Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#213190 - 13/04/2004 19:21 Noob Question
Gylend
new poster

Well I recieved a model RD100-60 Empeg from my brother who passed away but im not sure if I have all neccessary to work it. I have the Box, the Power Supply and it appears to already have its harness installed. But I dont have the sled or CD the manuel calls for... I tried installing some Emplode software off the web to load up the database on my computer but it wont recognize it and im sure im missing something.. I run basic WinXP Pro, not familiar with Linux etc from all the coding I see being passed around, hope to take classes soon I Loaded it up with the power supply and i see that my brother already loaded a ton of music on it. It definately has been used a bit, just not sure how I can edit it and what else do I need to install in my car... Thanks for your help and info.

#213191 - 13/04/2004 22:31 Re: Noob Question [Re: Gylend]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sorry to hear about your brother...

If it has a harness attached, the empeg is probably inserted into the sled already...

Unless you're already reading it, your first action should be to check out the very extensive FAQ.
For instance, here's a list of what came in the box.

/Michael

#213192 - 14/04/2004 07:09 Re: Noob Question [Re: Gylend]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

To get it working in the car you will need a sled - this must be installed in your brothers car I'd have thought - unless its already in the sled - try pulling the unit out of the sled with the handle. If not he could only have used it in the house. They'll also be a credit card remote somewhere - you'll need this for some functions, but not necessary for simple stuff.

You don't need to know Linux either - unless you want to that is!

#213193 - 14/04/2004 08:31 Re: Noob Question [Re: Gylend]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I tried installing some Emplode software off the web to load up the database on my computer but it wont recognize it and im sure im missing something.
Current versions of Emplode only work with v2.00 car-player firmware (or the beta versions of v2). Unless your brother ever took the time to upgrade his firmware, the player is probably still running the older v1.03 or earlier. Your first step would then be to download and apply the v2.00 firmware upgrade.

Peter

#213194 - 14/04/2004 10:43 Re: Noob Question [Re: Gylend]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I tried installing some Emplode software off the web to load up the database on my computer but it wont recognize it and im sure im missing something.. I run basic WinXP Pro
Are you using a USB connection to hook it up to the computer? If so, please read this.

For detailed instructions on how to upgrade emplode and the player, follow the "Upgrade" sub-link within that FAQ entry above.

it appears to already have its harness installed.
Can you describe this harness? As others have said, if there is really a wiring harness, then it's probably already in the sled and you merely need to pull the handle and it will slide right out of the harness.

#213195 - 14/04/2004 17:07 Re: Noob Question [Re: tfabris]
Gylend
new poster

Ok i am starting to learn more about it the more I read and this is what i got.. I also have the remote and the manual and thats helping alot too.. The firmware may be outdated and I will try to install the upgrade when i find a serial cable around, hehe. All I am apartly missing to get it to function is the sled with corresponding connectors. the 'Harness' I was thinking was the wiring from inside the box to the female port to plug into the sled. I am looking to buy a sled if anyone willing to part or knows someone! Also I found the Empeg when i connected it through USB after updating drivers, but Emplode would only say "The Operation Completed Sucessfully" but wouldnt bring up the playlist it has on the empeg for editing or anything, there isnt a write-protector on these babies is there? Thanks for your help!

#213196 - 14/04/2004 17:27 Re: Noob Question [Re: Gylend]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

the 'Harness' I was thinking was the wiring from inside the box to the female port to plug into the sled
Ah. That's the ISO adapter, yeah. Doesn't do you any good at this point.

The sled is probably still installed in your late brother's car. Any idea where it is? If the car was sold, its buyers would have no use for the sled and it would have no value to them. However, to the empeg owner, the sled is priceless as they are very difficult to replace. I'd see if I could pursue tracking it down if I were you.

I will try to install the upgrade when i find a serial cable around, hehe.
Remember that it has to be a null-modem cable.

The pins on the cable that are used are pins 2, 3, and 5. (RX, TX, and Ground.)

Pins 2 and 3 are "crossed" on a null-modem cable, they are straight-through on a regular cable.

#213197 - 14/04/2004 17:30 Re: Noob Question [Re: Gylend]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

No, there's not a write-protector on them. And you can tell the firmware version by going to the "About" menu on the player itself.

#213198 - 14/04/2004 17:34 Re: Noob Question [Re: tfabris]
Gylend
new poster

Nice! Firmware is Verison 1.03, needs updating, now just gotta find me a Null Cable modem and find the right upgrade file and im in... Btw my brother was planning on buying a convertible to put his empeg in, so he never installed it in his own vehichle.. my father on the other hand probably didnt grab the box with it when he picked up his belongings, i wasnt with him.... I will call up a roommate he had possible has it still.. thanks for info again! You guys rock.