a great sense of freedom. However, I love to meet new people (especially when they have empegs!) so flying over with people from the BBS would be fun too.

I'm flying out of some NY/NJ airport but have not booked my flight yet. Anyone, PM me if you are interested in flying over.

And maybe more: I don't know how the hotel situation will work out in Amersfoort, but I know I'll need a room in Amsterdam for a while. Honestly, I'm a tad scared of Amsterdam from what I've heard for so many years. It might be nice to have someone to at least walk around with.

Mitigating factors: You can travel with me if you don't mind my bad grammar and spelling (Bitt, haha), don't mind (or have a nice way to stop) my immature pondering and reassurance about fear of airplane take off and landing, aren't too stubborn and are able to go with the flow, and maybe some other stuff that I can't think of now.

#212570 - 13/04/2004 12:56 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay. Here's another set of questions. Those of you just going for the meet, what dates are you travelling? And what kind of prices did you get for the flight? Has the hotel rate been set and do we need to let RobS know about our plans? Will the rate extend maybe one or two days before and after?

As you might be able to tell, I'm a rather trepidatious traveler, at least when it comes to methods of travel where I'm not in charge.

#212571 - 13/04/2004 14:50 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Will the rate extend maybe one or two days before and after?
That's how it worked for me last year when I did just the meet. I left NY on wednesday to arrive at AMS on Thursday. I left for NY on Monday. So, I had two extra non-meet nights at the hotel at the same rate.

#212572 - 13/04/2004 17:52 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I will be in London the week before the meet, and am flying from London over to Amsterdam on the Wednesday immediately before the meet weekend. Leaving for home on the Tuesday (I think).

Airfare from YOW (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) was good -- about CAD$600 return to LHR (London Heath Row), and another CAD$220 for the flights between LHR and AMS (Amsterdam).

Hotel at Trafalger Square in London is something like UK82/night for us.

Cheers

#212573 - 14/04/2004 03:17 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: FireFox31]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Don't be worried about the hotels over here, they are plentiful and in good supply. The hotel for the event has 35 rooms booked, and we can expand this. There will be a booking form going up sometime soon.

As for Amsterdam: I I compare it to NYC, then I would say that there is no great difference since it is just another big city. The biggest problem about Amsterdam is getting out of the railway station the first time you arrive without being approached by pimps, drug dealers, room shoppers, all the rest. However, if you just keep your head down and keep walking, and don't stand there and go "WOW!" as you walk through the exit, you should be OK. I can recommend a small, low price hotel in the centre which is economical but clean, over a bar (excellent!) and literally right in the middle of things. Let me know if you would be interested: however, given the cost of rail travel and good trains here, you may as well just stay for extra days in Amersfoort!

Anyone interested in hotels in Amsterdam, please let me know via PM towards the end of April, please, no earlier.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#212574 - 14/04/2004 03:22 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: robricc]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Blimey Rob, and there's me making you (almost) late for the airport last year! Sorry, squire.

#212575 - 14/04/2004 03:29 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Long trans-Atlantic flights are usually at high altitude, and as a result are very stable and turbulence free: additionally, they are usually flown by the larger jets (Jumbos, and the like) which have a very slow take off and landing speed.

However - having said that to try and reassure you - I suffer from exactly the same thing on takeoff and landing, also from very rapid changes in pitch and attitude of the aircraft. The only way I have found to deal with it is fly regularly to get used to the sensation, and I always sit at the back of the aircraft where I find I feel safer and the sensations of movement seem to be less extreme (doesn't match the physics, I know, but hey! it seems to work for me). Also, looking out of the window at takeoff and landing help to orient me with what the aircraft is doing and it makes pitch changes a little more predictable if I can see them.

The other solution is to get blind drunk as soon as you get on board, and pass out!

#212576 - 14/04/2004 07:59 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: schofiel]
robricc
carpal tunnel

No problem really. I wasn't really sweating it. I've missed Continental flights in the past and I was always able to get where I was going at no additional cost and within a couple hours.

I got to the gate just as boarding had begun. Of course, I also got stopped twice by security for carrying this with me which ate-up time.

#212577 - 30/04/2004 15:26 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Certain parties are interested in me spending some time in the UK. As I don't really want to spend the money to rent a car (and as it seems to be impossible to rent a car one-way from the Netherlands to the UK anyway), I was wondering if someone would like to give me a lift back over (or under) the Channel. Anyone?

#212578 - 30/04/2004 17:57 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: wfaulk]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I will be driving/boating back to Cambridge early Monday morning and will have a car. I would be glad to take you if you want.

#212579 - 30/04/2004 23:27 Re: Amersfoort and me [Re: robricc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Cool. I'm still thinking about it, but that may work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >